The many links in great sound achievement

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Re: The many links in great sound achievement

Post by kars0747 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:59 am

nope, maybe I should try my bandmates spare Telecaster
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:33 am

kars0747 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:59 am
nope, maybe I should try my bandmates spare Telecaster
I would recommend that.
Perhaps you could take your head, and LP to a music shop and do some testing there?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:31 pm

An interesting thing is that when my amp camp back from the "amp guru" who biased it, it had some really weired settings on the knobs. I wish I had taken a photo. But I do remember that the presence knob was turned allmost all the way up and that is unfortunately all I remember. The last couple of days I have experienced with the presence set between 8 and 10 (3 o´clock and full). I have learned how much the knobs interact. The more I turn the presence knob towards full, the less power the muddy bass frequencies seem to have. And it seems to react the best when I turn the treble knob down to around 9 or 10 o´clock at the same time. It is much less dark now
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:15 pm

kars0747 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:31 pm
An interesting thing is that when my amp camp back from the "amp guru" who biased it, it had some really weired settings on the knobs. I wish I had taken a photo. But I do remember that the presence knob was turned allmost all the way up and that is unfortunately all I remember. The last couple of days I have experienced with the presence set between 8 and 10 (3 o´clock and full). I have learned how much the knobs interact. The more I turn the presence knob towards full, the less power the muddy bass frequencies seem to have. And it seems to react the best when I turn the treble knob down to around 9 or 10 o´clock at the same time. It is much less dark now
The presence knob is injecting high frequencies from the power amp back into the pre-amp, so if you have it up high, you're putting more top end in and overpowering the bass frequencies.

Turning the treble knob down low is boosting the upper midrange as it's shaving off high end (well, not technically boosting, as passive tone controls can only attenuate, but it's raising the gain of the upper midrange a bit relative, to what it would be with the treble knob in a higher position).

With regard to the guitar, I think you should try some more guitars with the amp. You have a dark sounding guitar and are concerned about the amp sounding dark. Your bandmate's Tele is the opposite of your Les Paul, so that's a good exercise to try.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:05 pm

The presence knob is injecting high frequencies from the power amp back into the pre-amp, so if you have it up high, you're putting more top end in and overpowering the bass frequencies.

Turning the treble knob down low is boosting the upper midrange as it's shaving off high end (well, not technically boosting, as passive tone controls can only attenuate, but it's raising the gain of the upper midrange a bit relative, to what it would be with the treble knob in a higher position).
Interesting - that´s exatly what is happening. I am overpowering the bass frequencies. And interesting that turning the treble down raises the gain of the upper midrange. Finally beginning to understand the very few knobs on my amp. So glad I don´t have a hundred knobs like the many modern amps do. I can´t even figure out 3-4 knobs :lol:

And yeah, the Telecaster seems to be an interesting thing to try. Ironically, it was only because I sold an old 1975 Tele that I was able to by my Orange amp :D Quite happy though with the way things seem to be going apart from the noise in my ears which I am hoping will vanish affter a couple of weeks non playing :(

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:43 am

bclaire wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:20 am
Yeah, the ceramic pickups that some LP's come with are pretty awful. My 1990 LP Classic that's all-gold had the ceramics and I replaced them with 57 Classics and the difference was night and day...
Same experience. Another cheap trick is to lower the capacitor value on tone circuit. If you have a 500k go to 300k, if 300 go to 250, etc.