NAD incoming

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bfitz
Orange Expert

NAD incoming

Post by bfitz » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:25 am

The quest for tone continues! :lol: :lol:

I sold off my Fender Hot Rod deluxe to a friend. It was in mint nic so got a pretty good price for it and it suits his needs. I've also sold off a few pedals and things and am re-investing in

An Orange PPC 212 OB in black and a Groove Tubes Soul-O 75 head.

The GT's clean channel is based on a Bassman circuit and can run a large variety of tubes in Class A Normal, Gnarly and Class A/B
so you can run it as low as 35 watts with 6L6 in Class A Gnarley or up to 95 watts in Class A/B with KT88's. The 'Scream' Channel is more marshall territory and i imagine that means its 80's JCM800 style going on but with a full eq on both channels and all those headroom options it seems like it could be a very interesting amp. Ususally I wouldnt be so down on options but I got it at a really good price and i've played the 50 and really liked the sounds.

The original cabs are very difficult to find but I do like V30s and had a Ceriatone Super Overdrive style amp before with them and it sounded great so im looking forward to having an Orange 2x12 again. There is a new practice space in my local area too so I can dust off the AD30 as well and get the two going side by side. Gigs are slowly coming back too so its time to try out some of this new material and see how it goes.

Ill try and get some clips up when I get my mits on it (Saturday cant come soon enough!)

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: NAD incoming

Post by bclaire » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:21 pm

Oooo... sounds cool!

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:43 pm

The cab arrived today! And it's waaaaay more compact than I thought it was gonna be! It's way narrower than the closed back and looks way cooler in black in the flesh than I thought. Have to wait till Saturday to get a speaker lead and get the amp. Updates as soon as they land!

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:08 pm

Had an OB for an evening. I did a direct comparison to the 212V which really isn't fair due to the massive difference in speakers. Only thing I noted was how subdued the V30's sounded. Everyone always says new V30's are horrible and harsh, but I was craving more top end bite out of them. The single v30 in my OB combo has way more presence. Maybe I had a faulty cab? It went back to the store but I did love the form factor and weight vs my old CB. If I was playing live and needed a 212 it would be the OB for sure.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:21 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:08 pm
Had an OB for an evening. I did a direct comparison to the 212V which really isn't fair due to the massive difference in speakers. Only thing I noted was how subdued the V30's sounded. Everyone always says new V30's are horrible and harsh, but I was craving more top end bite out of them. The single v30 in my OB combo has way more presence. Maybe I had a faulty cab? It went back to the store but I did love the form factor and weight vs my old CB. If I was playing live and needed a 212 it would be the OB for sure.
Hmm... V30's are pretty consistent and when new, have a little top end harshness that calms down fairly soon. That big a difference to me would be caused by the cab!

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:10 pm

I got the amp and got to spend a good bit of time with it today. It came loaded with 6L6 tubes and It is definitely in Fender territory with the clean channel. Lots more sparkle than the hot rod deluxe that I parted with. The scream channel is harder to pin down. Its a refined kinda sound, I don't think it sits in marshall territory as much as I've read. Sounds a bit more hifi than I thought it would but it's early days and those speakers are not broken in yet. I guess it's kinda like a Rivera / Soldano kinda style sound. Like Hot Rodded Fender type thing. The big thing is blending them and switching it down to class A Gnarly. Tightens everything up and adds a nice bit of growl and shelving off a bit of the low end. Very early days but looking forward to a jam scenario with it. Loud and articulate perfect foil for the Orange

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr