Pay Your money and take a chance!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Derek W Cumbers

Post by Derek W Cumbers » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:19 am

Hi

without sounding big headed I have owned most amps but never really understood them, not ever owbing a Orange I have spent the last 5 years playing with Line 6 Fender Hughes & Kettner modeling amps.

Then I did dome friends a favor and stood in on a 60's cover band as their lead guitarist. I took my VETTAII and praciced the normal lead player was on holiday but had left his amp a Fender hot rod delux combo 3 channels etc, well I plugged it in and had a sneeky play

Just be in mind this is a £450 amp! not £2.000 I loved the clean sounds Buddy Holly Shadows loads of stuff then I went and messed with the drive channel could not get it as dirty as I like but it was not mine so I left it alone. The amp sounded very very good.

Point I am building up to sorry to waffle on but I have read about New Orange amps 50w combo rocerverb's and the Orange AD30TC has anyone ever played a Fender Hot Rod deleux against a Orange and is the Orange what I may need

I want a real real super clean channel
I want a nice crunchY ryhtham channel
I want a nice real dirty gritty channel
I want some where to plug my ZOOM508 Echo so I can play the Shadows as well.
I want it to be good at low volume levels (not having to crank it up all the time)
I want it to be a combo not a head

so is that possible who can give me some advice "OK I want to learn how to spell to"

I have just bought a Mesa Boogie Lonestar £1.850.00 (I think its very over rated and does not do it for me!!!!

thanking you

BIG DEREK<b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>

DW CUMBERS
DW CUMBERS

saewat

Post by saewat » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:53 pm

Have you ever thought about having a A/B box and two different amps?

If i could have any sound i want, i would use vintage fender deluxe reverb for clean, orange AD30 for overdrive. That would be perfect for me.

Haven't tried the deluxe reverb with a les paul though, i wonder how that sounds

Sae "say what?" Lee
Sae "say what?" Lee

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:04 pm

Hot Rod Deluxe and AD30TC couldn't be further away from each other.

For starters, hit an open chord and switch channels with the Fender- listen to the volume drop as the amp switches. Now do it with the Orange- no volume drop...

Then there's the tone... no contest. The Orange is a world-class amp- the Fender is not. That's why Fender makes the Pro series amps of which, the HR Deluxe isn't one of them. If you want a quality Fender, you're going to have to spring for the more expensive amps, but I still prefer the sound of the Oranges but now it's a matter of taste...

Although I will say, we tried out one of the new Fender hand-wired Tweed Twin reissues, and the Orange (albeit the AD140TC) blew it away in terms of tone and responsiveness- and this is Fender's foray into the boutique market. I wanted to love that amp.... but it just didn't sound good.

Anyway, HR Deluxe is a stepping stone to getting the better sounding amp IMHO. There's a reason it's the price it is...

Billy

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:12 pm

It's my feeling that no single amp will ever cover everything from sparkling super clean, to lovely crunchy rhythm tone, then on sweet sweet lead tones. A lot will cover them all, but there will always be another amp that is better in one of the areas.

For me, the Orange ADs cover clean to mid-gain crunch very well, and as Billy said, they really are world class. I was getting a tubescreamer used from the States to cover lead sounds, but it's been 2 and a half weeks and it still hasn't arrived yet (by the way, has anyone else ever experienced these kind of delays when getting parcels from the US?).

I play a Les Paul and a naff Strat. The Les Paul packs a beefy punch, so I don't really like it for clean melodic sounds, and although it can stretch to it, single coils sound better. Then again, my Strat doesn't really cut the mustard with crunch as much as my LP does. As I mentioned the Strat is pretty knackered. Gonna get me a G&L ASAT as soon as I can afford one...

Don't tell me the best way, just tell me the cheapest way...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...