LeonC, need help my tone!! Can anyone else help

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

deVonder
Orange Expert

Post by deVonder » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:05 pm

Hi everyone. I know I've asked this before, but I recieved just a few responses. I love my Rocker 30. Unfortunatly, lately, our band is really trying to go in the direction of 60's inspired/psychadelic inspired rock. We are all wanting to put a 60's twist on our sound, and in order for me to do that, I need to re-shape my overll setup a bit. I looked into a bunch of different pedals, and basically boiled it down to: Treble Boosters and some older, reissue fuzz pedals (germanium transistors). Are these the types of pedals I should be looking at? As mentioned in one of my previous posts, I'm finding my Rocker to be a little "muffled" sounding lately. This can be due to the fact that my mind is set on that "trebely, 60's tone" (early stones), or because that is just the way the amp is. I need to find a couple pedals to obtain that 60's Brit pop/psychadelic tone. Please, please help me pick out a couple pedals that will help me get a tone like that, before I get frustrated and decide it's my amp, and there is nothing I can do about it. Others have told me that I need a Plexi amp to get that tone, but I know I can get it with the right setup of pedals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Someone mentioned a Maesro Fuzz Tone, but then I heard it was poop. Then I heard a SunFace Fuzz, or something like that....Anything else, or can anyone offer input on these pedals.

Thanks!
Orange Rocker 30
Orange PPC2x12
Ampeg Reverberocket R12R
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Vintage Beltone Amp
Fender Jaguar
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender '72 RI Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul- Paul II
Danelectro DC-59
ESP PC-2V Semi-Hollow
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:07 pm

Fuzz on a clean setting with a treble booster...I think you are head the right way.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:17 pm

check this out

http://www.retroman-music.com/prod01.htm

works for me!
Mark

deVonder
Orange Expert

Post by deVonder » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:18 pm

I tried the fuzz on the clean, but the fuzz I have is the Little Big Muff by EH. What would the treble booster do exactly to the fuzz tone?
Orange Rocker 30
Orange PPC2x12
Ampeg Reverberocket R12R
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Vintage Beltone Amp
Fender Jaguar
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender '72 RI Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul- Paul II
Danelectro DC-59
ESP PC-2V Semi-Hollow
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic

buyyerown
Tiny Terror

Post by buyyerown » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:24 pm

i use a throbak strangemaster treble boost. gets the job done. basically sounds like a wah in the treble setting, but a little less harsh. go to pedalgeek.com and listen to clips of different pedals. itll help you find what your looking for.

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:32 pm

For the 60's sound,one of my favorite pedals is the Fulltone Univibe.Like JIMI used on machine gun
Paint it blue 4 soul.

deVonder
Orange Expert

Post by deVonder » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:51 pm

Out of all these suggested pedals, which would give me the 60's, trebely, fuzz, hiss, lead tone? All of these are great suggestions, but without trying them (which I can't because they do not sell them where I am) I need to rely on your opinions. I heard about the Strange Master Treble booster. Is that a good pedal, and will it bring me close to the 60's tone I need?
Orange Rocker 30
Orange PPC2x12
Ampeg Reverberocket R12R
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Vintage Beltone Amp
Fender Jaguar
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender '72 RI Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul- Paul II
Danelectro DC-59
ESP PC-2V Semi-Hollow
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:57 pm

check out the Analogman Sunlion
Paint it blue 4 soul.

orangenoise
Orange Expert

Post by orangenoise » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:58 pm

I know that the '60s tone is well represented with the Vox AC30. If you need a bit of that sound, I highly recommend trying the Menatone Top Boost in a Can (TBIAC) pedal. Works really well with my RV50 on the clean channel and gets me pretty close to that sound. Definately not gonna get you a perfect AC30 match; but it does a lot better than just your everyday treble booster. Good luck!
-<font color="orange"><b>orangenoise</b></font id="orange">

http://www.myspace.com/orangenoise

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:02 pm

Your Big Muff with some treble dialed in from the amp or the pedal should do the trick for you.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:05 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Knuckle Bones</i>
<br />Your Big Muff with some treble dialed in from the amp or the pedal should do the trick for you.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

+1.

I think you have the gear already. Just a matter of tweaking maybe. If not, I have never heard anything but positive remarks about the Sunlion.
Greg

acorkos
Orange Master

Post by acorkos » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:09 pm

i think you have the wrong amp for the type of music you're fixin' to play. cathode biased el34's running at a low enough voltage to deliver only 30 watts...?

any type of fuzz or treble/top boost pedal you put in front of your amp is going to push your amp deeper into overdrive and away from clean jangle.

you need something fixed bias with more power/higher voltages....something you don't have to have the volume conrol set so high to be heard. then, your fuzz pedal will fuzz and not mush. twin reverb or showman/dual showman head, orange or120, 4-input marshall, ampeg v4. these amps will stay cleaner/brighter at high band volumes and take a fuzz pedal well.

deVonder
Orange Expert

Post by deVonder » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:50 pm

I can't afford a new amp right now, so I have to try to work with what I have. Pedals, as of now, are my only choice. Going back to using what I have (EH Fuzz), it does not work. Tell me more about the SunLion, what tone does it create? Any soundclips anyone?
Orange Rocker 30
Orange PPC2x12
Ampeg Reverberocket R12R
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Vintage Beltone Amp
Fender Jaguar
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender '72 RI Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul- Paul II
Danelectro DC-59
ESP PC-2V Semi-Hollow
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:57 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by deVonder</i>
<br /> Going back to using what I have (EH Fuzz), it does not work. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Grass is always greener, eh?

deVonder
Orange Expert

Post by deVonder » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:22 pm

Effector 13 pedals. Has anyone heard anything about these? They offer a wide range of fuzz pedals.
Orange Rocker 30
Orange PPC2x12
Ampeg Reverberocket R12R
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Vintage Beltone Amp
Fender Jaguar
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender '72 RI Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul- Paul II
Danelectro DC-59
ESP PC-2V Semi-Hollow
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic