Characteristics of EL34's compared to 6L6's in Rockerverb?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

the dirty tricks
Tiny Terror

Characteristics of EL34's compared to 6L6's in Rockerverb?

Post by the dirty tricks » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:16 am

Hi all,

Just wondered what you felt the key differences were in the character of these valves in a Rockerverb 50?

I currently have a AD30htc which I really like but m considering getting a Rockerverb 50 also, I have used the amp live and got on really well with it, warm, articulate and responsive...having used it in the studio I felt it was a little (and this is where its difficult to explain) fuzzy round the edges......I realise its a different amp to the AD30 which I have played and loved for years but the version I played was the mk1 with 6l6's.

Do you think that the EL34's in a Rockerverb would provide me with a slightly less spongy, compressed sound than I experienced with 6l6's....

I really enjoyed using the mk1 live with the volume half way and the gain at about 11 oclock, great blusy, rock and roll tones to be had....I mistakenly thought that the Rockerverb was predominantly used for really heavy music....I was completely wrong, I would never use the gain past 2 oclock on the dial but it sounded great for what I wanted.....almost!

For what its worth the clean channel is one of the best I have ever experienced too!

Any thoughts on this would be really helpful, thanks for your time! :D

Andy

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: Characteristics of EL34's compared to 6L6's in Rockerverb?

Post by jason41224 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:20 am

first, the Mk1 had 6v6s, not 6L6s. seems like nitpicking, but they're about as different as El84s are from EL34s.

it depends what you want. i've tried a MkI, not a Mk2, and i thought it was lovely as well. not sure of the differences, but i'm pretty sure they wouldn't help anything with the compression. that's just sort of the nature of the Rockerverb: though it has been said once you turn it up a good ways (past 2 oclock or so) then it opens up more. but i sure as hell would like to keep my hearing instead ;)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Stainboy
Orange Hero

Post by Stainboy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:17 pm

the dirty tricks wrote:I mistakenly thought that the Rockerverb was predominantly used for really heavy music....I was completely wrong, I would never use the gain past 2 oclock on the dial but it sounded great for what I wanted.....almost!

For what its worth the clean channel is one of the best I have ever experienced too!
I was just talking about this misconception with the RV on another thread yesterday. I run a RV50 MKI in stereo with an AD30, one closed back 412 and one open back 212. Best of both worlds. The amps are different enough but compliment each other really well. I've played the MKII and really liked it as well, but I've also played a lot of EL34 amps. You won't go wrong with either version, but play 'em and compare if it's possible for you to do that. It'll be down to your personal preference.
"What I call a dream involves Diana Dors and a bottle of chip oil!"

Swipe Card HERE

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Sort of off topic, but the MKI can run either 6V6 or EL34, so if you find all other things equal between the two "versions," simply buy the one you get the best deal on, don't stress over MKI or MKII.
- Nathan

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Dude, forget about it. Just buy the MK1. It is an amazing amp. If volume is a concern, pull two tubes and run it as 25 watts. Reverb too much? Use a 12AY7 in the reverb slot. No mid control on the clean channel? Learn to use the eq, you don't need the mid control. It's very effective. Want to run EL34's? Pop in two and rebias.

As others have mentioned the RV is a pretty compressed amp. However, the clean channel is not at all compressed as the dirty channel. And the amp has more dynamics when you turn the master up. At lower master settings with higher gain, it is compressed. I pulled 2 tubes last night to make it 25 watts and I can crank the master now, and get better dynamics and power tube crunch at reasonable (still loud) volumes. I love this amp. It rocks.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:00 pm

misterMagoo wrote:I love this amp. It rocks.
It's probably because of your "true bypass" head sleeve :D .

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Haha, I put it back on shortly after taking that picture. :wink:
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.