Boost pedal

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

brinktile
Rocker

Post by brinktile » Fri May 25, 2007 9:40 pm

Sweet, I'll give it a try.

What do you think about the combination pedals with 2 switches a Boost and a switch for the gain?

Jarred.

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Fri May 25, 2007 10:16 pm

Here's how a boost pedals works...I think it's been stated but not this simply.

1. In front of the amp on the overdrive channel (meaning guitar>boost>amp). This will basically give you more overdrive and not much of a volume boost.
2. In the effects loop. This will give you a true volume increase due to it's position in the signal path.

Now, on the clean channel it will give you a volume boost either way.

If you are using an overdrive pedal for your dirty sound put the boost AFTER the OD pedal for a volume boost. Put it BEFORE the OD pedal to add more gain.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

brinktile
Rocker

Post by brinktile » Fri May 25, 2007 10:18 pm

Got It!

Thanks. No comment on the combo type ZVEX pedals?

Jarred

Hgain
Rocker

Post by Hgain » Fri May 25, 2007 11:17 pm

I use a Zvex Super Hard On (SHO) pedal with my Rocker 30 , Ad-15 and Tiny T. etc. It is a killer boost pedal that is transparent to the ear. I adjust my amp to where I want the tone and put the volume at about 8 on my guitar vol pot...then when I want to rip , I hit the vol pot and/or the SHO and it really works well....Have not tried the 2 in one Zvex..My Rocker 30 and TT have the gain I need....Once you start adding allot of Non-Orange Gain via a pedal , you begin to destroy the sound character of the Orange amp...The SHO does not do that and thats why I use it ONLY......Try the Zvex stuff.. it is very good. There are other good ways to go as people have mentioned the other very good boost brands....but I like the SHO the best. 8)

brinktile
Rocker

Post by brinktile » Sat May 26, 2007 2:13 am

Hey thanks for the input. I picked up a Demeter Fat overdrive pedal a little while ago. I think it will do the trick just fine in conjunction with my RC Boost. I'll update you later tonight when I have time to plug in.

Thanks, Jarred.

starfly59
Rocker

Post by starfly59 » Sat May 26, 2007 5:32 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by brinktile</i>
<br />Sweet, I'll give it a try.

What do you think about the combination pedals with 2 switches a Boost and a switch for the gain?

Jarred.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hope it helps. (:

That new Fulltone pedal GT-500 or something that's coming out is wired like that and I think the ZVex Box of rock is like that. Also, the Diamond J-Drive is. Nice concept and I'm sure they all sound great.

For me, I use the Fulltone Fulldrive II MOSFET (basically it's two different switches for gain levels with the second switch giving only a slight volume boost) and the Electro Harmonix LPB-1 (a nice but cheap boost pedal) as a full volume boost after the Fulltone. I also have the MI Audio Crunchbox set for more Marshall-like, thicker tones. It's in between the LPB-1 and Fulldrive so I can boost it's gain with the Fulldrive (LOTS of gain!) or boost it's volume with the LPB-1. That's a lot of dirt options, plenty for me!
Amp: Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 combo
Guitars: Gibson LP, Fender Tele, Fender Strat.
Lots of pedals: Zvex Box of Rock, Fuzz Factory, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Keeley Compressor, EHX Micro POG, Boss DD20, Line 6 DL4, etc, etc.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat May 26, 2007 10:43 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by brinktile</i>
<br />I need a good boost pedal, any suggestions? I've Got a Tube screamer and an RC boost. They dont boost my signal enough for lead work, even when cranked all the way up.

What is everyone using for a boost?

Thanks, Jarred.
<br />
Sorry, I haven't read all your replys, but I'll chip in with my two cents.
First of all, do you need a gain boost or volume boost?
If you want volume boost you should plug your RC boost through your FX loop. Input for gain boost.

Otherwise I wouldn't believe that any other boost pedal will be any better, cause the RC boost is a very popular boost. Maybe you need something else? A treble boost perhaps? Or maybe a Zvex super hard on which operates a little diffently than a regular boost..
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

brinktile
Rocker

Post by brinktile » Sun May 27, 2007 2:27 am

Hey David, I need a volume boost. But I have no FX loop in my Retro 50 head. The problem was that I had a great overdriven sound that I loved with my gain around 2 or 3 o'clock, but when I went into a lead the boost just didnt deliver. It wasnt loud enough. So I backed down the gain and the boost is great, but I loose that overdriven sound. Thus the problem.

Having said that I think I have it fixed. I just need to run a gain boost, then a volume boost. I bought a Demeter fat overdrive pedal to put in front of my RC Boost. I havent had a chance to see if it will do the job.

I'll report back shortly. I just dont want to loose any of my Retro 50 tone. Because it sounds unbelievable "RAW" without a pedal.

Jarred

brinktile
Rocker

Post by brinktile » Sun May 27, 2007 5:32 am

THIS JUST IN!!!

Demeter fat overdrive pedal is PHAAT!! I just set it up in front of my RC Boost than into my Retro 50. Awesome tones plus I've got a good solid boost level with the RC. Still prefer my Retro dry, but I need a boost and this works perfect, plus a wide variety of tones.

I Turn down on the gain to 10 o'clock, volume up around 1-2 o'clock and WHOOOAH!!

I'm impressed with both pedals, no hiss or noticeable noise with my guitar cranked and not playing anything. I guess I'll never need my noisegate. And with the right settings on the Demeter I can dial in a perfect boost for rhythms without loosing my all important "Orange" sound. This was the most expensive pedal I ever bought, $300, and worth it.

Jarred

theinteriorleague
Orange Master

Post by theinteriorleague » Tue May 29, 2007 6:55 pm

I had the zvex 2-in-1. The second boost didn't add anything useable.

The Fulltone gt-500 is supposed to be out in late july/early august, assumming you are early enough on the preorder lists. It is nice in that you can switch the order of the boost and overdrive.

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Tue May 29, 2007 6:56 pm

<br />THIS JUST IN!!!
.....And with the right settings on the Demeter .....This was the most expensive pedal I ever bought, $300, and worth it.

Jarred

Most pedals will kick your pocketbook into your groin.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

brinktile
Rocker

Post by brinktile » Wed May 30, 2007 5:21 am

Thats the truth, but they sure are quiet when I'm not playing :)

Jarred

lvmuthearth

Post by lvmuthearth » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:05 am

anyone use the fat boost pedal (fulltone, I think...)??
Peace, and disturbance thereof,

rockerverbed head

<b>{{{ RV 50! }}}</b>

Gibson SG
Epiphone LP
80's Jackson
Ibanez RG . . .

<b>CATBOX</b>
The Hudson Valley's Premier Black Sabbath Garage Band!

hmmikey
Tiny Terror

Post by hmmikey » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:34 pm

Try to track down an old Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz, set it to 'Gain Boost' mode & sit back and enjoy.

The only thing that comes close is the MXR Micro Amp, but you don't get the option to balance out Treble & Bass with that.
Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2x12 Classic Combo
Marshall JCM 900 4100 Head
Orange OTR 120 Head
'65 Fender Twin Reverb Amp

hmmikey
Tiny Terror

Post by hmmikey » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:34 pm

Try to track down an old Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz, set it to 'Gain Boost' mode & sit back and enjoy.

The only thing that comes close is the MXR Micro Amp, but you don't get the option to balance out Treble & Bass with that.
Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2x12 Classic Combo
Marshall JCM 900 4100 Head
Orange OTR 120 Head
'65 Fender Twin Reverb Amp