Thinking about a Rocker 30 ...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

cbass

Thinking about a Rocker 30 ...

Post by cbass » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:16 am

Hi Orange forum,

I have found a pretty good deal on a Rocker 30 and the bad thing is: I cannot try it out. Currently my main amp is a TH100, which is a pretty darn good amp, but also a "little" 8) overrated in terms of wattage, especially during band practice. Right now I run it at 75 watts (A/B-1) which is good for cleans, but I am looking for something more classic with power tube distortion and a fat dirty channel. The power tube thing is working on the TH100 at 35 watts in the clean channel, but is still too loud -- especially for our mildly voiced female singer. Do you guys think one could resolve this stuff with the Rocker? Is the Rocker's minimalistic clean channel sufficient and will it distort earlier (I know this is hard to compare)? Any opinions/advices are welcome.

Thanks,

Sebastian
'Duesenberg Fullerton TV
'TH100

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Thinking about a Rocker 30 ...

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:37 am

Hard to say without knowing the type of music you play or if u use a lot of effects - obviously no effects loop in a Rocker and it can be choosey about some effect pedals going through the front. That said if you have a couple of decent quality guitars maybe something with single coils and something with humbuckers the clean channel is very nice and versatile especially when the volume knob is really wound up - it can cover a lot of ground on the clean channel but always it says cleanish...dont except a classic rock crunch from the clean channel. My main problem with the clean channel was that I always wanted a bit more volume from it.

The dirty channel is suberb if you do anything classic Rock or punky related stuff.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:53 am

Hi there cbass. A lot of R.30 fans here, myself included. But the amp isn't for everyone...

Right, for a 30 watter it is pretty loud and punchy. Very big dynamic range (soft clean to dirty LOUD, more in = more out), meaning it is nothing like as compressed and progressive as most amps. Transition from clean to dirty is pretty sudden, and things just keep getting louder the further you turn up. Lack of compression also means lack of sustain though. If that's a problem you'd maybe need an external compressor.

The 'Natural' (clean) channel is perfect for some, not for others. It is a very low gain channel - no chance of any preamp drive with any normal pickups. So cranking the pot beyond a certain point gets you pure power section overdrive. That is beautifully controllable and feels great to play. The channel volume levels aren't as high as you can get with the dirty channel before it breaks up, but if you want louder cleans a moderate clean boost in front of the Natural channel will actually get you more clean headroom before breakup.

Voicing wise, many of us find the channel perfect as is. If not it takes pedals extremely well so external EQ is a possibility. It MAY be exactly what you are after, or may not

The dirty channel can do it all frankly. You can get real nice sparkling (or jazzy) cleans, and as you increase the gain it stays both remarkably dynamic and totally usable right throughout the range. It goes to fairly (but not extremely) high gain levels, easily enough for most jobs. Again the main thing that might not suit some people is the dynamics which really make you feel as if you are playing 'naked'. Not much compression to hide any fluffs, and you won't get endless sustain so you need to know how to work your guitar right. The R.30 is a very 'direct' drive, more like a twitchy sports car than a luxury GT.

If that even maybe sounds like your thing I'd jump on it and give the amp a good try. Some of us think it is the best amp Orange came up with in the modern era. (I waited more than 25 years before buying my second Orange, my R.30 combo. So for me it clearly was!) If you get on with it you're sorted. If not you can always sell it on and be none the worse off.

Hope that helps.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

cbass

Post by cbass » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks for your insightful post! Regarding music, the amp has to be very versatile. The backgrounds of the band members are very diverse, which boils down to: Classic acoustic guitar, Post Rock, Punk Rock, Metal, Sludge, Doom ... no real style there, yet (which I don't think is necessary anyway). In the clean channel I use delay and reverb effects, that would require mild distortion. Who knows, I probably have to check the thing out.

Thanks again,

Sebastian
'Duesenberg Fullerton TV
'TH100

cbass

Post by cbass » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:13 am

a.hun wrote:Hi there cbass. A lot of R.30 fans here, myself included. But the amp isn't for everyone...

Right, for a 30 watter it is pretty loud and punchy. Very big dynamic range (soft clean to dirty LOUD, more in = more out), meaning it is nothing like as compressed and progressive as most amps. Transition from clean to dirty is pretty sudden, and things just keep getting louder the further you turn up. Lack of compression also means lack of sustain though. If that's a problem you'd maybe need an external compressor.

The 'Natural' (clean) channel is perfect for some, not for others. It is a very low gain channel - no chance of any preamp drive with any normal pickups. So cranking the pot beyond a certain point gets you pure power section overdrive. That is beautifully controllable and feels great to play. The channel volume levels aren't as high as you can get with the dirty channel before it breaks up, but if you want louder cleans a moderate clean boost in front of the Natural channel will actually get you more clean headroom before breakup.

Voicing wise, many of us find the channel perfect as is. If not it takes pedals extremely well so external EQ is a possibility. It MAY be exactly what you are after, or may not

The dirty channel can do it all frankly. You can get real nice sparkling (or jazzy) cleans, and as you increase the gain it stays both remarkably dynamic and totally usable right throughout the range. It goes to fairly (but not extremely) high gain levels, easily enough for most jobs. Again the main thing that might not suit some people is the dynamics which really make you feel as if you are playing 'naked'. Not much compression to hide any fluffs, and you won't get endless sustain so you need to know how to work your guitar right. The R.30 is a very 'direct' drive, more like a twitchy sports car than a luxury GT.

If that even maybe sounds like your thing I'd jump on it and give the amp a good try. Some of us think it is the best amp Orange came up with in the modern era. (I waited more than 25 years before buying my second Orange, my R.30 combo. So for me it clearly was!) If you get on with it you're sorted. If not you can always sell it on and be none the worse off.

Hope that helps.

Andy.
Thanks Andy, now I have to definitely try it out :shock:
'Duesenberg Fullerton TV
'TH100

rozman62

Post by rozman62 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Highly recommend the Rocker 30. Last night I gigged with my DSL100 and wish I had my Rocker 30. It's gives me back the tone I have long waited for. Balancing the natural volume with the crunch volume took a little doing. The natural channel with a clean OD or boost is pretty sweet. IMO you have 4 different tone zones with this amp. Here is what I have experienced:
1. Natural Clean-Great for clean tones. Add a modulation effect or small amount of delay with a single coil pup from a strat for a great tone that cuts thru like a knife.
2. Natural Clean with Boost-Good for blues or rhythm parts. Control the gain levels from the pedal and overall volume from guitar knob. I use a Maxon 808 or SD-1 with good results.
3. Dirty-The gain is very sensitive. I like it between 12-2 o'clock. It's good for rhythm or leads. Use your guitar volume knob to dial in levels. I really like the strat/orange combo as the lower mid range voicing takes the ice pick edge off the strat. I can use the bridge pup with the tone rolled off a bit. Very dynamic/articulate dry mix voicing. Play with single coils and make a mistake and all will hear it. This keeps you honest and makes you try harder which is all good. Very versatile with many different tonal options.
4. Dirty with Boost-Great for lead and heavy type stuff. Rare I have the gain past 2 o'clock. Controlled feedback at your fingertips. Incredible sums it up. :D

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:12 pm

The Rocker 30 is a really great amp. I'd just get it if the deal is good enough and see if it'll work for you. It's pretty loud on the dirty channel when you get it cooking, but it's just at that level where sound guys don't get pissed. I keep my gain between 12-2 o'clock on that channel too, like most people here do. Volume is around 10-11 usually. The natural channel is good, and you can customize it well with pedals. It's not super loud on natural channel, but you can crank it up for some cool old school light gain sounds and get above a drummer fine. You can also get more headroom with a boost. I use an MXR microamp. The clean is not like a Fender or anything, it's more midrangy and has some hair on it. Sits well in a mix though, you're not stepping on the bass players toes.

