Question about the OR15

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

woodddj
Tiny Terror

Question about the OR15

Post by woodddj » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:48 pm

I currently own a Dark Terror and a #4 , but I'm GASING for a OR15.
My question is...has anyone compared the three side by side? because I'm considering selling my dark terror to fund the purchase of the OR15. I just want to know if the OR15 is diffent enough in tone, to justify selling what I already have. I've been to guitar center 3 times with the hope of testing one, but so far I've had no luck.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Question about the OR15

Post by bclaire » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:01 am

woodddj wrote:I currently own a Dark Terror and a #4 , but I'm GASING for a OR15.
My question is...has anyone compared the three side by side? because I'm considering selling my dark terror to fund the purchase of the OR15. I just want to know if the OR15 is diffent enough in tone, to justify selling what I already have. I've been to guitar center 3 times with the hope of testing one, but so far I've had no luck.
If it was me, I'd be thinking of a higher wattage amp not sticking with 15 watts.... I'm not so sure you're going to find enough difference although this is coming from someone who hasn't A/B'd them....

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:53 am

IMO, the OR15 has a more vintage voicing, but I don't think it's significant enough of a difference to merit buying if you already have a terror amp. As stated above, I think you'd be better off saving up for one of the higher wattage models if you want more tonal variety.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:17 am

If your looking to ease your case of gas I will tell ya that the or15 is a real cool little amp and I like the wood casing a lot better than the metal. But probably won't be a huge tonal difference but IMO it will be noticeable even tho I have only heard the Jim root and never played it
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

woodddj
Tiny Terror

Post by woodddj » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:06 am

Thanks for the input guys. I really love these little terror amps but my gigging days are fare behind me now, so a bigger amp would be a bit to much. Not to mention the whole non bias thing is really a plus for me. the look of the OR15 is what has me gassing for one so bad. That orange shell just looks so cool. I guess I'll just have to keep both my amps and put the OR15 on hold.

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:04 pm

I would think the only thing you might find different between the #4 and the OR15 is that the OR15 is a little more old (vintage) sounding. It isn't as tight and has some sag on it that the #4 doesn't have. (this is only from what I am told about the #4, I have not a/b the amps) I actually got a close AD30 sound out of the OR15 (of course not exact). But they probably sound similar enough to each other that they can get the same sounds just a slightly different feel. For me it would be worth it because I love my OR15 and it looks awesome but I can see it not being worth it for someone else. It is a tough call for anyone to tell you whether it is definitely worth it or not. Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing (even though you say you will wait the GAS sometimes causes you to double over on the floor crying so you might give in).

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:13 pm

OK, given your situation, maybe the OR15 would be good then! I was thinking Dual Terror which is in the same non-bias mode...

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:24 pm

woodddj wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I really love these little terror amps but my gigging days are fare behind me now, so a bigger amp would be a bit to much. Not to mention the whole non bias thing is really a plus for me. the look of the OR15 is what has me gassing for one so bad. That orange shell just looks so cool. I guess I'll just have to keep both my amps and put the OR15 on hold.

Sweetwater music has 24 months 0% financing. If you are in the states.. Also ck out the prices humbucker music has that may help some too
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

woodddj
Tiny Terror

Post by woodddj » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:42 pm

I was at work today, talkIng to a buddy about what I was wanting to buy. Turned out, he wanted to buy my DKT. So I sold him mine and turned around and bought the OR15 that I've been looking at. After all is said and done, I probably spent the price of a boss sd-1 and my DKT for the OR15. Not bad considering the price gap between the two. After the release of the #4, the resale value on the DKT went way down. I see the DKT's sell on eBay for about the same as three new celestion g12t-75's. The guy is going to ship it tomorrow, so I should get it by the end of the week. Thanks for all the input on my questions

woodddj
Tiny Terror

Post by woodddj » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:46 pm

I know we are not allowed to mention pricing , I hope me using other items as a comparison was legal. If not just let me know and I'll edit my post.

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:42 pm

woodddj wrote:I was at work today, talkIng to a buddy about what I was wanting to buy. Turned out, he wanted to buy my DKT. So I sold him mine and turned around and bought the OR15 that I've been looking at. After all is said and done, I probably spent the price of a boss sd-1 and my DKT for the OR15. Not bad considering the price gap between the two. After the release of the #4, the resale value on the DKT went way down. I see the DKT's sell on eBay for about the same as three new celestion g12t-75's. The guy is going to ship it tomorrow, so I should get it by the end of the week. Thanks for all the input on my questions
Congrats. Let us know what you think. NAD post soon?

chuckbat1
Tiny Terror

Post by chuckbat1 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:14 am

Just tonight I traded my OR15H for a Tiny Terror. I loved the OR, but I couldn't get the amount of tone I can get from the TT. You won't notice that much difference between the DT and the OR. TT better choice
Tiny Terror
TH30H
Orange PPC 1x12 Cabs

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:10 pm

chuckbat1 wrote:Just tonight I traded my OR15H for a Tiny Terror. I loved the OR, but I couldn't get the amount of tone I can get from the TT. You won't notice that much difference between the DT and the OR. TT better choice

:shock: .........................

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Post by RickenBangler » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:49 pm

hitgar wrote:
chuckbat1 wrote:Just tonight I traded my OR15H for a Tiny Terror. I loved the OR, but I couldn't get the amount of tone I can get from the TT. You won't notice that much difference between the DT and the OR. TT better choice

:shock: .........................
+ :shock: ...

The reverse was true here...
CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:50 pm

All a matter of taste, and many other things.