rockerverb 50 gain sound vs th30, or15 and dual terror?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

roggerock

rockerverb 50 gain sound vs th30, or15 and dual terror?

Post by roggerock » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:21 pm

How would you describe the gain sound between the rockerverb 50, the th30, or15 and dual terror on the dirty channel. I know the or15 only have one channel.

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Re: rockerverb 50 gain sound vs th30, or15 and dual terror?

Post by Spaceboy1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:55 pm

The Rockerverb is typically called "modern". It's throaty and thick, not much top end and oodles of bass. It can be fairly loose sometimes but still usable for anything including metal with some tweaking. It has a compressed feel to it and although it cleans up with the volume knob, isn't all that great at it. The Dual Terror is not as deep sounding, more a crunch than a sizzle kind of overdrive, it has a good amount of top end and using the gain knob can go from clean to hard rock beautifully. In fact, it has thee best gain taper I've ever had from an amp. It cleans up very well with the guitar volume knob. The TH30 is a straight up metal amp. It can do other things but that amp sounds far too sizzly, compressed and modern for me. The gain knob at 12-1:00 on the dial is more than anybody should use, even for metal. It sounds like a can of need in my honest opinion, although many other people seem happy with them. The OR15 sounds a lot like a Rockerverb to me, rather than the OR of it's namesake. It's a little more wooly than the RV, almost fuzz-like when the gain is cranked. It has a lot of bass for such a small amp, more than comparable Terror series. It has a lot of gain too, similar to the Rockerverb though so the range is more usable than the TH30.

saturnine
Rocker

Post by saturnine » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:10 pm

I own a RV 50 head, that I actually bought after a TH 30 that I used for about two years. To my years they both sound good. The TH 30 is mor modern sounding a shaped towards metal, I believe. It can be dialed very harsh and sharp, but you could achieve a good rock tone when backing of the gain, especially if you also roll back the tone control on your guitar. Being only 30 watts it can sound a little bit thin, something I noticed particularly when plugged into something different than an Orange PPC412 cabinet.

The RV 50 has a fuller, thicker (or should I say , creamy) distortion tone that is also a bit "modern sounding" but cleans up much faster when rolled back, compared to the TH 30. The biggest advantage is to have a full EQ on the drive channel, being able to adjust the tone to your liking much more. I also find the gain sound of the RV to be a bit more 3-dimensional - it fills the room your playing in a bit more.

I am very satisfied with my RV but would actually consider buying a TH30 again to have as an back-up , but probably ad an EQ in the loop to make it more versatile :)

/J
Orange RV50 MK I Head
Orange PPC412
Orange PPC112 x2
Orange Micro Terror
Ibanez TSA15H
2x Gibson SG Standard
Peter Naglitsch Custom
Fender Tele ´72 Roadworn
Fender Tele FSR Custom
Squier Tele Classic Vibe
Jackson ATX
Jackson TH-2
Hagström Viking
Pedals...

roggerock

Post by roggerock » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:51 pm

Please rank them from 1-4 for playing:southern rock( lynyrd) early ac/dc and blues :-)

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:17 am

roggerock wrote:Please rank them from 1-4 for playing:southern rock( lynyrd) early ac/dc and blues :-)
1. Dual Terror
2. Rockerverb 50
3. OR15
4. TH30

The previous descriptions gave you some good info too. If you wanted a bit more versatility than the styles mentioned I might switch the order and put the RV50 first on the list. But I think the Dual Terror excels in those genres specifically if you don't need the features of the RV50.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:27 am

roggerock wrote:Please rank them from 1-4 for playing:southern rock( lynyrd) early ac/dc and blues :-)
You want the Dual Terror. The other three amps are going to have more gain than you could use. DT has that classic vibe to it while the others are more modern.
Last edited by Spaceboy1 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:57 am

Spaceboy1 wrote:The Rockerverb ...... It has a compressed feel to it and although it cleans up with the volume knob, isn't all that great at it.
Thats your opinion ....I'm really happy with the sound of mine.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:25 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Spaceboy1 wrote:The Rockerverb ...... It has a compressed feel to it and although it cleans up with the volume knob, isn't all that great at it.
Thats your opinion ....I'm really happy with the sound of mine.
I'm very pleased with the sound of my Rockerverb, and it's my main amp, but facts are facts. It doesn't clean up as well as many other amps out there. Compression is not a bad thing, it's basically what gives te amp it's modern, fluid feel. I ride my guitar volume like crazy and get the job done though.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:08 am

Oops .....I misread what you said! Sorry .........I totally agree!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

roggerock

Post by roggerock » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:10 am

Thanks for your input on this. I have the th30 which i aint completly satisfyed with, i prefer my or15 which sounds warmer and fills the room more. Both played through a orange 212 cab. Next week I might get a chance to swap the th30 head 1- 1 with a rockerverb 50 mkII 112 combo, and after the info you have given me I think it will suit me better.

JimmyOhio75
Rocker

Post by JimmyOhio75 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:01 pm

I love my Dual Terror. Been gigging it for 2 years. Possibly the best bang for the buck purchase I have ever made. It does decent cleans and edge of breakup remarkably well and the thick, crunchy hard rock sounds are awesome. The ability to switch from 30 down to 15 and 7 watts makes it extremely versatile. I love my DT. The only Orange amp that I have played that I liked as well was the Rocker 30.
http://www.reverbnation.com/hawkinshill
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe 2012
Gibson Les Paul Junior Special 2009
Orange Dual Terror
Burnham 2x12 (WGS Reaper/Retro)

steamboat
Rocker

Post by steamboat » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:14 pm

I Own the rockerverb50 and had previously had the TH30. I no longer own the TH30 because I don't play metal I felt it was designed for metal and really needed an eq to become more than that on the dirty side of it.

I also will agree 100% that the rockerverb does not clean up as you turn guitar volume down. That's one thing I dont like about my rockerverb. The rockerverb is truely a great amp for modern music but I find in many situations it's just alot of overkill. It's a loud amp when you get into the high gain areas of it and I don't like using hot plates or power soaks and I don't play big shows at this point so I hardly use it.

I can't speak for the other amps you named as I haven't owned them. Personally after owning the TH30 I stay away from the china stuff. When I took the amp apart to check things out as I like to when I buy gear There was components that where loose(transformer) and not in place very well either. I had to tighten 3-5 screws inside the amp that I could back off with my fingers. also the front panel color was a different shade of orange than my england heads. That's just me though. Alot of people dig the china stuff, just not me.

Now you mentioned the type of music your going to play...I personally wouldn't use any of those amps listed for those sounds...not saying you can't just that The ad series might be a better option for your style!

AD30 twin channel is what I would suggest! tons of rock mojo, two channels. pair it with green back speakers and you'll be smiling all night and maybe forever! haha

Goodluck!
Rollin with a fat sack of Oranges

roggerock

Post by roggerock » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:43 pm

Ok... Dual terror or AD30 in a perfect world, but I guess the rockerverb might be a step in the right direction?

steamboat
Rocker

Post by steamboat » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:57 pm

Couple things I would point out.

Rockerverb MKII: has reverb, high gain, effects loop, and 50-100 watts.

If you need these features go for it because these features are not in all those other amps you listed. If you don't need those things your spending alot more than you have to. Rockerverbs arent cheap! If you know you don't need those features stick to an AD30 or the dual terror plenty of blues/rock gain and less $. Also AD30 has 3 band eq on both channels!

Andy
Rollin with a fat sack of Oranges

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:35 pm

roggerock wrote:Thanks for your input on this. I have the th30 which i aint completly satisfyed with, i prefer my or15 which sounds warmer and fills the room more. Both played through a orange 212 cab. Next week I might get a chance to swap the th30 head 1- 1 with a rockerverb 50 mkII 112 combo, and after the info you have given me I think it will suit me better.
If you can trade a TH30 straight across for a Rockerverb, that's a killer deal value-wise and you shouldn't hesitate for a moment.