Finally getting my first Orange for Christmas...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Dollywitch
Tiny Terror

Finally getting my first Orange for Christmas...

Post by Dollywitch » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:00 am

I've been meaning to pick up a Micro Terror for ages but could never quite justify it. I live in an apartment and mostly use modelling(I owned a Pod HD but now own a Zoom G3, and a Vox modeler), I really like the control and ease it gives me for recording. But it's also limited in terms of not really having more "unique" sounds, and the metal sounds while decent don't blow me away in the way some of the lower gain sounds do.

I liked the Micro Terror a lot, but when I tried the Dark I was really impressed. I actually found it had better clean break up, even though it's a "metal" amp, and it had a slightly fuzzier more "Orange" quality IMO than the full on Dark Terror, which worked well with the small 8" cab to give you that kinda gnarly garage punk sort of sound. It also sounds like it has a good vibe for Alt Rock at mid gain, a 90s sort of sound, like the glassy fuzzy distortion tones of the non-Big Muff Pumpkins albums, though I may need some sort of treble booster(or play my Jag through it).

I don't think it's going to beat my buddies old Rockerverb in the woom department but I'm really excited about it. I might start gigging around in open mic nights with it. I was planning to take my Vox Amp since it's a decent all in one package, but it might be fun to do a raw, punky sort of thing with just this amp.

I think it's a shame that it's marketed exclusively as a "metal" amp, when the shape control seems to be there mostly to take you into vintage Orange territory and the way the gain knob is structured really covers clean, low gain/break up, mid gain and high gain well. If it doesn't have enough clean headroom - I'm thinking of AB/ing it with a ZT Lunchbox amp which has some pretty great clean tones(though a bit too smooth and jazzy to take a decent fuzz, it makes everything sound like an overdrive).

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Finally getting my first Orange for Christmas...

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:01 am

Cool, congrats!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:30 am

Cool.

I haven't tried the Micro Dark, but I will soon.

The regular Micro Terror gets really good cleans if you back down the gain, and it's pretty loud.

Dollywitch
Tiny Terror

Post by Dollywitch » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:59 pm

megalithic wrote:Cool.

I haven't tried the Micro Dark, but I will soon.

The regular Micro Terror gets really good cleans if you back down the gain, and it's pretty loud.
Yeah I just preferred the cleans/low gain with the Micro Dark. It was harder to hit a sweet spot between the tone and gain knobs on the Micro Terror. I think the Micro Terror had better mid gain since it had a more vintagey feel, but High and Low gain were better on the Micro Dark, and it gets plenty vintagey with the shape to the left. Main draw of the Micro Terror was the more traditional tone knob, but it was a bit too extreme.