Orange AD15/12 vs. Vox AC 15

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

voodoochild292

Post by voodoochild292 » Wed May 01, 2002 11:23 pm

I'm pretty sure that I'll be buying one of these amps some day soon. Can anyone compare their experiences with both of them. I am wondering in particular if the Orange is a little more versatile. I have found that it's hard to get a Vox to sound like anything but a Vox. I'm thinking with the added mid control in the Orange and the active tone controls, the Orange might be a little more versatile.

Thanks!

gearnut
Tiny Terror

Post by gearnut » Thu May 02, 2002 11:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I'm pretty sure that I'll be buying one of these amps some day soon. Can anyone compare their experiences with both of them. I am wondering in particular if the Orange is a little more versatile. I have found that it's hard to get a Vox to sound like anything but a Vox. I'm thinking with the added mid control in the Orange and the active tone controls, the Orange might be a little more versatile.

Thanks!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Well, I think in some ways the two are very similar. Oranges definitely sound like oranges, although tonally you might have just a bit more flexibility than the vox. But both are one trick ponies. If you're looking for lots of flexibility, this might not be the amp for you.

voodoochild292

Post by voodoochild292 » Thu May 02, 2002 4:42 pm

Thanks!

davidofdavidom

Post by davidofdavidom » Sun May 05, 2002 12:13 am

the Vox is not a one trick pony, uts a versitile senstive amp, dependent on guitar, pick up, dynamics, and Lastly EQ!
I have a 62 AC30, an OR120, and a RI AC15, and its amazing, and I have tried the orange, very difficult to work on, and lack of Mojo.

gearnut
Tiny Terror

Post by gearnut » Sun May 05, 2002 11:29 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
the Vox is not a one trick pony, uts a versitile senstive amp, dependent on guitar, pick up, dynamics, and Lastly EQ!
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

I'd say the same thing about my Orange. What I meant was that they each have their own specific sound and character and no matter how you eq it, it's still a vox or orange. That's not a bad thing either! Nothing sounds like a vox or an orange, as opposed to say a Rivera that has channels voiced like a fender and marshall.

voodoochild292

Post by voodoochild292 » Mon May 06, 2002 5:15 am

I guess any amp that's not a "modeling" amp is going to be a "one-trick-pony" so to speak. I mean every amp has it's own characteristics. You can't get a JCM 800 to sound like a Twin Reverb. It sounds like an 800. I just meant that sometimes Vox amps have more midrange than I want for a specific sound and I thought maybe the Orange has better tone-shaping abilities because of the mid-range control (which the AC 15 doesn't have) and the active tone controls. I've heard that Oranges sound similar to Voxs so this would make a lot of sense for me.

gearnut
Tiny Terror

Post by gearnut » Mon May 06, 2002 2:04 pm

I guess any amp that's not a "modeling" amp is going to be a "one-trick-pony" so to speak. I mean every amp has it's own characteristics. You can't get a JCM 800 to sound like a Twin Reverb. It sounds like an 800. I just meant that sometimes Vox amps have more midrange than I want for a specific sound and I thought maybe the Orange has better tone-shaping abilities because of the mid-range control (which the AC 15 doesn't have) and the active tone controls. I've heard that Oranges sound similar to Voxs so this would make a lot of sense for me.

That's true. They are similar. The orange still has that warm/midrangey feel. No scooped mids here really. It's a neat amp in that it's especially sensitive to tube switching and speakers. You can definitely fine-tune by switching tubes or speakers. I've been thinking about getting some greenbacks to try...

davidofdavidom

Post by davidofdavidom » Tue May 07, 2002 9:14 pm

sorry I just wanted an arguement, actually the tone pots on an ac15 increase gain too I think...