From covers to originals

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

MikeD
Orange Expert

From covers to originals

Post by MikeD » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Anybody tried changing from coverband to original band? If so how'd that work out? What issues did you face? And/or any tips on how to make the transition an easy one.

Our new and latest singer is leaving and I've just had enough of going through the motions of finding and rehearsing yet another band member and then trying to get the rest to work. That and the hours I put into making the ship go forward just aren't worth it so I'm going back to writing and recording, hopefully with a rock theme. I'm hoping that some of the boys will join me since we have a great time and groove going on but it's the transition that has me worried.
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: From covers to originals

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Keep going with the covers, and add originals, one at a time.

The more originals you have, the lesser the need for covers to complete your set.
You can also become more picky with the covers you keep playing and select the ones that are a better fit musically compared to your originals.

But I see it as a matter of evolution rather than revolution.

Since you gig regularly, doing it that way may well keep you gigging, whereas trying to get gigs as a new original band is harder.

Don't discount adding the odd cover still - some will have their place. :)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:14 am

I think you need to make the break clean. Nobody who goes to see a cover band wants to hear any original material (usually). Plan on not making any money. Get a strong 45-50 minute set of original material together and most importantly, if you decide to do a single cover song in your set of original material make sure you put your spin on it and for God's sake don't pick a song that's so strong it makes your own material pale by comparison.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:17 am

Two polarizing perspectives which I'm really not sure which is better....both make valid arguments!

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:01 am

Jondog wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:17 am
Two polarizing perspectives which I'm really not sure which is better....both make valid arguments!
Yupp, my thoughts too. I'm sort of leaning towards bclaires argument... nobody wants to hear something they've never heard before when they've paid for covers. Les Paul Lover's argument would make transition smooth but I think we'd just end up still constantly playing and rehearsing covers.

This is going to take some thinking through....

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:31 am

People who come and see us don't usually pay beside the drinks they purchase....

But we get equally good feed back from covers and originals.

All our songs fit together though. The covers we play are our own take on the songs, some of them I've only listened to once twice...

Ideally, I'd prefer that we play all original material, but it takes a long time to get a song together, and with a 2 and 4yo kids, full time job...... and all the various band members commitments, meeting once a week can be a challenge.

So mixing up covers and originals allows us to have a full set, and create still, without being rushed to create a half arsed song because we urgently need to fill in ou 45mns / 1h set.

It certainly isn't ideal, but works very well for our circumstances. If we had to write all originals, we probably wouldn't be gig ready for another year or so...... :lol:
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:01 pm

I've done both over the years.

If you're in a cover band and you say "Here's a song we wrote..." (never "here's an original..." pet peeve) expect the dance floor to empty and people to head for the bathroom. Or worse, the door...

Cover bars attract people who want to hear songs they know/ are comfortable with. Clubs that feature original bands attract people who want to hear something new and enjoy live music.

In an original band, as important as your songs are, it's also important to have merch of some sort, and get off the stage and meet people after the set. You have to establish a fan base and make it a loyal one to boot. Do some living room/ house parties - do whatever it takes to get your music out there and known.

My cover band, The Allens, has been together for 28 years now. We started the band as a lark, since we were all in separate original bands and got together to play a few songs at the bass player's wedding. It was fun and after our original bands all ended, we kept the cover band together. The thing that sets us apart, I suppose, is that we treat the songs we play with the mindset of an original band picking a cool cover to do and putting our take on it. We have fans that come up to us and say "I love - insert title of song here - but you guys do it way better than - the original artist."

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:34 pm

bclaire wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:01 pm
The thing that sets us apart, I suppose, is that we treat the songs we play with the mindset of an original band picking a cool cover to do and putting our take on it. We have fans that come up to us and say "I love - insert title of song here - but you guys do it way better than - the original artist."
This is what we were... But bringing on a female singer to widen the repertoar and conform to the "cover-norm" has in my eyes resulted in drabness. Being the guy that handles booking, marketing, transportation and technical equipment is now just a hassle and it's purpose, that being bringing in money for gear and recording opportunities for a "real-band", has just washed out due to constant line-up changes.

Think I might just let the coverband rest for a year and do some of my own stuff... be it with the musicians I have now or new ones. To be honest no matter how much fun we've hand and how big stages we've got to play the most proud moments I look back on will always be the original pieces I've recorded.

Thanks for the advice guys... Nice airing problems with musicians, the wife just doesn't really get it :lol:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:27 am

You're welcome...

I had to look again at where you are located because I had one of those "I could see doing a band with this guy..." feeling. Because I've been feeling like I need to do a band with my songs again.
But yeah... that wouldn't work. Massachusetts - Sweden - uh.....

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:24 am

I'm with Billy. You have to make a clean break with it. Trying to slowly increase the ratio of covers to originals would inevitably lead to an awkward phase at some point, so it's probably best to not even introduce it. And I do agree that no-one wants to hear a cover band play originals in the first place.

I've done both and I find playing in a cover band to be notably less fulfilling.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 pm

bclaire wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:27 am
You're welcome...

I had to look again at where you are located because I had one of those "I could see doing a band with this guy..." feeling. Because I've been feeling like I need to do a band with my songs again.
Yeah...the distance may poses some issues... for example when it comes to rehearsal opportunities :lol: :lol: :lol: ...but then again there would be soooooo much orange 8) :wink: :lol:

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 pm

MikeD wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 pm
bclaire wrote:
You're welcome...

Yeah...the distance may poses some issues... for example when it comes to rehearsal opportunities :lol: :lol: :lol: ...but then again there would be soooooo much orange 8) :wink: :lol:
I'd definitely go to billy's for practices. Beer on tap!!!!!!! 8)
Ant

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 pm

fiveightandten wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:24 am

I've done both and I find playing in a cover band to be notably less fulfilling.
That's pretty much what it boils down to. The guitarist, the drummer and myself recorded for my side project Oakdust and this is basically what we talk about when we´re drunk after gigging. The adrenaline rush of a few thousand cheering you on when playing covers just can´t compete to the satisfaction of writing, rehearsing, recording and then releasing your own stuff even if it only gets 100 listens....

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 pm
MikeD wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 pm
bclaire wrote:
You're welcome...

I'd definitely go to billy's for practices. Beer on tap!!!!!!! 8)
hmmm...you have a point there :lol: :lol:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:38 am

Currently, it's Founder's All-Day IPA. Really really good....