OT: What piece of gear do you hate the most?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jackincaves
Rocker

Re: OT: What piece of gear do you hate the most?

Post by jackincaves » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:33 pm

Some of these have already been mentioned but:

Strats
Line6 (Specifically my ex bandmate's HD147)
Marshall solid state heads
Ibanez bass guitars
Epiphone solid body guitars (I like the hollow bodies)
Wireless mic's
The band - FOR EYES - http://www.facebook.com/foreyesband

First Act Delia -> Joyo Ultimate Drive -> Napalm Volume -> Line6 DL4 -> MXR Smart Gate -> Rocker 30 -> PPC212 + Matamp 4x12

Geek_Guitarist

Post by Geek_Guitarist » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:16 pm

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Steinberger...

+100 on Line 6. Personally, nothing quite offends the sensibilities like a Line 6 stack. I can understand digital modelling in practice amps, etc (christ I've even been known to record with Guitar Rig or Amp Farm back in the day!) But the concept of a digital modelling head for stage use just makes no sense to me.

Example: Played a gig not too long ago at a small venue where the soundman prefers you use his gear [edit: backline] (he knows his stuff and his gear is good, so it's not an issue for me). Anyway, the support band turned up, both their guitarists had brought half-stacks with them, rhythm guitarist had a Marshall TSL, and the lead guitarist a Line 6. Both 50 watt amps. They both refused to be mic'd up, and the result was that the Marshall massively overpowered the Line 6, none of the solos cut through at all, just a wall of rhythm guitar. The Marshall wasn't even cranked. I daresay the Line 6 guy sounded alright, but it's pointless if it wont cut through a band...
Current rig:
'90s Fender Tele '72 Custom > Boss TU2 > Cry Baby Classic > Boss SD1 > EH Neo Clone > Way Huge Aqua Puss mk2 > Orange Dual Terror > Orange PPC212-OB

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:15 pm

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:
Randy Bass wrote: Now that's the way to blow sax!
I don't know which I like better... his moves while playing sax... or his sweet punching in the background.
I like his look the most. I think they were the last group to show up to wardrobe for the taping so they had to take whatever was left on the rack (from 1986).

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:02 pm

Geek_Guitarist wrote:Example: Played a gig not too long ago at a small venue where the soundman prefers you use his gear [edit: backline] (he knows his stuff and his gear is good, so it's not an issue for me).
When you say backline, i assume you mean cabs and drum kit minus breakables? I've never come across this situation before and pretty pleased i havent. This smells like lazy sound engineer-itus who can't be bothered to set mic's up each gig.

Geek_Guitarist wrote:They both refused to be mic'd up...
Why the hell would anyone refuse to be mic'd? So they can crank the heads? Surely the sound engineer would have insisted? Were they the headline band on the night? If not, every sound guy i've ever worked with would have thrown them off the bill.

To be honest none of this makes sense to me. What was the venue called? Just so i know to steer clear :wink:
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

Geek_Guitarist

Post by Geek_Guitarist » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Icarus wrote:When you say backline, i assume you mean cabs and drum kit minus breakables? I've never come across this situation before and pretty pleased i havent. This smells like lazy sound engineer-itus who can't be bothered to set mic's up each gig.
Breakables, guitar amp, bass amp. If I'm honest, I agree with you, but it's his vanity gig, and he does it for quick change overs. I'm not saying it's a great gig; it's not. We do it as a favour. I can live with it because I consider it a free rehearsal, with free drinks.
Icarus wrote:Why the hell would anyone refuse to be mic'd? So they can crank the heads? Surely the sound engineer would have insisted? Were they the headline band on the night? If not, every sound guy i've ever worked with would have thrown them off the bill.
We headlined, and got a better sound for complying to the soundman's wishes :wink: I say they refused; more like, "Aw, no, yer alright mate, we like to turn 'em up." I'm not saying I understood their mentality... :wink:
Current rig:
'90s Fender Tele '72 Custom > Boss TU2 > Cry Baby Classic > Boss SD1 > EH Neo Clone > Way Huge Aqua Puss mk2 > Orange Dual Terror > Orange PPC212-OB

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:16 pm

I hate Marshall MG-amps. Will never forget the day when I, a young guitarist, plugged into my first "Marshall" and out came harsh, transistor distortion :?

mselego
Rocker

Post by mselego » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:32 pm

This is how a sax should be played!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoLU6zKaws

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:33 pm

YES!!! i freakin love that video.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

jackincaves
Rocker

Post by jackincaves » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:41 am

Bensen wrote:I hate Marshall MG-amps. Will never forget the day when I, a young guitarist, plugged into my first "Marshall" and out came harsh, transistor distortion :?
This is exactly what I was talking about. I think that it has tainted the Marshall name for me forever. Hopefully Orange never goes down that route...
The band - FOR EYES - http://www.facebook.com/foreyesband

First Act Delia -> Joyo Ultimate Drive -> Napalm Volume -> Line6 DL4 -> MXR Smart Gate -> Rocker 30 -> PPC212 + Matamp 4x12

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:45 pm

jackincaves wrote:
Bensen wrote:I hate Marshall MG-amps. Will never forget the day when I, a young guitarist, plugged into my first "Marshall" and out came harsh, transistor distortion :?
This is exactly what I was talking about. I think that it has tainted the Marshall name for me forever. Hopefully Orange never goes down that route...
I'd rather play the squier starter pack amp than a MG or Crush. Both sound like complete dump to me.
Monty

kolson1985
Tiny Terror

Post by kolson1985 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:07 pm

Peavey
tribal guitar straps
Paul Mcartney style basses (not sure of the brand and don't really care to research)
keytars
ibanez 7-8 strings
more to come
Orange TH30
Orange PPC412

ESP LTD EC401VF Tabacco Burst

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:59 pm

Ohh theres some good stuff here :) But I've tried to become more open and go "thats just what they enjoy using" and I have heard good tones out of some of this gear....

Fulltone OCD (my most hated pedal. most overrated pedal on the planet)
Line 6 amps aside from the new HD50
Ibanez super strat and pointy guitars. (the hollowbodies are nice)
Boss Metal Zone (worst pedal ever!)
Line 6 distortion modeler
Line 6 Pods aside from the new HD series
Peavey Bandit
Any "V" guitar
Any signature series guitar not being used by the person it was built for

I think I got more... just need to stew a bit
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:24 am

Old joke: the quality of the band to be playing a club is in inverse proportion to the number of strings on the bass.

But often true. I don't hate bass but I do tend to avoid or have disdain for any instrument that may be too over-the-top.

Although it's rarely visible I hate autotune for all the usual reasons including its effect on ignorant audiences who imagine that every singer magically has perfect pitch.

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:34 am

Wired wrote:Any signature series guitar not being used by the person it was built for
One of life's mysteries. A huge number of 'signature' models are never played by the artist who signed. They might do photo promos and maybe play one in a music video but they often revert back to some old-shoe guitar or even a different brand. There are exceptions of course (Clapton, Bettencourt et al) but I guess the assumption would be that if a guitar had specs EXACTLY as requested/designed/modified by a player then the player would be happy and use it.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:21 pm

I don't mind all signature guitars. Something like an EJ or EC Strat, or the Elvis Costello Jazzmaster are pretty alright. Where the signature guitars get lame to me is when they are so unique and over-the-top, like the Wayne Kramer Strat. Then you just look like a fanboy. At least the EJ and EC Strats at first glance are just really nice guitars, nothing more, nothing less.
- Nathan