So I'm auditioning...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

LesPaulKing
Orange Expert

Post by LesPaulKing » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:20 am

For Berklee December 2nd...any tips/encouragment welcome...
'71 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, and a beat up Telecaster - Ernie Ball Volume Jr. - Route 66 - DD-20 - AD30H w/ Avatar 2x12 open back cab

2005 Taylor 315ce/Old Gibson J200 custom (using this one too for slide)

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:26 am

Don't be nervous, play from the heart and you will never be wrong.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:27 am

From the words of Lemmy, dont let them grind you down.
Let them beg you to join in, and good luck.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:55 am

Lemmy would punch them if they didn't like it.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:06 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rrrajo</i>
<br />Lemmy would punch them if they didn't like it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><u></u>Lemmy is a very good bass player.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

professor plum
Orange Master

Post by professor plum » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:08 am

good luck man!
valve.(((J0HN)))Resident village idiot
and some tech helper type said, "Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!" Chet put the guitar on it's stand and said, "Well, how does it sound now?"

Frank H
Orange Master

Post by Frank H » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:58 am

Good Luck....and let me be the first one to say "Welcome to Boston".

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:25 am

Firstly, good luck! Hope it works out well for you.

Some audition tips:

Wear stuff that is comfortable to play in. If it is cold then wrap up warm for the journey there, with nice warm gloves. Takes ages to get your fingers moving easily if they are really cold when you arrive.
(Yes Mum! ;))

Make sure your fingers, hands, arms, shoulders, and if possible your brain too(*) are nice and relaxed. You should get a chance to warm up - use it. Be in plenty of time, and it makes sense to loosen off and warm up with some relaxation exercises and by playing some scales and arpeggios.
(*No, I <u>don't</u> mean 'medication' though!)

Don't feel rushed to start playing immediately you get sat down at the audition. Without hanging around all day, <i>do</i> take a couple of deep breaths and <i>feel the tempo you want BEFORE you start playing.</i> Good tempo is your friend so don't make it too fast either - choose a nice steady rate you know you can comfortably nail. When nervous players almost always tend to speed up, so really <i>feel</i> that tempo and concentrate on keeping it nice and steady. Try to 'feel it inside' though rather then tapping your foot.

Playing a steady tempo doesn't mean playing without feel. If you show you can do both that is going to impress much more then pushing and pulling the time in all directions.

If you play a wrong note then tough - it happens, but it is history already! Don't make it a double mistake though by losing your timing as well. Also try not to grimace if you do make any sort of mistake - that also counts as a double mistake for professional musicians. If you are in that habit already it is a hard one to break. If so then start being aware of it and doing something about it - now. Way better to look happy, relaxed and on top of things, even if you don't quite feel that way inside.

Sounds corny, but try to enjoy yourself. If you have a choice of stuff to play then play something you really enjoy playing. Also remember that the people checking you out are really on your side and want you to do well. They'd rather enjoy your playing then not...

And if that doesn't help then a favourite trick of mine is to wear a really dodgy rude t-shirt underneath - invisibly of course!!!

Hope some of that is useful then. :)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Sir Boof
Orange Hero

Post by Sir Boof » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:47 am

my 2 sense[:p]
pick a song that weighs down on guitar and not in need of drums or bass or even keyboard to understand the melody, i like little wing for example(alot goin on in that song in the way of guitar and its not to crazy on overdrive either) or hey even that little number jimmy page wrote "bron-yr-aur", not the stomp version though, it impressed my music teacher at school when i played and told him it was a zeppelin tune.

lol i just thought "this works if u play guitar" i didnt even ask if u played bass guitar or what. lol

and good luck

orangenoise
Orange Expert

Post by orangenoise » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:17 pm

You've got my prayers there chipford! I'll see you before then; but good luck and may the volkswagen bug be with you. :D (Sorry everyone... inside joke)
-<font color="orange"><b>orangenoise</b></font id="orange">

http://www.myspace.com/orangenoise

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:55 pm

I don't know if you are playing out right now...but start doing some live shows (acoustic stuff)...it'll take the edge off performing for people. The "stage fright" won't have so much edge. I'd say if you know what you are going to be performing at the audition to work that into your set so you are use to playing that in front of people. Good luck!
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:05 pm

Put an extra big sock or cucumber down there...that allways helps..

Really good luck...
the teacher at our store got accepted he's starting next fall...this kid is 21 and plays like Vai..and he even plays killer bass..he wants to be a teacher of music..I told him about the sock too...

LesPaulKing
Orange Expert

Post by LesPaulKing » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:13 pm

I'm going to play a song I wrote at the audtion, then there will be improv and sight reading and call and response...thanks for the comments guys. I've played enough for people that I don't get too nervous...but I likely will auditioning for Berklee. I'm planning on making a little small talk, that normally breaks the ice if I say something that we all can laugh at.
'71 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, and a beat up Telecaster - Ernie Ball Volume Jr. - Route 66 - DD-20 - AD30H w/ Avatar 2x12 open back cab

2005 Taylor 315ce/Old Gibson J200 custom (using this one too for slide)

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:40 pm

Good luck and enjoy your stay in Boston - a great, fun town with a tremendous history.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:02 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LeonC</i>
<br />Good luck and enjoy your stay in Boston - a great, fun town with a tremendous history.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Something about tea wasn't there? I seem to remember the late great Alex Harvey singing about that... ;)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.