rockerverb 50 versitility problem

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jimbo
Tiny Terror

Post by jimbo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:51 am

Still having problems with my Rockerverb in that i STILL cant get a variety of tones on tap mainly because of the fact the clean channel will only do REALLY clean - no break up till 8 (yes if tried different preamp valves, hotplate etc etc. Im looking for 5 main sounds - that being...

1. Clean clean (funky stuff)
2. Clean with a bit of hair (main rhythm vox30ish)
3. Something between 2 & 4 (think pushed vox ac30 or plexi - sustaining open chords)
4. Distortion rhythm (think bon jovi to rage to green day - sustaining bar chords)
5. Full on squeeling lead

Can i achieve all these sounds from the rockerverb with a couple of overdrives?

My problem is that at the moment my clean channel only does '1' when i would like it to cover 1 and 2, so that channel 2 and my overdrive pedals can cover the rest. Why is this so hard? I might just get a mesa lone star special that actually has a gain and volume on both channels!

jimbo
Tiny Terror

Post by jimbo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:01 am

clean clean is all im getting at the moment, i could brush my teeth with this damn channel

Mondayeyes
Orange Expert

Post by Mondayeyes » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:15 am

Get a clean booster of somesort

MXR microamp or if you wanna throw down a bit of dough (but well worth it) Xotic AC.
-andy

Bad Cat Hot Cat 2x12
US Telecaster
72' Telecaster Deluxe
Epiphone Sheraton II
Various Pedals used in moderation
----------------

Band
www.myspace.com/hushhushcommotion

customandrew
Orange Master

Post by customandrew » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:22 am

i was dealing with the same problem earlier in my orange year and i went out and bought a ts808 which is a very good sound for me

it gives you the in between sort of grit that ends up sounding great on the clean...makes it much more versatile and more like a ad30(dont kill me)

i found that it gave great sounds for bands like strokes which hardly ever use full on distortion but drive their fenders...

great pedal.

otherwise i would say just buy a voxac30...
Orange Rockerverb 50h
Orange PPC212
Gibson ES-335
Fender Strato
<i>Increase The Dosage, Count Back From Ten.</i>
<i> www.myspace.com/williamandrewmusic </i>

<i> http://www.myspace.com/thegrowingrobotpopulation</i>

fuzz
Orange Expert

Post by fuzz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:15 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianFantana</i>
<br />"Clean clean" out of EL-84 based amp?

Might want to check out a Fender Twin Reverb.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I thought that thing had 6l6's?
I just played a tweed reverb the other day, and a supersonic. go-go-gadget! the cleans were so nice, and the dirty channel on the supersonic was superb, even at a low volume.
'86 Gibson SG-62
'83 Jap Squire 70s Strat ala Hendrix
Orange AD30R, DD20, Modded Fuzz Face, Jimi wah, Boss PS-3, RP80

burntorange

Post by burntorange » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:18 am

I feel for ya. I have the exact same issue with my RV50. I still have it but I purchased an original Naylor 38-one channel that does all you are looking for except the "searing" lead. A keeley modded Maxon takes care of that. I also purchased a used Budda stringmaster-two channel that does all 5 of what you are looking for. The clean is clean but is very touch responsive so will break up with guitar volume increase and the dirty channel will go from southern rock crunch to brutal leads {and it weighs half of the Rocker combo}. I have an mxr in the loop but like you I just want the amp do most if not all. I like the RV for what it does but I'm 50 and with my son leaving for college my roadie is gone.Hernias are no fun[:p]

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:42 am

[/quote]
I thought that thing had 6l6's?
I just played a tweed reverb the other day, and a supersonic. go-go-gadget! the cleans were so nice, and the dirty channel on the supersonic was superb, even at a low volume.
[/quote]

I'm wrong again!!! I'm on some serious crack--I am deleting my earlier posts and bowing from this thread to get some sleep!!! :D

Goodnight turkeys!

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:08 am

Jimbo - pedals are the answer there.

