to go stereo?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

aussie

Post by aussie » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:25 pm

hi guys

recently my band has been reduced to a 3 piece. i am basically happy with the sound i get from my ad30 but now that all the guitar playing rests with me i am thinking of ways to create a bigger sound. i have thought about getting another amp and setting it up in stereo with my ad30. i do have some stereo effects which could sound nice. has anyone else done this? anyone got any thoughts on what amps would sit nicely with an ad30r? is it just a stupid idea? any thoughts?

cheers
kris

littlefred
Rocker

Post by littlefred » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm considering getting another AD30TC head and going stereo. I have a few stereo effects too, and as I'm the only guitarist in my band and I like double-tracking my parts on record, I think it's the way to go live. Things can sound a bit thin with one mono guitar... However, I don't think I'll be able to afford this setup for a while. For me, I'd want identical amps to go stereo, but I'm sure you could produce some cool sounds if you used, say, a cleanish Fender Twin with an overdriven Orange...

Joe
Joe

Oranges and Lemons
Orange Hero

Post by Oranges and Lemons » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:59 pm

I've heard of running two amps in stereo, and setting the second amp
out of phase with the first. It's supposed to sound pretty cool.

Has anybody done this?
Flip

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:04 am

It sounds like crap. You'll have all kinds of missing frequencies... not pretty.

I used to use my Marshall JTM-45 halfstack and 78 Orange OR80M halfstack in stereo. HUGE sound and just amazing. I recommend that.

Problems though:

If you're running both amps with your guitar's volume on 10 all of the time (other than using the guitar volume up and down) no problem. It's when you get into turning the guitar down a bit that you'll find that the amps don't stay balanced- the Orange will clean up nicely but the Marshall doesn't have that touch that an Orange does. Full out- no problem.

Channel switching amps- yikes. The Orange stays in phase whether you are in channel 1 or channel 2. Not so with Marshalls- the solo channel has an extra gain stage and goes out of phase when you're in solo channels. In the clean channels, both amps together sound great- click to solo on both and you get that weird, wide-field separation and drops in frequencies that come from one amp out of phase with the other.

Watch out for ground loops, too.

I also used to use a Fender Twin Reverb together with a Marshall Superlead halfstack that was a really nice (but ridiculously loud) sound.

I'd experiment if I were you- you can get a really fat sound out of the amps (and drive soundmen crazy with mic'ing) and maybe define a new sound for yourself.

Billy

Edited by - bclaire on 16 Apr 2004 00:05:48

filthy_rich

Post by filthy_rich » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:38 am

I used the stereo outputs on my Lucille to power my Orange Matamp and a Marshall Jubilee 50/25 during recording session/jam recently. It sounded BIG and fat.

They were reasonably easy to balance as one pick-up gets assigned to each amp.

I'd love to have the cash to have something similar for normal rig.

tell me the face you were born with before you were born
tell me the face you were born with before you were born