Differences in various telecasters

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

rockxwl
Tiny Terror

Post by rockxwl » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:00 pm

I would love to get my hands on a Telecaster one day, but it most likely will not be my main guitar. I'll stick with my SG. I'm just really attracted to the telecaster/orange pairing, everyone here raves about it so much.

So, I'm looking at telecasters but don't want to pay more for it than I paid for my SG Standard. I was just wondering if anyone with experience could tell me the most noticable differences in tone and playability between the $1000+ Tele's like the American Deluxe or Vintage '52 vs. the under-$1000 teles like the Standard, '72, or Lite Ash.

Any advice at all would be great. And don't worry, I'll obviously play as many different models as I can before even thinking about making a decision.

Also, Billy, let me know if I'm breaking the rule of mentioning prices, I thought this would be OK since I'm giving a ballpark but not an actual price.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:03 pm

I just built like 6 Teles and man they all sound so different from one another.
The one I really like is the single in the bridge and a hum in the neck.
Also the double humbucker model..
I have a Fender/CCG tele thinline with two Rio grande humbuckers on it..awesome guitar..
I think the store has about 7 Teles right now...
Oh we also have a kick ass add in this months Vintage guitar mag..page 153..
Lincoln street music..

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:19 pm

I shopped for some time for my Tele as prices can be ridiculous for them these days. The American Deluxe definately looks sweet and the Nashville model with the center pick-up could be especially cool for getting even more sounds from them (it intrigued me anyway). I decided that a Mex was out of the question in terms of quality and resale value in case I tired of it later. The Americans were just too expensive for me personally even though I'd love to have one. I settled on a very nice, MIJ unit from the '90s with the standard Tele pickups. Too many people swear by those to worry about it more. They are not cheap but the price was bearable. I did a good amount of cavity shielding on it (although i don't know how effective it is since the bridge pickup is not covered) and added some brass, angled saddles to help get it intonated.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:22 pm

The MIJ Teles (even the Squiers) are good. Also, look around for used USA G&L ASAT models on eBay. Superb guitars for the money.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:31 pm

The G&L ASAT is a very nice guitar. I was playing (my wife's ) earilier today. I would say tone wise it is indeed very nice. The only weak link I find is the input jack on the guitar.It seems a bit weak (not as firm as the Fender style).I still like my nocaster best of all.For someone who doesn't own a tele , the American Standard is a good starting point of reference.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

acorkos
Orange Master

Post by acorkos » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:33 pm

i see used american vintage 52 reissues with all the trimmings go for $850 or so used

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:36 pm

I bought an used American Standard off of ebay for $475.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

mattbatt
Orange Expert

Post by mattbatt » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:42 pm

I have a Nashville Tele (mex.) and was new to all of this single-coil guitar stuff, being a LP guy myself. However, I honestly spent a few weeks playing everything from a used G&L to new $$ musicman's to American Tele's and went with the mex because, hey, the tone was close and better than others for me, and the price was killer.

Now resale, value, brag factor, all gone, granted. But, I have extra cash this month. And it sounds great through the Orange and is constructed way better than my Ephi. The best guitar for me was the musicman Luke series and then the used G&L -- still kicking myself that I didn't get that one before someone stole it right under my nose!
Matt
<font size="1"><i>You're not finished when you're defeated, you're finished when you quit. </i></font id="size1">

rockxwl
Tiny Terror

Post by rockxwl » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:20 pm

thanks for all the responses everybody!
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail

Chuck_Hipolitho
Tiny Terror

Post by Chuck_Hipolitho » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:45 pm

Get the '52. Basic.

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:06 pm

Craigslist. I bought a foreign Tele new...forgot about Craigslist...found tons of US made Teles there for the same price that were local.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:17 pm

my CCG teles really rule, kill just about everything I played from Fender including the custom shop stuff..at alot less cost.
Better woods, better hardware, better pickups...better playing.
I really wish I could keep them all...thats the worst problem building these things...I have to let em go...

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:21 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by corky newman</i>
<br />my CCG teles really rule, kill just about everything I played from Fender including the custom shop stuff..at alot less cost.
Better woods, better hardware, better pickups...better playing.
I really wish I could keep them all...thats the worst problem building these things...I have to let em go...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I am sure the ones you build are better.The ones I built were almost as good as my Nocaster,but it is a special guitar.You are deffinately on the right track.The Telecaster RULES.If you want tone.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:04 am

I d'ont know what your budget range is,but on g base I see used American Teles all the time in the $550-$700 range! 8)
Hugh