Mesa won't do it either unless they've released a 5 channel amp i've not seen.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:26 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jimbo</i>
<br />Still having problems with my Rockerverb in that i STILL cant get a variety of tones on tap mainly because of the fact the clean channel will only do REALLY clean - no break up till 8 (yes if tried different preamp valves, hotplate etc etc. Im looking for 5 main sounds - that being...

1. Clean clean (funky stuff)
2. Clean with a bit of hair (main rhythm vox30ish)
3. Something between 2 & 4 (think pushed vox ac30 or plexi - sustaining open chords)
4. Distortion rhythm (think bon jovi to rage to green day - sustaining bar chords)
5. Full on squeeling lead

Can i achieve all these sounds from the rockerverb with a couple of overdrives?

My problem is that at the moment my clean channel only does '1' when i would like it to cover 1 and 2, so that channel 2 and my overdrive pedals can cover the rest. Why is this so hard? I might just get a mesa lone star special that actually has a gain and volume on both channels!
<br />
If you want clean cleans, why didn't you get the 100 in the first place?
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

jimbo
Tiny Terror

Post by jimbo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:27 am

another annoying thing is, is it me or is it impossible to get a volume boost on solos? I mean if your gain is already fairly high and you kick on a overdrive, clean boost, pickup booster whatever, then its only gonna drive the preamp harder....?

Phate
Rocker

Post by Phate » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:32 am

How about pulling one fuse from the power tubes and plug your (hopefully it is) 16 Ohm cab into the 8 Ohm plug. The amp will then run in 25 Watts mode. Power amp distortion will then be easier to achieve!

Maybe that helps you?
Ole

ImageImage

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:57 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jimbo</i>
<br />another annoying thing is, is it me or is it impossible to get a volume boost on solos? I mean if your gain is already fairly high and you kick on a overdrive, clean boost, pickup booster whatever, then its only gonna drive the preamp harder....?

Irish has it on this one for sure. Pedals ARE your friend.

For that clean with some grit - find the right pedal for you (I like the Fulltone OCD and the Xotic AC pedals for that purpose with my RV50).

AND as for the solo boost - find a boost pedal you like (I prefer the Zvex SHO or the Xotic RC boost) and run it in the effects loop - that will give you the boost you want <i>on your dirty channel</i>. If you want to boost the clean channel, well, just run the boost pedal out front.

It may sound weird, but I think an ideal setup with the RV (for versatiltity and not having to mess with the amps knobs live) is to have 4-7 different boost/OD/Dist/gain pedals, each serving a different purpose or tone variety, most out front and one or 2 on the loop. You <b>will</b> get your "versatiltiy" that way.
Greg

jimbo
Tiny Terror

Post by jimbo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:23 pm

... interesting. that seems to be the route im going for. I currently have a t-rex moller (overdrive and boost) a fulltone fulldrive II (ovdrv and bst) and am thinking about putting something in the loop

orangenoise
Orange Expert

Post by orangenoise » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:26 pm

I work with exactly the same ideas in mind for gain steps. I also have the RV50. Here's what I do with great success...

1.) Clean is just the RV50's clean channel with volume at 11:00.
2.) "Sting Clean" is the RV50's clean channel with a Menatone Top Boost in a Can set to taste.
3.) "Jangle" is the RV50's dirty channel at noon to 1:00 with a RC Booster set to drop the volume going into the amp.
4.) "Crunch" is the RV50's dirty channel at noon to 1:00 straight up.
5.) "Chunk" is the RV50's dirty channel at noon to 1:00 with any volume boost of your choosing. Set to taste. I also use a MJM Blues Devil sometimes on top of the dirty channel to get a massive lead tone.

Hope that helps...

-rob
-<font color="orange"><b>orangenoise</b></font id="orange">

http://www.myspace.com/orangenoise

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:49 pm

Yeah, it seems like it will be very versatile with just two of the right pedals. One on the clean channel and one on the dirty. You have a channel switching pedal so that gives you four distinct sounds without any adjustment. It would be easy enough to use a pedal with a couple of switches/settings or to add more if you want to get really wild with it. That's quite a lot of sounds without ever having to touch the amp or use a midi device.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;