Question about the OR15

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Question about the OR15

Post by bclaire » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:28 pm

woodddj wrote:I know we are not allowed to mention pricing , I hope me using other items as a comparison was legal. If not just let me know and I'll edit my post.
Ha ha ha! I was just reading your post and thought "That was pretty smooth...." about your referencing the other items. :mrgreen:

woodddj
Tiny Terror

Post by woodddj » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:40 am

Well I got my OR15 and all I can say is WOW! The stories about the OF15 sounding more like the #4 are false. They are two completely different sounding amps. I would say that the OR is closer to the DKT. Obviously the DKT has more gain , but the OR has a fuller/thicker tone. I was thinking the OR would sound closer to the tiny terror, but the OR has the extra gain that the tiny terror lacked. The DKT was a treblely sounding amp, if you turned the shape to the left, the tone would only get muffled. This is not the case with the OR, it was more smoother sounding.
I know everyone has their own opinion of each amp, but this is mine and I am really enjoying my new amp and the tones that I am getting out of it.

thebigcheese
Tiny Terror

Post by thebigcheese » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:08 am

Well, I think most people will say it sounds fundamentally like the Jim Root, not so much the Dark Terror. They are almost literally the same circuit. Today I opened my OR15 (love it, by the way, actually thinking of gigging with it instead of the complicated 4-channel 100 watter I've been using) just out of curiosity and the circuit board says "Jim Root Terror/OR15." The transformer says Tiny Terror Transformer. So, from that standpoint, it stands to reason that there are only a couple components separating the OR15 from the Jim Root. Theoretically, if one knows what those components are, you could buy one and make it sound like the other if you liked the looks of one over the other...

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:28 am

woodddj wrote:Well I got my OR15 and all I can say is WOW! The stories about the OF15 sounding more like the #4 are false. They are two completely different sounding amps. I would say that the OR is closer to the DKT. Obviously the DKT has more gain , but the OR has a fuller/thicker tone. I was thinking the OR would sound closer to the tiny terror, but the OR has the extra gain that the tiny terror lacked. The DKT was a treblely sounding amp, if you turned the shape to the left, the tone would only get muffled. This is not the case with the OR, it was more smoother sounding.
I know everyone has their own opinion of each amp, but this is mine and I am really enjoying my new amp and the tones that I am getting out of it.
Great to hear. Love it myself. FWIW my settings (sounds best with my gear) Bass - full up, Mids - full up, Treb - 11 o'clock, Vol - 1 o"clock, Gain - 12 o'clock.
I've found that if you set the gain higher it gets more fizzy. Almost like there should have only been 3 gain stages available instead of four. (I am also using a SD Invader so you might be able to set it higher with no fizz with lower output pups)

woodddj
Tiny Terror

Post by woodddj » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:34 pm

I did a side by side comparison between the #4 and the OR15 using the same cab, EQ setting, vol, and gain. I recorded both to determine if there is a noticeable diffence between the two, other than just doing a live A/B test. After replaying the recordings, there is a noticeable difference. The #4 has more bottom end and the OR15 has more mid punch. Since I don't have my DKT anymore, I can't do a test between the two. But after playing my DKT for the last year and a half, I still remember the tone that I got out of it. If I was to set the shape at 1, the gain at 2 and the volume at 2. ( my normal settings ) it would basicly sound like the OR15 with the vol at 2, treb at 1, mid at 11, bass at 3 and gain at 3. The DKT is a gain beast, but the OR15 is almost has about the same, but not quite as much. I did notice that the DKT had more of a trebley tone and without the EQ, you couldn't tame the high's as much. The OR's EQ is able to tame the highs to smooth out the sound. After playing all 3 terror amps and the OR15, I feel that after a little tweaking, you could probably get all 4 amps to sound the same in a medium gain setting, but at high gain, each amp has it's own feel/tone.