active/passive

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Heartsndspades
Orange Master

Post by Heartsndspades » Thu May 10, 2007 12:34 am

im not sure if i asked this before or not but is there anything out their that allows you to switch from active or passive basses w/o changing the input on the amp itself?

on a side not.. if only this was a 4 or 6 string id be all over it!!
http://c.im.craigslist.org/qz/fu/F1dXMC ... 7lOytD.jpg
Bass: orange-ad200b, obc4x10, obc1x15/ ampeg b-15/ fender Jazz/ 74' gibson grabber/ peterson stobeostomp/ ehx deluxe memory man/ malekko b:assmaster/ voodoo labs pedal power 2+/ monster bass cables
Guitar: Fender 69' Tele Thinline/ Ampeg B-15
*korey*

Carlton

Post by Carlton » Thu May 10, 2007 12:39 am

Hearts-
You can use a Radial BigShot i/o or Bassbone:
http://www.tonebone.com
ImageImageImage
1981 Moonstone Exploder / 1963 Gibson EB-0 / 1987 Fender fretless Jazz Special / 1996 Guild Starfire II / 2002 Moonstone B-95 / Orange AD200B / OBC410 / OBC115

Heartsndspades
Orange Master

Post by Heartsndspades » Thu May 10, 2007 12:50 am

awesome man, im liking the bigshot i/o alot.. dont really need the eq on the bassbone.. what do you think though? is the effects loop on the bassbone something that id want if i get some other pedals?
Bass: orange-ad200b, obc4x10, obc1x15/ ampeg b-15/ fender Jazz/ 74' gibson grabber/ peterson stobeostomp/ ehx deluxe memory man/ malekko b:assmaster/ voodoo labs pedal power 2+/ monster bass cables
Guitar: Fender 69' Tele Thinline/ Ampeg B-15
*korey*

Carlton

Post by Carlton » Thu May 10, 2007 3:02 am

I'll have to leave that to you and others. I've never been an effects guy when it comes to bass. There is nothing about the sound of my Moonstone that I would ever want to change!
ImageImageImage
1981 Moonstone Exploder / 1963 Gibson EB-0 / 1987 Fender fretless Jazz Special / 1996 Guild Starfire II / 2002 Moonstone B-95 / Orange AD200B / OBC410 / OBC115

professor plum
Orange Master

Post by professor plum » Thu May 10, 2007 4:55 am

speaking of moonstones i was looking around and this little baby makes me wanna sell my spleen...
http://www.fineguitarconsultants.com/inv3.htm
the first one "2006 Moonstone 000 12-fret cutaway 'Lucky 12 Special'"
:?:
valve.(((J0HN)))Resident village idiot
and some tech helper type said, "Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!" Chet put the guitar on it's stand and said, "Well, how does it sound now?"

bower
Orange Expert

Post by bower » Thu May 10, 2007 9:20 am

what's the difference in tone between active and passive, and what does it mean technically ?

G&L Legacy, Brian Moore i2000, Orange AD30R :D

Carlton

Post by Carlton » Thu May 10, 2007 4:11 pm

Professor,
A quick look on Wikipedia leads me to believe that you can live a fairly good life without your spleen. You may just need to make some minor changes in your lifestyle. Overall, I'd say it would be well worth it. I'll be looking for your spleen on eBay.
Let us know how you like the guitar!
ImageImageImage

paul watts
Orange Master

Post by paul watts » Thu May 10, 2007 5:27 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bower</i>
<br />what's the difference in tone between active and passive, and what does it mean technically ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Well according to the Bloke below:-

Active indicates a preamp or amp present either in the guitar or pickup, essentially if it's an onboard preamp you can alter the mids or bass or treble and the signal is boosted..If the preamp is in the pickup,like EMG's or any other active pickup, the signal is converted from high to low impedance,essentially high -fi, and you get the benefit of noise free operation.Most active circuits in guitar/basses will have a 9/12/18 volt power supply to the preamp circuitry, some are phantom powered by means of an XLR connection
Passive is exactly what it is...you are reliant on your external amplifier to boost the signal...hope that's as clear as...:)
Catch our latest recordings at:http://www.myspace.com/terrymackley.

doombass
Tiny Terror

Post by doombass » Fri May 11, 2007 8:58 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Heartsndspades</i>
<br />awesome man, im liking the bigshot i/o alot.. dont really need the eq on the bassbone.. what do you think though? is the effects loop on the bassbone something that id want if i get some other pedals?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I have the Bassbone but I would go with the Bigshot if seperate eq'ing is'nt necessary. Why? Because I noticed (incidently when I got my AD 200B) that the Bassbone like many pedals sucks some life out of my basses. The Bigshot is true bypass (according to Radial) and the sound benefits from this IMO. If you ever feel like using an effects loop I'm sure there's a nice gadget for this outthere also (possibly true bypass as well). The Bassbone OTOH also has a DI out if you're in need of one. The life sucking is'nt all that bad but for just switching between basses I'd bought the Bigshot if it would've been available at the time I got the Bassbone. Radial seems to make sturdy products.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Fri May 11, 2007 10:46 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Heartsndspades</i>
<br />on a side not.. if only this was a 4 or 6 string id be all over it!!
http://c.im.craigslist.org/qz/fu/F1dXMC ... 7lOytD.jpg
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">We are as one on that! :D
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... ert%20gold

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Fri May 11, 2007 4:50 pm

I think I mentioned in another thread, I use the Big Shot EFX for an effects loop and it's nice. The switch is silent and the true bypass sounds completely clean and they're pretty cheap.

Active electronics usually have some sort of active EQ that allows you to boost or cut as opposed to passive which only allows cut, but they also buffer the signal to negate the tonal losses that occur with a high impedance signal.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact