NPD: BOSS Super Octave OC-3!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

NPD: BOSS Super Octave OC-3!

Post by misterfolkertsma » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:43 pm

Got myself this awesome pedal today, which is really going to be good for my bi-amp (guitaramp+bassamp) setup! I simply took my pedalboard and guitars with me to the guitar-store, plugged into a Orange AD-5 and Ampeg bass-combo and tried outh both the OC-3 and an EHX Micro-POG.

The Micro-POG definitely tracks great, but the pedal creates an octave over every note you play. Playing some more complex chords that I use in the band, it started sounding a bit iffy. What really sold me on the OC-3 is it's polyphonic feature, which let's you decide the 'range' of the pedal. In other words, you get to choose over which strings it creates an octave-down which is perfect for my needs; because I'd rather have it work just on my 2/3 lower strings and leave out the effect for all the higher strings. I love playing rhythm, so this was quite important to me.

I'm still saving up to get a T-Bass500 to produce some better low-end, but in the meantime I'm still playing through a Peavey TNT 130. I like that the OC-3 has seperate outputs though, I might even try combining my future T-Bass500 with the Peavey since I like the grit that the Peavey can produce for guitar!

cica1066
Tiny Terror

Re: NPD: BOSS Super Octave OC-3!

Post by cica1066 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:25 pm

Wow looks like a neat pedal. Ive always wanted one of these octave type pedals. have you used it in a band setting? does the bassist end up hating you? Good to see another person with a rocker and a bass amp set up tis the way forward. if you ever get time clips might feul my GAS a bit more :D

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:53 am

way cool. the range thing on the polyoctave seems perfect. i'm still wanting a micro pog since i don't do the guitar+bass amp thing, but if i ever decide to try it, that'll be on my list.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:06 am

The bassplayer doesn't hate me, as we don't have any :wink:
Our setup is a bit like Blues Explosion, 2 guitarists and drummer. I play through both the R30 and bassamp taking care of the low-end, the other guitarist takes cares of high-end riffs.

I'll post the link if I ever end up uploading a video, it will probably be when I get a new bass-amp ;-)