cabinet restoral

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mistern

Post by mistern » Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:02 am

i have an older 70's (i think) 4x12 orange guitar cabinet that some idiots spray painted black...i'm assuming it's spray paint...any suggestions on how to remove it w/out ruining the cabinet finish and getting it restored to it's original condition...or as close as i can get...also suggestions on a patch cord/adaptor from the original 3pin din plug to 1/4 inch....any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks<font size=5></font id=size5>

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:51 pm

Well, first off, make sure it's painted black. Orange DID make black Oranges for a while- very small numbers. But I have seen them enough to know that they're out there. If it IS painted what I would do is to take the whole cab apart and go to a self-service carwash and use the spray hose to try to remove the old paint- otherwise I'd try some of the graffitti-remover sparys that are out there- I just used it on an Anvil rack that I bought used and it removed the stenciling but not without some elbow grease with a toothbrush... good luck! Billy

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:52 pm

oh and I've never seen anything but 1/4 inch jacks on the back- never a DIN plug.... originality?

theschickster
Tiny Terror

Post by theschickster » Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:14 am

The only way your going to get that off is with mineral spirits [paint thinner]. It will make the tolex alittle dull but it can be shined up with some other kind of polish or something. BTW Use good ventalation and rubber gloves. That stuff will dry your skin out and really stinks.