Les Paul Standards....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:11 am

...with the rosewood fretboards. How are they going to be tonally different from Customs with ebony? Now that my Custom has sold,I'm seriously thinking about just going with the 'ole tried and true Standard! :) Pickups aside,what MAJOR differences can I expect :?:
Hugh

acorkos
Orange Master

Post by acorkos » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:08 am

if you are shopping for a standard, i recommend you look at the custom shop historic reissues....the 57 reissue goldtops are a great value, and in terms of construction and tone, they mop the floor with gibson usa standards.

historics get the best, lightest weight wood. gibson usa standards get the heavy stuff into which they drill weight relief holes to lighten them up. the historics also get a long neck tenon, which makes a huge difference....the neck is inserted and glued deeper into the body, as far as the neck pickup route. this extra wood connection allows string vibration to extend up into the neck and headstock. the first time i strummed my R7 unamplified, i thought i was hearing an echo off the wall to my left....it turned out the headstock was resonating as loud as the guitar body. it freaked me out....it's like this guitar is alive with resonance.

i've owned several les pauls over the years....a 1973 deluxe, a 1970 custom, a 1977 standard, a 2001 standard, a 2001 gibson usa junior, a 2001 historic R7 junior....and the two i own now are the best made, the lightest, best playing and best sounding of the bunch: 2001 R7 goldtop/darkback and 2004 R8 faded tobaccoburst...

CustomsLou
Orange Master

Post by CustomsLou » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:09 am

Acorkos is right. I wouldn't buy a Gibson USA LP Standard. For a bit more money you get the long neck tenon, better wood, better pickups, and better construction. The R7 Goldtop and the R8 Plaintop are the best bang for the buck. The Standard is a good guitar- until you play the Custom Shop LPs. Then you can tell the difference.

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:50 am

Guys,I appreciate the heads up,I really do. But I'm not freakin' Jimmy Page....I d'ont need the BEST Les Paul,just a SOLID Paul at a fair price! There's one I'm looking at on the bay right now-a 1998 sunburst up in Canada. I think I can talk the guy down a couple quid too! :) The link is simply too long to type out right now,but if anyone happens to go there and see it,please tell me what you think~
Alright,the item # is 150067331089- so if you type that into the uppermost right search box,the guitar I'm looking at will come up~
Hugh

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:49 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the first time i strummed my R7 unamplified, i thought i was hearing an echo off the wall to my left....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Last week I ran into a LP Custom and I had to try it, I remembered this quote since earlier so I was excited for the resonance in this Custom guitar. I never plugged it in but I can honestly say that the differences between this LP Custom and my LP STD was.. none..

Same unamplified tone..
As loud resonance..
As similar neck as I didn't notice any difference..
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

CustomsLou
Orange Master

Post by CustomsLou » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:10 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the first time i strummed my R7 unamplified, i thought i was hearing an echo off the wall to my left....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Last week I ran into a LP Custom and I had to try it, I remembered this quote since earlier so I was excited for the resonance in this Custom guitar. I never plugged it in but I can honestly say that the differences between this LP Custom and my LP STD was.. none..

Same unamplified tone..
As loud resonance..
As similar neck as I didn't notice any difference..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's because the LP Custom, except for the Historic series reissues, has the same construction as a Standard. They both have short neck tenons and the same quality of wood. The modern Custom has more binding and decoration, but is no different in construction.

The Historic series LP Customs have long neck tenon, better woods, and better pickups. They are also more expensive.

acorkos
Orange Master

Post by acorkos » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:53 pm

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:17 pm

My experience with LP Standards is you have to try a lot of them to get one you like... I tried about a dozen standards some of which had double resonances, some had deadspots and one out of the twelve was basically good - the one I bought. Personally I think this variability is a pain but there you go. The Standard I have is good - or at least it is now I've swapped out the crap 490/498 PUs for some Duncan 59's and taken off the crap bridge saddles (absolute crap finish and slices strings every time you play) - for some GraphTechs - now a totally different guitar but the basic woodwork and sustain, uniformity of notes, absense of dead spots etc - took a bit of work to get hold of one.

For what they are they are expensive, a lot of variability in dead spots / double resonances etc and crap hardware - you'd be better advised to buy secondhand from someone whose already been through this pain and fixed all the things that need fixing.
Cheers
Brian

orangenoise
Orange Expert

Post by orangenoise » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:54 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by acorkos</i>
<br />

i've owned several les pauls over the years....a 1973 deluxe, a 1970 custom, a 1977 standard, a 2001 standard, a 2001 gibson usa junior, a 2001 historic R7 junior....and the two i own now are the best made, the lightest, best playing and best sounding of the bunch: 2001 R7 goldtop/darkback and 2004 R8 faded tobaccoburst...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I think I may have the same guitars as you!!! My picture is not very good; but still... Very nice!!! :D

BTW... just put a pair of Wolfetone Dr. Vintage pickups in my R7. Holy smokes! Anyone who thinks a Les Paul will always sound muddy needs to play this guitar.
-<font color="orange"><b>orangenoise</b></font id="orange">

http://www.myspace.com/orangenoise

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by acorkos</i>
<br />http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0067331089 overpriced. you are better off with a guitar like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-58- ... 0059370945
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> Now that is a good price-thanks buddy,I just bid on that one! :)
Hugh

acorkos
Orange Master

Post by acorkos » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:26 pm

good luck...that is a sweet looking burst

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:47 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by the orangewizard</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by acorkos</i>
<br />http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0067331089 overpriced. you are better off with a guitar like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-58- ... 0059370945
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> Now that is a good price-thanks buddy,I just bid on that one! :)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> My new Les Paul!!! 8)8)8) A heart-felt thanks to acorkos,as I d'ont think I would have found this!!! :)
Hugh

CustomsLou
Orange Master

Post by CustomsLou » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:05 am

Congratulations. A nice Custom Shop Historic in a nice gloss finish. Good luck with it.

bobbypfalcon
Orange Expert

Post by bobbypfalcon » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:18 am

I have an '83 Custom Shop Standard and an '81 Standard. The '81 is a more resonant and fuller-sounding guitar and is also the heaviest one I've had my hands on. Another poster commented on "better, lighter wood" making for a more resonant LP - I wholeheartedly disagree. The most resonant electrics I've played - regardless of make or model - were always heavier. Both of my LP's are heavy and resonant - the '81 has the elusive "it" factor that keeps it entrenched as my main guitar. I keep trying Standard's from various eras and nothing can touch it. I paid $450 for it in '95...

Orange D_i_c_k

Post by Orange D_i_c_k » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:46 pm

I'm almost embarrassed to tell how many LP's I've been through in my personal quest to find "THEE" LP.

'96 std (USA Prod.), '95 special (USA), '97 Studio Gem, '98 special (USA), '01(?) Junior (USA), '01 Junior (Historic), '03 Special (Historic), '03 58 Std. RI, '03 57 Custom RI, '99 54 Gold Top RI, '99 56 Gold Top RI, '04 57 Gold Top RI, '05 59 Std RI, '06 Studio Plus (USA)... and a few others I can't remember.

Basically, as someone has already pointed out, they were all over the place. The Historics, as a group were just as hit or miss as the USA Production. There were 3 that I would call "keepers" in that list... The '98 USA Special, the '54 Gold Top RI, and an '06 Studio Plus. I still own the '06. I could kick myself for selling the '54 GT as it was truly the best LP I've ever laid hands on. Dumb mistake on my part.