Stereo setup worth it?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Valvelust
Tiny Terror

Re: Stereo setup worth it?

Post by Valvelust » Mon May 19, 2014 2:25 pm

I'm currently running a Boss GT8 in stereo with a '73 OR120 4X12 w/G12H30's and '92 OR80 4X12 w/V30's.

Played Marshall, Sunn, Mesa stacks for years and this Orange stereo set up is .....

SIMPLY AMAZING! :shock: :D

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon May 19, 2014 6:40 pm

megalithic wrote:
Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:What creates wide stereo image is the differences between your left and right side. If you are just sending one guitar signal into two amps, then it will still sound mono because there are no timing differences between the two outputs. Stereo imaging is actually just an effect our mind hears because it takes a shortcut when deciphering what our ears hear.
No, not really. I had recorded with the same amp with a microphone on two different cabs and got a great stereo sound. And what's really cool is that you can use cabs that sound bad by themselves (too bright or too dark for example) and still wind up sounding good.

Basically like using 2 different speakers in a 2x12", but you can pan them all the way and it will sound good.
Sure, if the signals are identical you'd just get straight mono!

But indeed, stereo means panning slightly different signals, though they can be from the same guitar or whatever, and can be used to place the instrument wherever you want in the stereo field. You don't even need to pan that wide. I've recorded acoustic guitar using a good mic plus a good contact strip mic. (C-ducer). Loved the results panning just a bit from centre to each side, say 1/3 from centre or so - to taste. Sounded way better than panning hard L / R.

And yes, that lets you use sounds which in isolation may not sound so great, but combined sound truly massive. The contact mic signal on its own wasn't anything to shout about, but the combination sounded fantastic. You can get similar results mic'ing up different speakers or amps which are running the same original guitar signal.

Kind of got into trouble once (posting as Andy H. HERE) when describing Page doing that sort of thing with different guitar sounds, some of which individually were, um, slightly 'cheese' flavoured. :wink:
Someone took offense! :lol:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=11813" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was actually referring to his total genius in mixing together those different 'thinner' sounds to get truly massive sounding results. He was one of the first doing that, though I suspect Les Paul beat him to it by a few years.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Silverfish04

Post by Silverfish04 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:00 pm

It seems like a lot of extra hassle but if you know you can get your sound guy to do it at a particular venue then you can always try it if you have access to another amp. I would borrow someone's gear (if possible) if my only reason for buying it was for that purpose . Then you'll know for sure whether you even like it or not. My concern with adding extra gear like that is it creates more variables and more chances something could go wrong. If you play at other venues where you can't use your own sound guy and even if they agree to do it,they might not mix it correctly. I've played venues where the usual guy who mixes your band well can't be there last minute and you got some crappy fill in. There is a reason you only see rigs like this in huge touring bands that have techs and their own sound guys.

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Thu May 22, 2014 10:03 am

Valvelust wrote:I'm currently running a Boss GT8 in stereo with a '73 OR120 4X12 w/G12H30's and '92 OR80 4X12 w/V30's.

Played Marshall, Sunn, Mesa stacks for years and this Orange stereo set up is .....

SIMPLY AMAZING! :shock: :D

That drum set needs a second bass drum.