Orange Dual Dark 100

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Surgeon
Tiny Terror

Re: Orange Dual Dark 100

Post by Surgeon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:05 am

We have to realize that what this community here sees as desirable isn't necessarily what the general guitar buying public sees as desirable.

Metal players are the new Orange fans (more and more of them anyways) and this is the market Orange is trying to tap (amongst others of course) at the moment. Many companies have done so in the last few years (ex: Seymour Duncan has vastly expanded their active and over-6-strings pick-up selection in the last years) and for good reason.

The vintage-tones-chasing crowd, while buying, isn't the group (IMHO) that expands Orange's market share and profits. If the metal-heads are buying more and more, they're the ones they have to please and come up with new products for. Orange is a business first, not a "vintage-oriented" museum of tone or institution.

It's not like they've removed any of your beloved ORs or ADs in order to make this one, it's just another part of the line.

Plus, to me on paper, it shows many desirable features all in one package (attenuator, switcheable wattage, etc...) and I'm quite curious to hear what channel A sounds like. It's pretty much the metal version of the TV...quite a cool amp on paper really.... It is, IMHO, quite more original than most of what you guys hoped for in the NAMM thread. Nothing wrong with your suggestions but at the same time, most of you guys wanted slightly tweaked versions of amps that already exist (or existed, such as the R30) and Orange, to keep potential buyers interested, must come up with new products to have NEW customers buying amps...

That's all just my opinion though...

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:21 am

Great, another metal dork amp... in other news the new bass amp looks spectacular. At least Orange got one thing right this year. I'm also more than a little disappointed that the pedals have only become a memory, but whatever.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:31 am

Spaceboy1 wrote:Great, another metal dork amp... in other news the new bass amp looks spectacular. At least Orange got one thing right this year. I'm also more than a little disappointed that the pedals have only become a memory, but whatever.
Agreed. I am really looking forward to the OB-1K.

Was looking into the Terror Bass 500 Combo but will hold out for more info on this.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:46 am

I must have a lot of metal dork friends on Facebook cuz they all love it.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:53 am

Surgeon wrote:We have to realize that what this community here sees as desirable isn't necessarily what the general guitar buying public sees as desirable.

Metal players are the new Orange fans (more and more of them anyways) and this is the market Orange is trying to tap (amongst others of course) at the moment. Many companies have done so in the last few years (ex: Seymour Duncan has vastly expanded their active and over-6-strings pick-up selection in the last years) and for good reason.

The vintage-tones-chasing crowd, while buying, isn't the group (IMHO) that expands Orange's market share and profits. If the metal-heads are buying more and more, they're the ones they have to please and come up with new products for. Orange is a business first, not a "vintage-oriented" museum of tone or institution.

It's not like they've removed any of your beloved ORs or ADs in order to make this one, it's just another part of the line.

Plus, to me on paper, it shows many desirable features all in one package (attenuator, switcheable wattage, etc...) and I'm quite curious to hear what channel A sounds like. It's pretty much the metal version of the TV...quite a cool amp on paper really.... It is, IMHO, quite more original than most of what you guys hoped for in the NAMM thread. Nothing wrong with your suggestions but at the same time, most of you guys wanted slightly tweaked versions of amps that already exist (or existed, such as the R30) and Orange, to keep potential buyers interested, must come up with new products to have NEW customers buying amps...

That's all just my opinion though...
:roll: I don't think it's worth arguing

Surgeon
Tiny Terror

Post by Surgeon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:24 am

you're right, much better to pass negative judgements based on nothing else than looks and specs without any chance of anyone having heard it... :roll: that's objectivity for musicians...

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:34 am

its really cool if your into shred and Orange!

