Ruby el34bstr vs ehx el34

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

peterbill

Ruby el34bstr vs ehx el34

Post by peterbill » Tue May 14, 2019 8:59 am

Okay. I have tried both in my cs ad50 and must say I like both. The Ruby (apparantly the Shuguang from what I read) is a bigger tube - it is wider and so is the sound. I received the ehx el34 a week ago and have been really pleased with them. However, the Rubys are bigger and louder also sound wise. It seems to me that it is more of a rock´n´roll tube than the ehx. Both are good tubes, cheap and good quality. The volume level difference is very noticeable. The Ruby is loud enough at 12 o´clock whereas I can turn the volume up to 1 o´clock or more with the ehx. Still haven´t quite decided one over the other, but first impression is that the Ruby is bolder, larger and a bit more aggresiv in sound, maybe a bit more old school sound than the ehx and a bit more in your face sound. But as we all know. Taste is subjective. The Rubys seem very, very similar to the stock tubes that came with the amp with the Orange logo on. I can´t tell the difference

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Ruby el34bstr vs ehx el34

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue May 14, 2019 4:42 pm

I've heard of a few techs praising the modern Shuguang EL34 as on of the best current production EL34.

I've never tried them myself.

Orange often use the Shuguang ECC83 in most of their amps. Their power valves supplier have changed over the years, mainly between Shuguang and JJ.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, AD5, PPC212
Past Orange: Orange AD30TC Combo, Tiny Terror

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute