OR15

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: OR15

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun May 11, 2014 8:42 am

megalithic wrote:Also the other way around, some cabs just sound better with certain speakers because of the cab characteristics.

Greenbacks sometimes sound more scooped.

I like the home-made cab too. You should put tolex and corners on it.
Yep
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Squirrels

Post by Squirrels » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:16 am

Are there any other differences in the OR and JR preamps besides the slope resistor and treble caps? I can't find a schematic anywhere. I'm in the middle of "converting" my OR15 to sound a bit more like the #4. So I was wondering if there were any other variations in the tone stack. Any help would be much appreciated.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:37 am

Squirrels wrote:Are there any other differences in the OR and JR preamps besides the slope resistor and treble caps? I can't find a schematic anywhere. I'm in the middle of "converting" my OR15 to sound a bit more like the #4. So I was wondering if there were any other variations in the tone stack. Any help would be much appreciated.

I don't get it... Why not getting a #4 instead?

Saves you ruining the resale value of your OR15 and ensures you get an amp that sounds like the #4
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Squirrels

Post by Squirrels » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:06 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:I don't get it... Why not getting a #4 instead?

Saves you ruining the resale value of your OR15 and ensures you get an amp that sounds like the #4
I've been trying to trade it for a while with no luck and I can't afford to take a hit financially by selling it, so I decided to give modding it a shot. If it's pretty much just the tone stack that's different, I'd love to make them switchable. I'm primarily a metal player and the stock OR15 sounds great for doom/stoner tones but for modern metal it's a little bit lacking. I swapped out the slope resistor and treble caps as posted in this thread and it sounds much better for what I want to use it for

In hindsight, I should have went with my gut and got the #4 in the first place... but I got a really good deal on the OR15. But... if I would have gotten the #4, I'd probably looking for ways to make it more like the OR. Tweaking things is fun.