10%
Building the Church
No votes

Total votes: 21

Captain Wedge
Rocker

What Song Should I Cover?

Post by Captain Wedge » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:20 am

I'm going to a rock band camp for ages 8-16 a few weeks, and Im pretty excited.
I went last year and it was a great. It last from 10am-5pm, for 5 days, so it keeps me out of trouble for a while. Unfortunately I can't bring my DT, so I have to use their solid state Crate amps *shudder*. It's nice to meet musicians around my age that aren't already in my band. The management puts us in bands based on age that are larger than Lynyrd Skynrd, and they usually have 2 drummers and 4(!) guitarists a singer and a bassist. The band writes an original song and performs it at a concert of about 600 people at the end of the week. Some bands do a cover song. I've narrowed down a list of songs, but I can't decide which one we should play. And help on choosing would be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully I won't be put in a band with a bunch of grunge or alternative rock fans. That would probably suck.

I'll try to post a video of my original song and the cover song after the camp ends.
Fender Stratocaster || Les Paul || Garrison Acoustic
Orange Dual Terror

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: What Song Should I Cover?

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:03 am

I'd go with Heartbreaker as long as you are referring to the Grand Funk Railroad song or the Led Zeppelin song or the Rolling Stones song :wink: .

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:33 am

smells like teen spirit

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:52 am

Building the church? Steve Vai? All the way to Stevie Ray Vaughan? That is quite a broad range of styles and technicality.

You are quite the player if you can perform both those styles well! Especially that finger tapping thing Vai does.

I do like Heartbreaker at first glance, but there are not a lot of opportunities to arrange multiple parts in those songs. With such a large ensemble I would think about playing The Eagles, Queen or The Beatles. Songs with lots of little parts and harmonies! It would be much more interesting for the other players, provided they're just as good.
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

the gray area
Tiny Terror

Post by the gray area » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:45 am

The Ocean...The Velvet Underground version of course!
Gordon Smith Graduate 60, Gretsch G6128 Duo Jet, 1997 AS Fender Tele, 1968 Framus BL15.

Wienbrock ME-3pro Orange DT, Blackheart BH100, Custom 2x12 VC30, Custom 2x12 CL80
Some other stuff & a large vodka.

Captain Wedge
Rocker

Post by Captain Wedge » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:13 pm

David Verb wrote:Building the church? Steve Vai? All the way to Stevie Ray Vaughan? That is quite a broad range of styles and technicality.

You are quite the player if you can perform both those styles well! Especially that finger tapping thing Vai does.
The tapping part isnt as hard as it seems. You just have to practice it for hours with a metronome. The rest of the song is pretty hard though, especially the end.
David Verb wrote:I do like Heartbreaker at first glance, but there are not a lot of opportunities to arrange multiple parts in those songs. With such a large ensemble I would think about playing The Eagles, Queen or The Beatles. Songs with lots of little parts and harmonies! It would be much more interesting for the other players, provided they're just as good.
In a band, they usually put one very experienced guitarist, a pretty good guitarist, and then 2 1year or beginner players. When we did a cover song last year, we wanted to cover Barracuda, but we didn't have enough time to learn it, so we chose We Will Rock You. I was the only one experienced enough in the band so I learned Brian May's solo the night before the concert. The song went ok, but none of the other guitarists wanted to play the song with me. They stood at the middle of the stage stomping and clapping. It was fun anyway though, and our original song was good. It sounded like Latin-Jazz-Rock fusion.
The Heartbreaker I'm referring to is the Led Zeppelin edition. The solo in the middle is one of the funnest solos to play.
Orange Dual Terror

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:45 pm

The Ocean FTW!
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:52 am

Captain Wedge wrote:They stood at the middle of the stage stomping and clapping.
Blasphemy! Why go to band-camp then?
Captain Wedge wrote:The Heartbreaker I'm referring to is the Led Zeppelin edition. The solo in the middle is one of the funnest solos to play.
I concur!
Captain Wedge wrote:The tapping part isnt as hard as it seems. You just have to practice it for hours with a metronome. The rest of the song is pretty hard though.
I still wouldn't want to do it! So... about that clapping part? :?
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:54 pm

I agree with the Beatles suggestion... would be much better for an "oversized" band.
- Nathan

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:19 pm

MaxProphet wrote:smells like teen spirit
Yeah, but what song do you think the band campers should play?

Captain Wedge
Rocker

Post by Captain Wedge » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:49 pm

nguideau wrote:I agree with the Beatles suggestion... would be much better for an "oversized" band.
But then all the other guitarist would probably stand in the back around a mic and sing "nanananananananana hey Jude", while I stummed the chords.
Orange Dual Terror