hiwatt vs. orange

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

hurrah hurrah

Post by hurrah hurrah » Sat May 08, 2004 5:09 am

im still curious on the differences in tone of these amps. i know it sounds dumb but im new. if u could give me ideas of artists that have the tone itd be helpful
thansk much

corduroy909
Tiny Terror

Post by corduroy909 » Sat May 08, 2004 6:29 am

Pete Townshend played a Gibson SG through Hiwatt at the Isle of Wight(Awesome DVD). As for Orange...early Black Sabbath, I believe Tony Iommi played through Orange. Early Oasis, Mars Volta used Orange.

Jason M. Thomas
Jason

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Sat May 08, 2004 5:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Pete Townshend played a Gibson SG through Hiwatt at the Isle of Wight(Awesome DVD). As for Orange...early Black Sabbath, I believe Tony Iommi played through Orange. Early Oasis, Mars Volta used Orange.

Jason M. Thomas
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Tony Iommi did not play through Orange. The only association Sabbath ever had with Orange (and undoubtedly started all of the false rumours) was a spot they did on a German TV show where they were shown with Orange amps (which weren't even on). Iommi almost exclusively, and still does, used Laney amps.

For Orange (Matamp) sounds, listen to early Fleetwood Mac. I believe Heart also used them some.

The Hiwatt is very neutral sounding with lots of Punch. The Orange sound is a bit foggier, but has more of the british vibe, IMHO.

Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior » Sat May 08, 2004 6:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Tony Iommi did not play through Orange. The only association Sabbath ever had with Orange (and undoubtedly started all of the false rumours) was a spot they did on a German TV show where they were shown with Orange amps (which weren't even on). Iommi almost exclusively, and still does, used Laney amps.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

They must have been on. In those days artists perfomed live on Beat Club.

With my Les Paul I know I'm small but I enjoy livin' anyway
(Marc Bolan in "Spaceball Ricochet")

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Sat May 08, 2004 8:36 pm

They must have been on. In those days artists perfomed live on Beat Club.

I think that was the name of the show. From what I recall, the amps used were rented. well, regardless, Iommi was not an avid Orange user.

Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior » Sat May 08, 2004 10:48 pm

Yes, the show was quite popular in Europe, so I assumed everybody here would know it.
The Orange/Matamps on Beat Club belonged to the studio, so the bands didn't need to bother to bring their own amps (many did, though).

grgurich
Tiny Terror

Post by grgurich » Tue May 11, 2004 2:53 pm

FYI, Townshend actually used Hiwatts on-stage from the late 60s through the Who's "final" tour in '82. He liked Mesa Boogies in the studio, though. I love my Orange, but would love equally to stand in front of a stack of Hiwatts as well.

Sigh. What a rough life we guitar players lead, huh?

JG
John

StephenStills

Post by StephenStills » Mon May 24, 2004 9:45 pm

I believe that Paul Kossoff in Free used Orange amps...

StephenStills

Post by StephenStills » Mon May 24, 2004 9:46 pm

I believe that Paul Kossoff in Free used Orange amps...

Steve Fantastic

Post by Steve Fantastic » Tue May 25, 2004 12:48 am

Hiwatt has x100 the Gain.

Kurb2004
Tiny Terror

Post by Kurb2004 » Sat May 29, 2004 7:01 pm

I'm a fan of both Hiwatt and Orange. If i were still playing six string then i would use both. I might even get one to play mi bass through. Stereo. Orange ad200 Bass stack and a Hiwatt.. Oh jaaaaaa!!!

Kev

www.kurb.org