ad 140 htc help

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Austin_OLaughlin

Post by Austin_OLaughlin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:34 am

so i got my ad 140 htc in the mail today .. it sounds amazing very warm and it has a nice crunch .. one problem though.. it doesnt seem loud for an amp with 140 clean and 200 w distorted.. i turned the gain all the way up and the volume half way and it is not that loud on my previous marshall jcm2000 which is a 100W amp i could only turn the volume to like 3 or 4 and it would be too loud. The description said it should be able to rock full stadiums according to "On first consideration, many people consider a 140 watt amp to only be suitable for full on stadium rock! " I have it set to 120 W on the power in the back and it plugged into my marshall 1960 A cab at 8 ohms. Has anyone else had the same problem?

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:08 am

The volume on the AD140 is all hiding in the very last bit of sweep on that master volume. You'll hear it ramp up a lot when you turn it way up.

That being said, the amp just isn't all that loud compared to other 100W'ers. Oranges have a dark tone, and lots of lows...so percieved volume is less than something like a JCM800.

That 140W, 200W stuff is a bunch of bull if you ask me.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Austin_OLaughlin

Post by Austin_OLaughlin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:42 am

so it is not as loud as the marshall jcm2000 100w? i really like the sound of it. i just thought it wasnt designed to be cranked in smaller areas but it didnt really seem to loud. the amp plays great i just thought it would be louder,i can probably mic it when im playing gigs. also does putting it into an orange cab at 16 ohms make a differences than playing it at 8 ohms on another cab?

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:06 am

It gets uber loud between 3 oclock and full up on the master volume. It's way louder than a Marshall (I A/B with a JCM900) in that range.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

Austin_OLaughlin

Post by Austin_OLaughlin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:10 am

i guess ill have to test it out tommorow. but i am pretty sure today that i turned it up past 3 oclock for clean and distortion.. and had gain very high.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:22 am

Ade Emsleys (Orange Amps designer) first ever post here on the forum which was on exactly the same subject...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ade Emsley</i>
(http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... hichpage=2)

<br />The master volume pot taper on the AD30/140TC has a slow graduation! This is less noticable on the 30watt because it is cathode biased, adding compression, making it louder at low volumes! All of the power on a 140 comes in with the master between 9 and 10, making it very easy to control! However, this is probably not the case with other brands of amps and it seems that certain players are not used to this.The AD140 does actually make (depending on tubes) between 125 and 145 watts (clean) but the master must be on 10 to get this power! EL34`s run at around 450 vdc (plate and screen)in most amps of around 100watts, using four of them. However, the AD140 puts 550vdc on the plate and 380vdc on the screen (from separate transformer windings) giving more actual power! If the amp is good working order with a good healthy set of tubes, it should make the kind of power mentioned above.
Best regards to all

Ade Emsley
Orange amplification
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

On the Marshall / Orange volume thing, Marshalls often sound louder as they put out more high mids which cut through a mix very well. It takes up way more amp power putting out the Oranges much fuller low and low / mids.

Also the speakers used make a huge difference. If your Marshall cab is one with the 75 watt Celestions then while they work well with Marshalls they just aren't a great choice for the Oranges different sound IMO. They simply don't put out the right frequency spread, so a lot of power is being wasted and not heard. V.30s do the job much better which is why Orange uses them...

But yes, Master on 10 if you want maximum output!

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.