Crush Pro 60 Combo Speaker Swap?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Christopher Sire

Crush Pro 60 Combo Speaker Swap?

Post by Christopher Sire » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:04 pm

Hello all,

This is my first time posting here. I hope everybody is doing well.

I have a Crush Pro 60 combo and I really like it. It's a tad dark sounding though and I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried to change the speaker in an Orange solid state amp? If so, what kind of results did you get?

Does the "dark" sound come from the speaker or the analogue circuitry? (Both I guess?)

I use some pedals to brighten up the amp and it sounds great but my GAS keeps tapping me on the shoulder to see what a new speaker might sound like... even if it's an Orange VOTW gold speaker? (Is this possible?)

Thanks for reading this...

C

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Crush Pro 60 Combo Speaker Swap?

Post by bclaire » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:56 am

You can always change out the speaker as long as you get the same ohmage speaker to replace it.

Offhand, I don't recall anyone ever posting about swapping out a speaker in a Crush but it's doable. Personally, I love Celestion Vintage 30's but I don't know that they will get you closer to the sound you want. If you can unplug the speaker and plug it into various speaker cabs with other types of speakers you might be able to hear something you like.

Christopher Sire

Post by Christopher Sire » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:30 pm

I appreciate your response. I may give that a try.

I suppose an EQ pedal would probably accomplish the same thing (or very similar) without taking the amp apart.

I've already emailed Celestion and they've recommended some options for me to try if I decide to change out the speaker.

Thanks again.

C

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:23 pm

Hey I've been through quite a few with my Orange amps.

For an all around speaker to cover most genres my current favorite C is the Neo Creamback. That should smooth things out and lighten the combo by a few lbs. That said I use this speaker for classic rock, modern indie, post hardcore, and metal so it does cover a lot of ground with my Rocker 30. It's a bit darker but this helps keep things from getting painful and harsh at louder volumes.

***I DID NOT dig the new neo V-Type. pretty undefined and light on the low end. There is a reason the NEO CB costs more :)

For something a bit more modern and aggressive I really like the Eminence Governer. Much easier on the ears than the V30, has more top end clarity, and sounds absolutely massive. It's big and heavy though so you should measure to make sure there is enough depth to fit it if you are considering it.

The Governor has dethroned the V30 and Veteran 30 for me.

Good luck!

johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:07 pm

Hi, I swapped out the stock speaker on my Crush 60 for an Eminence Red Coat Govenor a year or so back. I really like it but was thinking about putting the stock one back in just to remember what the difference was. I did the swap at the time after reading someones review of the amp on the Sweetwater site - "The speaker switch was well worth it. The notes on both channels are clearer, have more separation, and definition. The clean channel has some more warmth. The gain channel still develops some fuzz and it now has oxygen - acetylene torch cutting flame in the center" - then saw the speaker on ebay for bargain price £50 so bought it. I think it's given my amp some more defined wallop.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:31 pm

johnnyboy wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:07 pm
Hi, I swapped out the stock speaker on my Crush 60 for an Eminence Red Coat Govenor a year or so back. I really like it but was thinking about putting the stock one back in just to remember what the difference was. I did the swap at the time after reading someones review of the amp on the Sweetwater site - "The speaker switch was well worth it. The notes on both channels are clearer, have more separation, and definition. The clean channel has some more warmth. The gain channel still develops some fuzz and it now has oxygen - acetylene torch cutting flame in the center" - then saw the speaker on ebay for bargain price £50 so bought it. I think it's given my amp some more defined wallop.
That's great! Glad to hear how it worked out!