I am not. I am into my Orange thunderverb 50, best amp evah!!
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

Vertikal
Tiny Terror

Post by Vertikal » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:13 am

Speaking as a Metal Head, I wouldn't say it's an Amp dedicated to Metal Heads. Orange have a canny knack of producing Amps capable of creating a wide range of sounds. If one takes a look at Orange's Endorsements page one would find how many of those guys are/have a Metal Orientated background, there are a lot of heavy players on there, Jim Root, Johannes Persson - Cult of Luna, whom of which tend to swap between the OR, AD and Custom Shop series (I've rarely seen them with Rockerverbs), and they have such a heavy sound. I think that demonstrates how versatile Orange Amps are, especially when one takes into account how many other players, that aren't heavy players, use the same Amps. I'm sure the Dual Dark series are just as versatile, it's just a matter of priority in which in this case, High Gain, that doesn't automatically mean they're lacking in other areas. There'll be many other Guitarists that can find many other tones besides High Gain in these Amps. Mark my words.

To summarise,

Want to play nothing but Metal with limitless High Gain; Buy an Orange, Diezel, Mesa Boogie, Blackstar...

Want to have play anything including Metal with limitless High Gain; Buy an Orange...

Versatility is the selling point, and Orange have it by the bucket loads.

racerfreed

Post by racerfreed » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:24 pm

I think some of you are over reacting. First off we haven't heard the amp yet. Just because its labeled as most gain offered by orange doesn't mean the gain knob doesn't turn counter clockwise also.. I think orange has done a great job of making great "classic" sounding amps that are capable of higher gain tones. So I assume this is gonna be a great "higher gain" amp that will still do great classic tones. We gotta give it a shot first before we pigeon hole it. My only gripe is I hope it will be available in orange also. Not a fan of black oranges...

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Wheres the Smoothy blender attachment?
Gear: Kurt Cobain Jaguar, Kurt Cobain Mustang, American Std Tele ('10 3burst), Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange OR15, Orange Tiny Terror HW, Vox Night Train NT15H, Marshall JCM-1H, PPC112 Cab & a Marshall Custom Pin-Up

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:45 pm

You know it doesn't get me jumping up and down with money in my hands, and I'll be honest the only amp Orange could produce would be a 3 channel OR50 with the same 3 gain stage as the original, but I've never really played a Dark Terror either. I'd plug into it if I could.

:cry: Still no pedals though..... :cry:
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:10 pm

racerfreed wrote:I think some of you are over reacting. First off we haven't heard the amp yet. Just because its labeled as most gain offered by orange doesn't mean the gain knob doesn't turn counter clockwise also.. I think orange has done a great job of making great "classic" sounding amps that are capable of higher gain tones. So I assume this is gonna be a great "higher gain" amp that will still do great classic tones. We gotta give it a shot first before we pigeon hole it. My only gripe is I hope it will be available in orange also. Not a fan of black oranges...

I think some of the "over reaction" is from the fact that the majority of orange fans and players respect the fact that orange typically makes classic sounding circuits that are straight up simple designs without a lot of bells and whistles....intending to be modeled closely after the original 70's designs. In recent years they seem to be going in a different direction with every new offering. My 2 cents anyway....

Orange has always been known for pushing new design though....I mean look at the OMEC stuff from the 70's. It is no different today...with the DIVO, the lunchbox amps, and the computer thing-a-ma-ging interface thing-a-ma-bob....and all of the power scaling options on the newer amps....so you could argue that they are continuing their previous business model too.

I think they need to look at producing more single channel style amps like the custom shop 50 except offer at least 100 watt versions and make them standard production instead of the very expensive custom shop offerings. It sucks that I can't buy a new single channel 100 watt straight up classic rock machine from orange right now. Reissue the OR's from the 70's and have a Bax tone stack and quit calling these new amps OR's when they are not....don't add power scaling or effects loops, or attenuators, etc., etc. make them the dang same...I guess you could improve the echo effects loop circuit, but keep it as close to original design as possible.

My opinion.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:42 pm

That is one ugly amp.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:45 pm

CarbonToe. wrote:Wheres the Smoothy blender attachment?
thats on the bass amp they just released. Since I don't play bass, i don't care
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm actually kind of glad they are releasing high gain stuff. Makes my amp that much more special to me. :)
I';m gassing over the new Supro's.