What leads you using.....?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

21rush12
Orange Expert

Post by 21rush12 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:16 pm

Just about to buy some new guitar leads and head/cab leads....? I've had my current ones for years and acouple are getting crackly, don't even know what make they were.....

So I'm wandering what to spend hard earned on and why? What do you guys use?

Any help very welcome.......Cheers
Johnny

21rush12
Orange Expert

Post by 21rush12 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:41 pm

...or does it really matter at all. Will I really hear the difference between a £10 or £50 lead......
Johnny

Luke
Orange Master

Post by Luke » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:54 pm

I use George Ls in front of my amp and nice heavy duty non shielded cable for cabs. Brand doesn't matter to me for speaker leads.

Geore ls sound great, you can custom make them to any length, and if you do have a problem, you can fix it in seconds. All you need is a sharp pair of scissors or razor knife and a flat head screwdriver.

http://www.georgelsstore.com/home.html

notagain

Post by notagain » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:58 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Luke</i>
<br />I use George Ls in front of my amp and nice heavy duty non shielded cable for cabs. Brand doesn't matter to me for speaker leads.

Geore ls sound great, you can custom make them to any length, and if you do have a problem, you can fix it in seconds. All you need is a sharp pair of scissors or razor knife and a flat head screwdriver.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

George L's are my choice too.
:D

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:05 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Luke</i>
<br />I use George Ls in front of my amp and nice heavy duty non shielded cable for cabs. Brand doesn't matter to me for speaker leads.

+1:)
Paint it blue 4 soul.

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:35 pm

I've been using whirlwinds for years. I they go for around £20 depending on length. They are also guaranteed for life - I've so far never had to send one back. :D
Mark

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:56 pm

You don't need to pay an arm and a leg for good cables.

Whatever you get you would be well advised to get Neutrik plugs which are bullet proof - I've run a car over the plug and its pretty much indestructable.... would recommend

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cti_9_ppsw.htm

Cheers
Brian

mike
Orange Expert

Post by mike » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:23 pm

Neutrik for head/cab is a professional choice...

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:28 pm

Neutrik plugs and van Damme cabling... i've got a big reel of the stuff and just make up my own cables. The good thing is you can re-use the ends when the cable goes.

Neutrik have also just introduced some silent switching plugs which i'm a bit sceptical about, but will buy a couple to see how they go...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:46 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>
<br />Neutrik plugs and van Damme cabling... i've got a big reel of the stuff and just make up my own cables. The good thing is you can re-use the ends when the cable goes.

Neutrik have also just introduced some silent switching plugs which i'm a bit sceptical about, but will buy a couple to see how they go...

Do you use a 1/4 inch adaptor?
Paint it blue 4 soul.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:31 pm

Sure.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

bgarrett_uk
Orange Master

Post by bgarrett_uk » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:19 pm

Should have said - for head to cab my lead is a Black & Decker lawn mower cable (happens to be Orange) - with Neutrik jacks.

This is it right here...

Also similar to Joe I have a 50m reel of Sommer cable and a box of Neutriks and make up leads when needed.

Cheers
Brian

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:31 pm

I was using Whirlwinds and Dimazio's, but I'm using curly leads at the mo. No idea who made them.
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:37 pm

Good plugs and good shielding are important, not brand names. Neutrik makes good plugs as others have mentioned but I wouldn't limit myself to those as they are quite expensive. Look for cables with as close to 100% coverage, braided shielding as you can find. Some also have additional foil shielding but that is not as common. You can get cheaper, like 50% coverage braid also but I wouldn't go there. Spiral wrapped shielding sucks and is unreliable mechanically. Use any pure copper cable that you like for the speaker connection inside a combo, just make certain that the terminals are tight so you don't damage your amp with an intermittant load. If you have a head and cabinet, the same thing applies for the wiring inside of the cabinet. You should have a nice, heavily jacketed speaker cable for connection them though, not a guitar signal cable even though they both use 1/4" plugs.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

21rush12
Orange Expert

Post by 21rush12 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:04 pm

Thanks for all the info folks, please keep it coming as I'm learning as I'm reading and as with every purchase in this game I've too many options....

Hopefully I'll see a general preffered trend by the time the days out....

Cheers........
Johnny