First Time Orange Girl

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bardo71

Post by bardo71 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:02 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum & I'd appreciate some advice on choosing a good first amp (Orange of course)!

The band I'm in is kind of experimental heavy/psychedelic (Bardo Pond/Kyuss/Soundgarden type guitar sound) & I'm wanting an amp that will carry me through small live venues & recording demos.

I'm not made of money but I appreciate Oranges don't come cheap.

Any help out there ??????

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:21 pm

Well, I don't think you could go wrong with a 30 watt twin channel combo. Yep it's $1500 USA but it's got enough voilume to keep you happy (and contribute to hearing loss) while being able to be turned down to a livable volume. Very cool amp. The other Orange alternative might be a 30 watt twin channel head and a cab of your choice- that would help a little with the Orange weight issue. Billy

jason fisher

Post by jason fisher » Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:54 am

I have both the Ad30R and AD1512 combos. They are both great for live and studio use. The AD30R has a fuller sound (partly from the 2 speakers )than the AD1512 and it has reverb. Live I like the AD30R better but the AD1512 is more portable and easier to get a full driven sound at a smaller volume. If you are playing in a really loud band than the AD30 combo would be great. I haven't tried the twin channel yet but I'm sure it is great.
My suggestion is to save up and buy the best you can get. If you get cheap gear than there will always be better sounding stuff to get. If you get the best, than there is nothing better to get.
I would also suggest that if you can, go to a store with Orange amps to try them all out. The AD30R is a great loud portable amp (about 66 pounds) and is very versatile. I have used mine for hundreds of live shows ranging from small pubs to huge outdoor venues and have not found a gig yet that I need more volume.
Good Luck!

jason
jason