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:16 pm

I am a fan of the Rocker 30. I love mine and every time I play I get compliments on the tone. It responds to your playing style, and no it doesn't do you any favors when it comes to your playing, which I personally don't think is a bad thing as it makes you play better.

The only problem that I have with my rocker is that it completely killed my urge to look at amps :( I used to love going to the store and looking at them and trying them out but my rocker has sadly put a stop to that. If I use another amp it feels as if I am cheating on my Rocker, sad but true.

If you do decide to buy and don't like it, you can always re sell the amp and get what you paid for it.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:29 pm

I always welcome an opportunity to sing the Rocker 30s praises. I agree it is not for everyone, but I just love the tones I can get out of this thing. I cannot add to what had been said on here except to say I used the rocker for many years in a 5 piece rock outfit with a relatively mildly voiced female front. The R30 has enough grunt to cut through a mix un miced and still pull amazing tone at sensible volumes, whilst still allowing audience and singer hear the vocal.
Make no mistake the Rocker is loud when cranked, especially on the dirty channel, but you don't need to deafen the audience or drown out the singer to get the tone you want, which seems to be what you are looking for.
It also fits your other requirements too, ie the power tube distortion (cranked natural channel) and the fat dirty channel.
Would definitely recommend you buy it. As others have said, if you don't get on with it you are pretty sure to get your money back as they are desirable little amps that are gathering fame as time goes on.

I know I will never part with mine. My favourite amp of all time and I have had plenty!

Good luck
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:00 pm

cbass wrote:Hi Orange forum,

I have found a pretty good deal on a Rocker 30 and the bad thing is: I cannot try it out. Currently my main amp is a TH100, which is a pretty darn good amp, but also a "little" 8) overrated in terms of wattage, especially during band practice. Right now I run it at 75 watts (A/B-1) which is good for cleans, but I am looking for something more classic with power tube distortion and a fat dirty channel. The power tube thing is working on the TH100 at 35 watts in the clean channel, but is still too loud -- especially for our mildly voiced female singer. Do you guys think one could resolve this stuff with the Rocker? Is the Rocker's minimalistic clean channel sufficient and will it distort earlier (I know this is hard to compare)? Any opinions/advices are welcome.

Thanks,

Sebastian
Looking to get a Rocker 30 ey? As am I. Currently looking for a combo. And seeing this thread gives me a little more confidence in getting one!

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:39 pm

I got a Rocker 30 head with a PPC212 yesterday. I could not try it out before as well. Played with it for some hours since, and it is amazing! Used to play with a Mesa Boogie TA-15 that, although more versatile (five modes, wattage selection), does not even come close to the Rocker's tone, IMO.

Very happy with it so far!

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

JimmyOhio75
Rocker

Post by JimmyOhio75 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:14 am

enricoromanielo wrote:I got a Rocker 30 head with a PPC212 yesterday. I could not try it out before as well. Played with it for some hours since, and it is amazing! Used to play with a Mesa Boogie TA-15 that, although more versatile (five modes, wattage selection), does not even come close to the Rocker's tone, IMO.

Welcome to the Rocker 30 Brigade!! :D
http://www.reverbnation.com/hawkinshill
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe 2012
Gibson Les Paul Junior Special 2009
Orange Dual Terror
Burnham 2x12 (WGS Reaper/Retro)

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:51 am

JimmyOhio75 wrote:
enricoromanielo wrote:I got a Rocker 30 head with a PPC212 yesterday. I could not try it out before as well. Played with it for some hours since, and it is amazing! Used to play with a Mesa Boogie TA-15 that, although more versatile (five modes, wattage selection), does not even come close to the Rocker's tone, IMO.

Thanks man! So far, loving it!

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:38 pm

JimmyOhio75 wrote:

It's a Brigade?! I was told when I bought my Rocker 30 that it was a cult :| .

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:48 pm

Congrats!!! Love the Rocker!
Eddie