More on Pickups

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:53 pm

I went to see a local band over Exeter last Saturday - Drivin South - good pub rock band, sadly their last gig as they are splitting up.

The lead player with a Black Les Paul had put Bare Knuckle Emerald PUS in through a Marshall. He had a real gritty sound, could hear all the strings and so on. Good clarity. Solos were a bit quiet - no boost or anything, but overall I liked the tone he got.

The Rhythm player had put the Bare Knuckle Irish Tour set in his Strat. Again good clarity... liked them.

I've put SD 59's in the Standard - which are a lot better than the 490R/498T garbage, may have to put some Bare Knuckles on for the Christmas wish list.... (expensive compared to SD though - better be worth it).

Anyone else tried the Emeralds in a LP?
Cheers
Brian

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:02 pm

C'ant say that I have,but if I find that I d'ont like the BB I,& II's in the R8 I just bought-I'm probably going to look into some Wolfetones. These things are really picking up some steam over here in the States!!! :) I did look into BK's almost a year ago now,but I simply c'ant see spending that kind of dough on pickups~ [:0]
Hugh

anolanbfg
Orange Hero

Post by anolanbfg » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:03 pm

I have the irish tours in my strat- top notch
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Taylor 310- Koa
Orange Rocker 30

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:09 pm

Awesome pickups no questions asked.

Yes they are pricy, but they are worth it in my opinion.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

orangenoise
Orange Expert

Post by orangenoise » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:38 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by the orangewizard</i>
<br />C'ant say that I have,but if I find that I d'ont like the BB I,& II's in the R8 I just bought-I'm probably going to look into some Wolfetones. These things are really picking up some steam over here in the States!!! :) I did look into BK's almost a year ago now,but I simply c'ant see spending that kind of dough on pickups~ [:0]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I put some wolftone Dr. Vintage pickups in my R7. Man what a tone... absolutely perfect.
-<font color="orange"><b>orangenoise</b></font id="orange">

http://www.myspace.com/orangenoise

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:40 pm

How about some before and after sound clips?

:D
Mark

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:08 pm

Brian......I haven't tried the Miracle Man pickup but i have 3 humbucking guitars with Bare Knuckle pickups in and they all sound great. They are quality pickups and he is very good at sussing out just what it is YOU want.He keeps your windings and resistence figures on record...so if you order again you can say "a little bit more or a little bit less".
He is also an excellent guitar player and has toured with household names.
I use Stormy Mondays (Paf output) in my 335 and Les Paul, a Stormy Monday and a Mule (PAF plus)in my SG and i also have a Riff Raff but i found that too bright in the SG so i'll probably put it in my other Les Paul to brighten it up.
Regards,
Brian
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:05 pm

Brian,

I'll add my voice to the chorus of approval. I've got a Mule and Cold Sweat humbucker that are both fantastic. The Cold Sweat is more "modern" sounding and excels at the more heavily overdriven stuff, whilst the Mule is a more trad sounding humbucker and sounds better clean. Very good for the mid-gain rock tones.

I also have an Irish Tour in the neck of my Gordon Smith now... wow, what a pickup.

Can't recommend them enough.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

customandrew
Orange Master

Post by customandrew » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:21 pm

i have often dreamed of putting them in my es335 but i never could decide if it would be worth it because alot of people speak highly of the 57's that are in my guitar at the moment...
Orange Rockerverb 50h
Orange PPC212
Gibson ES-335
Fender Strato
<i>Increase The Dosage, Count Back From Ten.</i>
<i> www.myspace.com/williamandrewmusic </i>

<i> http://www.myspace.com/thegrowingrobotpopulation</i>

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:50 pm

I've been on the fence for a set of BKP for almost a year now.....the problem is that I can't make up my mind if I want Mules, Mule/Black Dog, or Mule/Cold Sweat.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:00 pm

I see he's (BK) just moved from Barnstaple down to Falmouth - bugger, bit of a drive.

BrianGT - did you discuss before you bought?
I know what I'm looking for - it's the Jazz/JB mix I have on my gigging Ibanez, but on the Standard but with the Standard's sustain and allround woddier sound. The 59's I put in are a hellofa improvement on the 490/498 but are still not where I want it to be.

Given I'm more low to mid gain (gain knob hasn't made it past 11 o'clock on the RV50 yet) - but I like humbuckers (split).
The BK's that look "me" are:-

Neck...
Stormy Monday
Mule

Bridge...
Emerald

and I've heard gppd things about the Geoff Whitehorn "Crawler".
Cheers
Brian

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:01 pm

CustomAndrew.........it was 57 classics i took out of my 335 and replaced with the Stormy Monday's.
I like the 57's , for me they are the best current Gibson pickups.
The Bareknuckles are just a bit sweeter and so toneful. They have a clarity to them that i haven't found in other pickups.

Joe......in my Strat i have a set of Experience pickups.......they are AWESOME!
They are made by the guy who helped Tim at Bareknuckles get started.He gave Tim all the knowledge and finnesse he needed to get going.He likes to fly below the radar so i won't print his name.
So you could say they are from the master!8)
Pleased you are liking yours too!
Brian
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

customandrew
Orange Master

Post by customandrew » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:03 pm

so brian,

would you recommend the stormy mondays for a semihollowbody?
Orange Rockerverb 50h
Orange PPC212
Gibson ES-335
Fender Strato
<i>Increase The Dosage, Count Back From Ten.</i>
<i> www.myspace.com/williamandrewmusic </i>

<i> http://www.myspace.com/thegrowingrobotpopulation</i>

z00york
Orange Hero

Post by z00york » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:07 pm

I have a mule in my jaguar neck, which I am very very impressed by, am gonna look at another BKP in the bridge, any recommendations? I'm not looking for anything metal, more jazzy, trashy and surfy.
<b>Rocker 30</b> <b>PPC212</b>
<b>Fender Jaguar HH with BKP Mule Pickups</b>
<b>Fender Mustang 62 reissue cherry</b>
<b>EHX Hot Tubes</b>
<b>EHX Octave Multiplexer</b>
<b>EHX Nano LPB-1</b>
<b>EHX Holy Grail</b>
<b>Pedaltrain 2</b>
<b>Akai E2 Headrush</b>

http://www.myspace.com/vonnegutcommanage

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:07 pm

Brian.....
I too like medium gain..........so i think the Miracle Man would be a bit too hot for you...it is for me.

I would suggest a Stormy Monday in the neck..about 7.8k and a Mule in the bridge at about 8.4k.At
7.8 k in the neck it is so open...clear and rounded without the boom of the Gibson 490R.

Yes i discussed it with Tim first....he really does know all the pickups out there and he can tell from what you like what would suit you. He is easy to talk to and doesn't push you....he let's you go where you want to go but offers great advice to enable you to get what you want.
I bought mine "over the phone" and he hit it on the nail each time.
He also offers that you can send it back and he will alter it to suit if you aren't happy.
Brian
BrianGT