Speaker Cabs

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Lance Armstrong

Post by Lance Armstrong » Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:34 am

Hee Everybody,
I bought an AD30 not too long ago and I love it! But I still need a cabinet for myself. There's a local shop here that has a 2nd hand Marshall 1960A for sale. Moneywise it's seems a good choice (an Orange is here in Holland twice as expensive if not more), but what do you guys think soundwise?

Is a new Orange worth it? And are there any other cabs interesting?

Thanx a lot!

Lance

jason fisher

Post by jason fisher » Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:40 am

I believe the Orange cabinets have celestion vintage 30's in them. You should check to see what kind of speakers are in the other cabinet. Different speakers, different sound. I have an Orange 4x12 from around 1997. Back then they put in different celestions than they do now but they generally sound the same as the new cabinets. They have a rich full bodied sound with a tight low end (no flop). I used my AD30r with the celestion vintage 30's in a highly respectable studio (kid rock recorded there).The engineer said that my amp has the best and tightest low end he has ever heard in an amp. The best thing for you to do (if you can) is to try your AD30 out on different cabinets and compare. If you can afford it, buy the best one. I have bought many guitars and amps through the years and have sold all of them except for the best ones. If you have cheap stuff than there is always something better to buy that sounds better. If you buy the best to begin with you won't have to go through the problems of buying and reselling it for about half of what you paid. Good luck.

jason
jason

gearnut
Tiny Terror

Post by gearnut » Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:47 pm

I use a 1960a with my ad30tc. It's a nice cab. I prefer the Gt-75's over the vintage 30's any day. My only complaint is that it's a little on the bassy side though.

Lance Paradise

Post by Lance Paradise » Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:52 am

Thanx!

What exactly is the difference between the different Celestion speakers (Vintage 30, GT-75, Greenbacks)?

And is there anyone who uses Fanes?

Lance

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:37 pm

Hello,

If you go to the Celestion Speaker web site here:

http://www.celestion.co.uk/pro/pro.htm

They have sound files of what all the speakers sound like - it's quite interesting to hear the huge differences that a speaker can make to a guitar tone.

Best Wishes to all....

Ben

ko-ko10

Post by ko-ko10 » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:06 pm

hey there. i have a mesa 4x12 loaded with the celestion 30s under my 120-watt orange. it sounds really full, without being bassy. i tried the orange cabs, as well as the marshall 1960 cab, i even tried out a randall 4x12 (hey, i'll try anything once), and the mesa was my favorite.

coy