orange 2x12 and 4x12

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Austin_OLaughlin

Post by Austin_OLaughlin » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:25 am

How is the sound stacked on top of each other compared to 4x12 by itself? im thinking of purchasing a 2x12 now and a tiny terror soon after to use with the 2x12 but would also use it for my stack with my ad 140.

dylan
Orange Master

Post by dylan » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:02 am

id be interested in knowing this also, i have heard on this forum before that when you plug in a 2x12 along with a 4x12 that the 4x12 is not as loud as the 2x12,
but i dont know how true that is,

im sure acorcos would be able to awnser this one though

cheers

dylan
~Ian~

Gigady, Gigady, Gigady!

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:19 am

If you had the same speaks, VIN30s for example, and both cabs were the same impedence, and you hit both cabs with the same power, I would expect the 4x12 to be slightly louder due to that elusive acoustic coupling thing. If you ran the calculation, one would not be louder than the other (assuming you stayed within the SPL range that a 2x12 could hit). The reality is there's a coupling phenom that reenforces more than the equation would suggest...

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purveyor of permanent hearing loss since 1978

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:21 am

I have a 2x12 stacked on a 4x12. The 2x12 is louder but it's also open back so I don't know how much of the difference is due to that. Both cabs use V30s.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pages plexitone</i>
<br />If you had the same speaks, VIN30s for example, and both cabs were the same impedence, and you hit both cabs with the same power, I would expect the 4x12 to be slightly louder due to that elusive acoustic coupling thing. If you ran the calculation, one would not be louder than the other (assuming you stayed within the SPL range that a 2x12 could hit). The reality is there's a coupling phenom that reenforces more than the equation would suggest...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Assuming two 16ohm loads....

You're splitting the signal in parallel and sending it to two equal loads. One load consists of two speakers and the other load consists of four speakers. Therefore the two speaker load is recieving equal power to the four speaker load, and thus the two speakers will be driven harder.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:52 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by screamingdaisy</i>
<br />I have a 2x12 stacked on a 4x12. The 2x12 is louder but it's also open back so I don't know how much of the difference is due to that. Both cabs use V30s.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pages plexitone</i>
<br />If you had the same speaks, VIN30s for example, and both cabs were the same impedence, and you hit both cabs with the same power, I would expect the 4x12 to be slightly louder due to that elusive acoustic coupling thing. If you ran the calculation, one would not be louder than the other (assuming you stayed within the SPL range that a 2x12 could hit). The reality is there's a coupling phenom that reenforces more than the equation would suggest...

Assuming two 16ohm loads....

You're splitting the signal in parallel and sending it to two equal loads. One load consists of two speakers and the other load consists of four speakers. Therefore the two speaker load is recieving equal power to the four speaker load, and thus the two speakers will be driven harder.

Yep, the individual speaks in the 2x12 will be getting twice the juice that the speaks in the 4x12 are getting...the open back thing will make a heck of a difference in how it disperses etc.

So the equation

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purveyor of permanent hearing loss since 1978

Austin_OLaughlin

Post by Austin_OLaughlin » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:43 pm

so will the sound be "more full" or sound really crappy with the 2x12 overpowering it?

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:21 am

Do you suppose that six speakers will sound less full than two?
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

teenagekick
Orange Master

Post by teenagekick » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:24 am

Personally, i would just go with 2 4x12's...........
hi, i'm ross. i'm 16 and i live in north london. i have rocker 30 combo and a Gordon Smith Gypsy 2 in black.

finally a sig i can be proud of!!