Thinking of buying an Orange....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

marmalade

Post by marmalade » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:18 pm

Ok i'm thinking of buying an orange Ad30r or tc combo, which isn't important at the moment (though feel free to give your 2 cents) but i have a few questions in general about Orange.

Firstly, how often (and for what expense) are tubes likely to go?

Do Orange insist retailers sell the amp for rrp?

I haven't yet played either of the amps, so if possible would a kind person please describe the clean tone?

Thankyou.

User
Orange Hero

Post by User » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:04 pm

Welcome...

Firstly Tube life... how longs a piece of string? (sorry that’s not very helpful is it...) basically it depends on the make, type, if you wait the whole 2 min to warm up, if your going to do a mid set juggling act with them etc... I think it is widely accepted to keep everything ship shape its advisable to change (i believe the power tubes) once a year (and its not so important on the pre amp), but you don’t want to really be waiting till they pop because it wont just be the tubes that will be worst for ware!!!

rrp, no, i don’t believe they force that on their retailers

I Hope this slightly helps

On the description front, I’m useless at describing sound. lets put it this way i know what i like and i like the sound it produces! Im sure someone else will be able to give a detailed description

Dave
Dave

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:02 am

<b>Clean sound:</b> warm, fat, round. You can put any kind of edge on that clean sound with the AD series.

<b>Tube life:</b> tubes start to wear out the moment you put in a new set of tubes. Play loud and play every day- you'll need new tubes sooner than someone who plays softer and a couple of times a week. There's no perfect answer...

dunno about pricing. But there aren't a lot of Oranges out there for sale so I'd be willing to imagine that dealers will price according to demand and supply... you just need to call or go to several dealers to get the right price.