Dual Terror vs Rocker 30 vs Thunderverb

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

msmith4432
Orange Master

Re: Dual Terror vs Rocker 30 vs Thunderverb

Post by msmith4432 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:27 pm

jason41224 wrote:^the rocker 30 isn't a current production model, so pricing on it is fair game. please, share your find :D
Ok cool, Musicians friend is showing they have a restock for $1099... Not sure how many they have but I would have to assume at least 1 since they have it posted on their website.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:41 am

msmith4432 wrote:
jason41224 wrote:^the rocker 30 isn't a current production model, so pricing on it is fair game. please, share your find :D
Ok cool, Musicians friend is showing they have a restock for $1099... Not sure how many they have but I would have to assume at least 1 since they have it posted on their website.
cool. for a restock (assuming there's a warranty and returns involved), that's a great deal. also, Guitar Center sells them for about $1K on their used gear site. which by the way, is a GREAT and totally underused way to buy used gear. i've bought both of my oranges this way with zero complaints, except for one or two minor issues with my AD30 (such as a bad FS jack, but that's more of Orange's fault in the era they built my amp, and i never use the FS onat amp anyways).
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Duppy03
Rocker

Post by Duppy03 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:19 am

Shame i'm in the UK. With any luck, a store over here might have a re-stock too.

I see lot's of combo's for sale on eBay rather than heads. The heads when they are around command a much bigger price, strange really, when you could consider that by buying the combo your getting a free speaker thrown into the deal.
Orange Dual Terror
Marshall Superbass
Laney Supergroup 60
Fender Silverface Pro Reverb
Marshall 1960A cab with G12-65's

http://www.the13club.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://the13club.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leopoldbloom
Tiny Terror

Post by leopoldbloom » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:46 am

Duppy03 nice music! "Nothing Left to Lose" is my fav.

For the style you play the rocker would be just fine. Dynamic and punchy. The clean and the dirty channel should provide great tones for your songs.
However, the only trouble with the rocker would be the lack of the option to go "doomy" heavier (like on the second verse part of "nothing to see"). You 'll have to use it with a 4x12 cab.

Thunderverb would be perfect and has the option to go as heavy as you like. It's an investment, you'll not regret.

Keep on rockin'!

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:29 pm

baytamusic wrote:I have a Rocker 30 and a Tiny Terror. The Rocker sounds way better IMO and has a much more refined overdrive although I do understand the DT is 30w so probably sounds somewhat different than the TT.
Yep, 30 watts and the FAT channel which I use as my main rhythm channel closes the gap significantly between these 2 amps compared to just the TT. The DT fat channel is kind of like the Rocker and TT had a baby :D
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Duppy03
Rocker

Post by Duppy03 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks "leopoldbloom" really appreciate you taking the time to listen to the music and base an opinion around that. I agree the Thunderverb would be perfect for my needs, not only tonally but from a functions perspective too. I just know if I can face selling any of my gear?

And cheers for the heads up that "Nothing Left To Left To Lose" was your favourite song, we've got a gig in a few weeks and only have a 30 minute slot, so have been debating which songs to cut from the set and this was the song I was most prepared to drop ha, ha. It's funny when your close to something, you stop hearing them like a fresh ear does. It'll definitely being staying on the set list now.

And thanks DiabloS, "the lovechild of a TT and R30", nice description.
Orange Dual Terror
Marshall Superbass
Laney Supergroup 60

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:57 pm

Duppy03 wrote:Thanks "leopoldbloom" really appreciate you taking the time to listen to the music and base an opinion around that. I agree the Thunderverb would be perfect for my needs, not only tonally but from a functions perspective too. I just know if I can face selling any of my gear?

And cheers for the heads up that "Nothing Left To Left To Lose" was your favourite song, we've got a gig in a few weeks and only have a 30 minute slot, so have been debating which songs to cut from the set and this was the song I was most prepared to drop ha, ha. It's funny when your close to something, you stop hearing them like a fresh ear does. It'll definitely being staying on the set list now.

And thanks DiabloS, "the lovechild of a TT and R30", nice description.
I know we can get attached to our gear, but IMO the thunderverb is a lifetime amp. It is so cool and so versatile. I got mine on a trade and had never played one just took a chance because I love orange. I'm never getting rid of it just because it can do so many things, even be played when my 10 moth old is sleeping down the hall, or when my wife and kids are in bed, because of the attenuater. However that is just icing on the cake. I was kinda of afraid it was going to be a metal amp. Nope it is pretty much what you want it to be amp and it does it well. It's not a jack of all master of none. It's great blues, great rock, and I don't play metal but by some of the sounds I have gotten probably pretty good for that too. Just a thought sweetwater is doing 18 months 0 percent financing on all orange.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:32 pm

you need an AD30... and they can be had CHEAP if you don't care what they look like... I think there have been 3 bought by forumites in the last 9 months...

and they LOVE humbuckers...
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Duppy03
Rocker

Post by Duppy03 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:you need an AD30... and they can be had CHEAP if you don't care what they look like... I think there have been 3 bought by forumites in the last 9 months...

and they LOVE humbuckers...
So how does your AD30TC fair next to your Thunderverb 50?
Orange Dual Terror
Marshall Superbass
Laney Supergroup 60

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:54 pm

it holds up quite well actually, not as much gain, but a micro-amp or something like that (or REALLY HOT pups) will give it enough "grr" to satisfy anything short of full-on shredders...

I actually use Channel 2 on the AD30 as a solo channel with the TV50 on rhythm.... works great.

the AD30 really sits well in a mix... love it.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE