Noise issues with my pedal chain and Rockerverb 50 FX loop

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

a.hun
Duke of Orange
Posts: 9760
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:05 am
Location: Amsterdam, Hollandland.nl

Re: Noise issues with my pedal chain and Rockerverb 50 FX lo

Post by a.hun » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:39 am

Boy_Narf wrote:Just splurge on a pedal board cable kit. Like the solderless planet waves, or George L. It's way worth it in the long run.
Nah, why not just get good patch cables in the first place, properly soldered to Neutrik connectors! :wink:

It seems to be about the only thing left you haven't tried. I'd definitely do everything possible myself to actually cure the problem before going the noise suppression 'sticking plaster' route...


Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

SurferMax
New Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:53 pm
Location: Chile

Re: Noise issues with my pedal chain and Rockerverb 50 FX lo

Post by SurferMax » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:05 pm

a.hun wrote:
Boy_Narf wrote:Just splurge on a pedal board cable kit. Like the solderless planet waves, or George L. It's way worth it in the long run.
Nah, why not just get good patch cables in the first place, properly soldered to Neutrik connectors! :wink:

It seems to be about the only thing left you haven't tried. I'd definitely do everything possible myself to actually cure the problem before going the noise suppression 'sticking plaster' route...


Andy.

Because I do have good cables (all are either Fender Custom Shop, or Fender Performance). I use some Fender Custom Shop patch cables; others are Hosa 'pancake' style patch cables or DiMarzio. I have just a few of them which do not have a big name, but they work excellent on my Minimoog with some modular Moog boxes I have. I will replace the latter anyways.

Thanks for your advise.
Amps:
Orange Rockerverb 100w MKIII
Orange PPC212OB
Orange PPC212C
Orange Micro Dark
Orange PPC 108
Orange Crush Mini
Fender ‘65 Deluxe Reverb

Guitars:
Rickenbacker 325C64
Fender Jazzmaster AV 65
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster Standard

a.hun
Duke of Orange
Posts: 9760
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:05 am
Location: Amsterdam, Hollandland.nl

Re: Noise issues with my pedal chain and Rockerverb 50 FX lo

Post by a.hun » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:30 pm

SurferMax wrote:Because I do have good cables (all are either Fender Custom Shop, or Fender Performance). I use some Fender Custom Shop patch cables; others are Hosa 'pancake' style patch cables or DiMarzio. I have just a few of them which do not have a big name, but they work excellent on my Minimoog with some modular Moog boxes I have. I will replace the latter anyways.

Thanks for your advise.
I was more having a gentle dig at people who use solder-less cables. I don't believe in them you see... :wink:


Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

SurferMax
New Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:53 pm
Location: Chile

Re: Noise issues with my pedal chain and Rockerverb 50 FX lo

Post by SurferMax » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:08 pm

a.hun wrote:
SurferMax wrote:Because I do have good cables (all are either Fender Custom Shop, or Fender Performance). I use some Fender Custom Shop patch cables; others are Hosa 'pancake' style patch cables or DiMarzio. I have just a few of them which do not have a big name, but they work excellent on my Minimoog with some modular Moog boxes I have. I will replace the latter anyways.

Thanks for your advise.
I was more having a gentle dig at people who use solder-less cables. I don't believe in them you see... :wink:


Andy.
Yeah, I also trust better in cables and patches with the old soldered style rather than solder-less ones. Maybe I am old fashioned or just romantic about the 'art' of soldering.
Amps:
Orange Rockerverb 100w MKIII
Orange PPC212OB
Orange PPC212C
Orange Micro Dark
Orange PPC 108
Orange Crush Mini
Fender ‘65 Deluxe Reverb

Guitars:
Rickenbacker 325C64
Fender Jazzmaster AV 65
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster Standard

Boy_Narf
Orange Master
Posts: 2405
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:27 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Noise issues with my pedal chain and Rockerverb 50 FX lo

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:58 pm

I'm going on over 5 years with the same Planet Waves solderless cable kit. Never had a single issue with a cable live or otherwise. I have probably rebuilt my board over 100 times too using the same cables. IME they are brilliant.

The only problem I have had is that the set screw on the side stripped out when building a new cable. Not to worry though, as PW replaced them with an entire new kit. The new smaller versions most likely won't have the same issue since the screws are steel and not brass.
TT | R30 | R30C | PPC212 | PPC412

PedalTrain2 | Zuma

GLXD16 | Decimate | FlashBackMini | ST1 | TimeLine | BlueSky | RangIII | DMC3XL | EX-50

www.soundcloud.com/modestnews
www.scratchbuffalo.com

SurferMax
New Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:53 pm
Location: Chile

Re: Noise issues with my pedal chain and Rockerverb 50 FX lo

Post by SurferMax » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:19 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:I'm going on over 5 years with the same Planet Waves solderless cable kit. Never had a single issue with a cable live or otherwise. I have probably rebuilt my board over 100 times too using the same cables. IME they are brilliant.

The only problem I have had is that the set screw on the side stripped out when building a new cable. Not to worry though, as PW replaced them with an entire new kit. The new smaller versions most likely won't have the same issue since the screws are steel and not brass.
Thanks! Good to know. I think it's just a matter of preferences
Amps:
Orange Rockerverb 100w MKIII
Orange PPC212OB
Orange PPC212C
Orange Micro Dark
Orange PPC 108
Orange Crush Mini
Fender ‘65 Deluxe Reverb

Guitars:
Rickenbacker 325C64
Fender Jazzmaster AV 65
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster Standard

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6821
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Noise issues with my pedal chain and Rockerverb 50 FX loop

Post by Norrin Radd » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:44 pm

Digging up old thread....

SO, I have some noise in my RV50 MKI loop. When I go from send to return with short cable - no noise. When I try 3 a foot cable - no noise. I tried a long cable (of decent quality) - noise! When I put a pedal in-between those 2 short no noise cables - noise. I have tried different pedals. I have tried buffered and true bypass pedals. I have tried battery powered, powered from power supply (Ojai) and I have tried no power (no battery even installed in pedal).

In every instance with a pedal connected with the silent cables, there is noise (how can this be with true bypass pedals???). Anyone have any clue what might be going on? The single cable from send to return would seem to indicate that the tube is OK, right? Is the noise (it is a hum) just inherent in the design of the loop??? I need some help. Any suggestions?
Greg

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6648
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: Noise issues with my pedal chain and Rockerverb 50 FX loop

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:50 pm

Norrin Radd wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:44 pm
Digging up old thread....

SO, I have some noise in my RV50 MKI loop. When I go from send to return with short cable - no noise. When I try 3 a foot cable - no noise. I tried a long cable (of decent quality) - noise! When I put a pedal in-between those 2 short no noise cables - noise. I have tried different pedals. I have tried buffered and true bypass pedals. I have tried battery powered, powered from power supply (Ojai) and I have tried no power (no battery even installed in pedal).

In every instance with a pedal connected with the silent cables, there is noise (how can this be with true bypass pedals???). Anyone have any clue what might be going on? The single cable from send to return would seem to indicate that the tube is OK, right? Is the noise (it is a hum) just inherent in the design of the loop??? I need some help. Any suggestions?
No, it should be noiseless.

I'm not sure what your issue is. What is the noise you hear?
White noise? Crackle?

Is the signal deteriorated too when the noise is present?

The battery less case is puzzling I admit.

What cables are you using?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, AD5, PPC212
Past Orange: Orange AD30TC Combo, Tiny Terror

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6648
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: Noise issues with my pedal chain and Rockerverb 50 FX loop

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Also, are you using the same pedal as test?

Does it make any noise when plugged in the front end of the amp?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, AD5, PPC212
Past Orange: Orange AD30TC Combo, Tiny Terror

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6821
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Noise issues with my pedal chain and Rockerverb 50 FX loop

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:35 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:56 pm
Also, are you using the same pedal as test?

Does it make any noise when plugged in the front end of the amp?
The noise is a hum - like a mild 60 cycle hum. Persistent and consistent. Volume varies only when volume on amp is increased. Tested with various cables including bullet and monster.

No signal deterioration. Yes using same pedals when testing (and multiple ones at that -combined and individually).

In all cases there was no noise when added in front of the amp.

Yes - a mystery! :evil:
Greg

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests