Metal Orange...?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

User01

Post by User01 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:06 am

are orange amps suitable for metal? i heard quite a few bands are starting to use them but i havent heard any clips, so i am unable to judge for myself. there arent even any shops that sell em nearby so i cant try them out for myself either.

are there any clips of an orange amp being used for pretty heavy music, preferably metal? i would be extremely greatful if anyone could tell me where to get those clips from or point me in the right direction.

im into metal, thrash, and technical death metal.

i hope you can help me out.
thanks alot
cheers
user01

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:35 am

Hi "user01", what's your real name? And where do you live?

In answer to your question, no. Probably not for you. The place to get clips is on Google - type in Orange AD or Rockerverb clips and see what comes up. Alternately the huge sticky at the top of the forum which says, "The Official Orange Soundclip Thread" may be of some use to you.

A Rockerverb is likely to get closest to what you want in terms of gain. The old OR series amps were pretty aggressive also, though not as much gain. Other than that... you want a Mesa Rectifier or a Peavey amp mate.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

pez_espada
Orange Expert

Post by pez_espada » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:03 am

if he likes the "orange tone" let him be... the Rockerverb serie amps, my friend user1, have a lot of gain on tap. You won't get the stereotipical metal sound which can be a very good distinct thing, IMO.

I'm getting sick about all the hype about "retro" and "metal" and blah, blah... Black Sabbath is considered the father (perhaps the Grandfather) of hevy metal, and I've been told that Iommy used Orange amps for a while. All this stoner stuff was born as a tribute to BS and the Orange amp is popular among the stoner guys (along other amps like Matamps). Short, if you like Orange for metal, go ahead and do something different from the scooped $hit that modern metal bands do!!! go, go, go..!!
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."

C. Darwin

Howard
Orange Hero

Post by Howard » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:31 am

I use an OR120 with a Digitech Metal Master pedal . It's loud and has serious bottom end .

Click or copy and paste : http://www.myspace.com/theoneampover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ernieballman
Orange Hero

Post by Ernieballman » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:30 am

Emily Burton guitarist from Fireball Ministry uses Orange amps and cabs.I've them twice live and they rock.In fact you might say its how I "rediscovered" Orange in the first place.Hail to the 1st church of rock n roll.

MarcusBlacksmith
Orange Master

Post by MarcusBlacksmith » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:17 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by User01</i>
<br />are orange amps suitable for metal? i heard quite a few bands are starting to use them but i havent heard any clips, so i am unable to judge for myself. there arent even any shops that sell em nearby so i cant try them out for myself either.

are there any clips of an orange amp being used for pretty heavy music, preferably metal? i would be extremely greatful if anyone could tell me where to get those clips from or point me in the right direction.

i hope you can help me out.
thanks alot
cheers
user01
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi User (makes you sound kind of like a Junkie, but hey [:p]),

Jon (Satanic_Versus) uses and Orange OR80(?) with a set of pedals for a variety of metal/hard rock tones. He has some clips in the Orange Sound Clips sticky...you should check 'em out.
She led me out to the Bikini Atoll, right to the edge of the exclusion zone, and pointed to a dandelion growing in the ashes, like a joke for the living.

'ey, Gringo. This ain't no fancypants Italian Cartel. Viva La Mehico and the Rockerverb Cartel!

Made Man: Blind Miguel

Heartsndspades
Orange Master

Post by Heartsndspades » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:29 am

yea the bled and the new underoath cds are pretty metal and they use orange... i saw the bled two days ago for the 3rd time and they were flawless.
Bass: orange-ad200b, obc4x10, obc1x15/ ampeg b-15/ fender Jazz/ 74' gibson grabber/ peterson stobeostomp/ ehx deluxe memory man/ malekko b:assmaster/ voodoo labs pedal power 2+/ monster bass cables
Guitar: Fender 69' Tele Thinline/ Ampeg B-15
*korey*

brandon105
Orange Expert

Post by brandon105 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:46 am

If anyone can guess my first name, you will get....something cool maybe...lol..Brandon is my middle name.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:31 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> are orange amps suitable for metal?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
I say <b>NO</b>!
Remember me if you get the Orange anyway and realize I was right! :oops:;)
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

retrotone
Orange Master

Post by retrotone » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:45 pm

well of course they are depending on your pedal selection. I mean damn, if I use my little delux and run my tonebender through it all night it'll be the most metal heavy stoner rock fuzz sh*t ever. (not ever) user1 please step forward.... hahahaha uh and tell us your current amp guitar and pedals situation and maybe we can get to the bottom of this

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:40 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by User01</i>
<br />
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

For those sub-genres I'd be inclind to say no. You could do it with the right selection in pedals, but for those styles I'd say you'd be better off with something that'll get you there off pure amp gain.

The metal I tend to associate with Orange tends to be the Doom/Stoner type stuff......
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

Heartsndspades
Orange Master

Post by Heartsndspades » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:32 pm

i c more hardcore/screamo metal w/ orange... go bogner or engle or if you wanna be conservative lol, mesa
Bass: orange-ad200b, obc4x10, obc1x15/ ampeg b-15/ fender Jazz/ 74' gibson grabber/ peterson stobeostomp/ ehx deluxe memory man/ malekko b:assmaster/ voodoo labs pedal power 2+/ monster bass cables
Guitar: Fender 69' Tele Thinline/ Ampeg B-15
*korey*

hellhazard
Orange Expert

Post by hellhazard » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:29 pm

"suitable for metal" ... thats the key there
Yes, I would say the Rockerverb series was SUITIBLE for metal as long as your guitar is a metal setup. Nobody is going to sound like Slayer with a stock Les Paul and a Rockerverb, but use a "Kerry King" BC RIch with EMG pickups (aaahhh you get my drift)
-Vito

140watt Matamp GTv TwinChannel
ImageImageImage

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:56 am

A Year in Orange has come Around Again!!!!!

Last year we were Contemplating Oranges used for Metal!!!!

Thunderverb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

airforce_brian
Orange Master

Post by airforce_brian » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:44 am

I don't think they are voiced right for metal, but i don't play a metal guitar either, so who knows.
PRS Custom 24
American Vintage 62 Jazzmaster
Orange AD140
Orange PPC 412
http://www.myspace.com/brianellismusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;