How many people have modded their amps?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:38 am

Any interesting mods to share or definate disasters as well? I know many of you will think of an Orange mod as blasphamy (I'm skeptical too) but there are a lot of guys who are quite brave at such endeavors also.
I am really new to guitar stuff even though I have hung around with players for years. I am involved in hi-fi actually and just sort of stumbled onto a few cool guitar finds locally that have really opened the forbidden box of the guitar world for me. So with some background in electronics and years of chat with gutarists, i have enough interest and desire to squeeze a bit more out of some products. I don't really know that the Orange amp that i have on the way is a good candidate however and I know what the designer thinks!
I have gone mad with aquisition lately and always like to get something nice rather than some junk so that if I change my mind and want to ditch the "aging rockstar" idea, then I can get my investment liquidated without a ding. So to those ends, i have a Rocker 30 on the way (Should I be excited?!) and it is a rather basic amp but way cool for it. I had initially started this downward spiral with a very simple and cheap Epi Valve Jr and completed some nice mods on it. If an effects loop is definately a bad idea, what type of reverb box might be best used up front (where everyones says they don't belong)?. I also have a Crush 15R on the way if I need a reverb fix so it's not the end of the world but Reverb seems to be a staple in amplifier design and I would like to be able to incorporate it in a sweet sounding way if possible.
Whew! -thanks in advance!
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:41 am

I've switched tubes in my RV50 -- and there's a guy on the Harmony Central review page that modded his AD30r combo pretty extensively...I'm certainly not averse to modding my stuff to get better tone.;)

I'm not concerned about resale either because to be honest I'm not interested in selling anything that I buy.8)

Chris

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:00 am

Hi Chris,
Where do you get the awesome "CARTEL" font?
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skrzyp
Tiny Terror

Post by skrzyp » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:07 am

I switched out the V30 in my AD15 for a Celestion Blue. I can always switch back though if I
want to restore it to stock.

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:34 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheOrangeJuicer</i>
<br />Hi Chris,
Where do you get the awesome "CARTEL" font?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Just quote my post and instead of "rockerverbcartel" font you will see the image URL and the html code around it. Just copy that link with the little IMG brackets and you can post it anywhere on the forum or in your sig.;)

Chris

indravayu
Orange Expert

Post by indravayu » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:50 am

I have swapped the tubes on my Rocker 30 combo, but that's it so far. I am a little wary of modding the amp after my disastrous attempts at modding two different Valve Jr's, but I have definitely toyed with the idea of opening her up someday and swapping out some of the stock capacitors for a boutique brand like Sozo. I don't know if that would make any major difference in tone, but it might be an interesting experiment. I also might try a different speaker, but that's low priority for me since I really do like the Celestion that's in there now.

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:03 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skrzyp</i>
<br />I switched out the V30 in my AD15 for a Celestion Blue. I can always switch back though if I

How did you like the Blue with the AD?

Chris

mpisarcik
Orange Master

Post by mpisarcik » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:06 am

i made my own speaker cable out of monster stuff-

<center>Image</center>

as well- i added a reverb bag to the AD30r to reduce clankiness:

<center>Image</center>

skrzyp
Tiny Terror

Post by skrzyp » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:14 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by firebird1999us</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skrzyp</i>
<br />I switched out the V30 in my AD15 for a Celestion Blue. I can always switch back though if I

How did you like the Blue with the AD?

Chris

I really like it (and have posted about it before). It brings out the chiming character of the el84s, but also breaks up very nicely. I have tried them side by side and together (I have the V30 in an external cab), and really prefer the Blue consistently.

macahan
Orange Master

Post by macahan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:56 am

THE cartel logo will dissapear within a few weeks since the server it's located on will be put out of business. On the other hand, save the image and upload it to a server and you have it available for use..

MarcusBlacksmith
Orange Master

Post by MarcusBlacksmith » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:36 am

Thanks for the warning...

I'll upload it to my own server as soon as I remember [:p]
She led me out to the Bikini Atoll, right to the edge of the exclusion zone, and pointed to a dandelion growing in the ashes, like a joke for the living.

'ey, Gringo. This ain't no fancypants Italian Cartel. Viva La Mehico and the Rockerverb Cartel!

Made Man: Blind Miguel

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:34 am

The only mod I've done to my AD series amps is to replace the knobs with large knobs for master and gain and matching smaller knobs for EQ. Looks more like the originals IMHO. And I neec a quick visual to adjust my amp...

Luke
Orange Master

Post by Luke » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:03 pm

You will love the Rocker combo. I replaced the speaker in mine with a Scumback 12h-5530, and replaced the tubes.

http://www.southbayampworks.com/speakers.html

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:52 pm

No mods whatsoever. I'm still running the original tubes, almost two years later...

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:18 pm

I think that valves and speakers are fair candidates for modding. However going much beyond that with Oranges tends to be counter-productive. Most of the older models for example had mods available which some folks tried, usually then returning the amps to stock. Why? They almost always just sounded best stock...

I suspect that is why there aren't really too many Orange amp hot rodders here... ;)

You are going to love the R.30 'Juicer! :)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.