Orange, its everywhere

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mistyfog
Orange Hero

Post by mistyfog » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:29 am

Is it just me or are orange amps EVERYWHERE anymore. Ive seen so many bans using them. My word, one of the fridays there i was sitting down watching Jonathan Ross (to those of you who dont know- a tv show, in Britian, where this guy interviews famous people in general and has some live acts) first i see supergrass using them, then i switch over to Later with Jools holland (a similar programme but with all live acts), i see a new band The Hope of the States with them, then the guitarist with faithless, then the guitarist with graham coxan. Another friday on Jonathan Ross i see the Cure using them! Not only this but there all over Mtv2(not in the videos but i know the bands use them), the 20-20s, the ordinary boys to name but a few, i know nobodys probally heard of most of these bands but there all up and coming new bands. The new Pj harvey record has them everywhere and listen to the Distillers album, everywhere.

Basically my point is that soooo many people are using them anymore 90% of the time the Ad series. I dont know if this is a good or a bad thing. For me anyways bad. Im not so individual anymore! And i cant deny the fact that the few times i heard them live, with faithless for example they sounded sloppy and weak. Now dont bite my head off, i absoluetly love the orange sonud, its my sound for cryin out loud but i hate to hear bad tone, it just pisses me off. But heay youll always have that, ive heard some absoluetly brutal tones from a matchless (eg sterophonics) and some amazing ones. Its all about the guitarist and how he uses the amp in my opinion. But out of all these 'new wave' of orange users(excuse the brutal praseology) ive heard the perfect orange tone! The 20-20s (an up and coming british band) with there new single. Although only an okay band that song has 'the' perfect orange tone, in my honest opinion.

Anyways, what do you think more people usin them, good thing, bad thing?

The search for a satisfying tone is a constant battle

imellor
Tiny Terror

Post by imellor » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:27 am

I'm also from the British Isles and I've noticed a lot of the recently as well. I also saw the Scissor Sisters with one on CD:UK. Now that is cool!

I know what you mean about liking to be different. However, I've still not come across anyone locally who has one. Guess we're all leading the way, although Supergrass have had an orange stack behind them for some time now.

Besides we may well all be in possession of classic orange amps. From here Orange may sell out and produce cheaper to produce, lower quality amps to meet market demands. Our models will be as sought after as Marshall and Fenders of yesteryear.

Or maybe its just a fad because orange amps look cool which will pass in the next few months. Either way my orange will still sound cool.

Edited by - imellor on 24 Jun 2004 11:30:22

Liquid Squid

Post by Liquid Squid » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:55 pm

i think most bands that use them just get them because they can, not because they do anything special with them. i dont know why they bother, when they could get a similar sound from a marshall. I think they just buy them to feed their own egoes and try to make their crummy little band have a 'unique tone'. i dont think any of the guitarist in the band mentioned use their orange in any way that shows them off to their best. Most just do constant chord progressions, which quite frankly has been done to death. We want to hear some real blues played through an orange, not this indie garbage so many bands pump out by the shedload.

(you may have guessed i dont like indie music all that much!!!) I think someone like Johnny Winter, who used orange stacks on occasion, would be the best person to show off their tone the best.

Just my opinion, remember!!

A gray day turns my mind away,
To places past and gone.
Broken-hearted dreams I've seen,
Broken-hearted dreams i've dreamed
A gray day turns my mind away,
To places past and gone.
Broken-hearted dreams I've seen,
Broken-hearted dreams i've dreamed

saewat

Post by saewat » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Sounds like a good thing to me. In my case, the more there are the more unique mine is!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

HAH Sooner, I guess you're right.

Sae "say what?" Lee
Sae "say what?" Lee

mistyfog
Orange Hero

Post by mistyfog » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:58 pm

Yeah i agree with you liquid squid. I couldnt give a toss if they use oranges most of them sound crap with them anyways, they use them the wrong way, same old same old chords and crap. Itll make no odds to me cause my orange still sounds absoluety Bo Selecta!, thats the bottom line and absoluetly nothing can change how much i love it and how great it sounds.

The search for a satisfying tone is a constant battle

macahan
Orange Master

Post by macahan » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:50 am

personally i rather see oranges all over than mesa's (which i bloody hate..)

BUT at the same time it bugs me that my orange aren't that exclusive anymore.. earlier you could go to gigs and never see an orange.. but no they're everywhere.. and most of all.. THOSE FREAKY N*E*R*D-morons is using it in a video.
THAT is VERY annoying to me.. but hey, id raher see oranges than mesas, just as i said above..

my ad200 sounds amazing..

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:07 pm

Well, Heart was on the Today show on Saturday (I was drifting in and out of waking up) and Nancy Wilson had two Orange 4X12's which had some sort of acoustic amp sitting on top- she was playing acoustic for their set. Don't know if the Oranges were being used for their speakers or just as glorified amp stands. Looked cool though...

... and I saw pictures from Glasto of PJ Harvey and she had her Orange 30 watt quarter stack behind her.

(Technically speaking, if 2 4X12's and a head are a full stack, a head and 1 4X12 is a half stack, does that make a head with a 2X12 cab a quarter stack?)

It's way too early for me to be thinking analytically...

Billy

spyro

Post by spyro » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:18 pm

mesa suck orange rule

macahan
Orange Master

Post by macahan » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:11 pm

funny question bclaire..
this is how i see it..

one 2x12 and head is a halfstack,
one 4x12 and head it a fullstack,
2 4x12's and a head is a double stack
8 4x12's and to heads is a stadium-stack..

so what is a 4x12+ a 2x12?
or 2 2x12's ???

macahan
Orange Master

Post by macahan » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:12 pm

but then again.. i might be the only one who thinks an orange fullstack is a single 4x12 with a head..

that setup is really the essence of orange..

Edited by - macahan on 28 Jun 2004 15:13:17

saewat

Post by saewat » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:16 pm

I thought one 4x12 was a half stack

Then two 2x12s would be a splited half stack?! One 2x12 and one 4x12 would make a three quarter stack?!

Having fun yet guys?

Sae "say what?" Lee
Sae "say what?" Lee

macahan
Orange Master

Post by macahan » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:18 pm

well.. normally 4x12's are a fullstack.. but i think that's because of the marshall stacks.. you know the straight plus the slanted one..

i don't want to see that way though =)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:44 pm

No, if you specify to a venue that you need a half-stack, you'll get a head and one 4X12. Full stack is two 4X12's... that's standardized throughout the music industry.

Billy

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:57 pm

The first full stack was built for Pete Townsend. It was 8 x12inch speakers in one cabinet.
The thing was too heavy to move, so they cut the thing in half and made 2 4x12's.

macahan
Orange Master

Post by macahan » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:15 am

i forgot to type in a 2..

i meant a fullstack is 2 4x12's...