Gig with JRT.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Gig with JRT.

Post by Gordy G » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:04 pm

A few weeks ago i bought a JRT,it turned up at a reasonable price(2nd Hand) & last night was my first chance to gig with it,with a band i dep with a lot,so i thought i'd post a little review.
Firstly i always mic up,so this is taking that into account.
The Band is 3 piece with fairly loud(deaf) Bass Player & a drummer,not a shed builder,but still fairly loud,the stage volume of the JRT was easily enough,with volume & gain at about 1o'clock,tone controls all about 12,so no problem with volume,with the proviso that this is a very easy dump,for the Guitar to be loud enough at.
Next & for me the surprising bit,the Band plays mostly R&B(the original flavour),Chuck Berry,(you can't beat a good Chuck :lol: ) Dr.Feelgood,Stones,Kinks & the highest gain stuff is ZZtop(mostly early),so not exactly Jim Root territory,the Amp did it brilliantly,Guitar volume rolled back,great rhythm sound, & if i switched in the Mxr Micro Amp(recommended on this forum)a really good lead sound,without touching the Guitar Vol knob,then with just upping the Guitar volume a very fair ZZTop sound,except for the playing ability.
All of the above useing my Gordy(PG's) & with my Squire CVC(Dimarzio 384 I think that's the right number?))i hardly had to alter any of the Amps setting,worked great,the 1st time i've been happy with the pick up.
I was really surprised it worked so well & to anyone thinking METAL AMP,definitely not.
I'll just add(if anyone's still reading :) )that the JRT wiped the floor with my R30C(i'm now even more convinced there's something wrong with the Rocker) & also a lot better than the DT i had briefly.
All of this is as usual JMO,but i thought someone may be interested.

skerwo
Tiny Terror

Re: Gig with JRT.

Post by skerwo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Thx for your report. What is it that makes the JRT better than the DT? I'm playing music in the same style and I'm very satisfied with my Dual Terror.
Amps:
no more Orange Amps
Captain Amp Tweed Super 2x10
Blackstar Fly 3

Guitars:
Diego HSS strat
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Re: Gig with JRT.

Post by Gordy G » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:34 am

First let me say the JRT works better "for me" & also i'm using the JRT with a different cab to the DT,but this is what i felt(after 1 gig).
Firstly i found the Tone stack easier to dial in,i also found the balance between Volume & Gain,very easy to get right for the stuff i play,with the DT(& the Rocker)I was twiddling with the controls constantly,especially when going from scatty rhythm songs to the quite different ZZ stuff,all i did was a quick tweak after a couple of songs,then i didn't touch it all night.
I'll say this again,this is only my findings & i'm nearly always wrong(ask my wife :) )
Thanks for the interest.