Orange Master

Good News, Bad News

Post by jason41224 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:58 am

the Good: major NGD!!!

Diamond Tremolo:
MXR CAE/MXR Wah:
Voodoo Labs PP2+:
Modtone Volume Pedal:

just spent the whole afternoon putting it all together on my new Pedaltrain 1, which i bought from my friend for $30 :)

now here's the bad. i got everything wired up, plugged in, etc., and i hear a horribly loud noise. i thought bad cable, no biggie, but i did some troubleshooting and found out it was my delay pedal. i tried it by itself, with its original power supply, outside of the board, and it had the same results. then i did some tweaking and realized the noise was only coming from the L (mono) output. when i plugged into the R (stereo) out, it went away, but so do half of the functions of the pedal! what could this be? when the pedal is plugged in to to the L out, the noise increases as I touch the on/off or tap tempo switch, could this maybe be a grounding problem? i've never had any issues with it until today (and i actually had the powersupply for about a week, everything else just came today)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

danbond
Orange Expert

Re: Good News, Bad News

Post by danbond » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:35 am

Sorry, I can't help you with the problem here, but I have a question -

Why is your tuner after your wah, trem and EQ pedals? Does this not mean you have to turn all of them off before you can tune? I always thought Tuner was the first in the chain, no?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:40 pm

Maybe broke a solder joint on the jack. I'd open it up and look for any cracked solder joints anyways, go from there. Nice pedals by the way! Hows the Modtone volume? I've been thinking about getting a new Vol. pedal. I have a cheap Bespeco that is great at sucking tone and good at being a volume pedal. And the Altoids......?

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:21 pm

danbond wrote:Sorry, I can't help you with the problem here, but I have a question -

Why is your tuner after your wah, trem and EQ pedals? Does this not mean you have to turn all of them off before you can tune? I always thought Tuner was the first in the chain, no?
I've noticed quite a few people do this - presumably so it also works as a mute switch and cuts any idle pedal hiss when engaged. I've always had mine at the start of my chain too, for the reasons you gave!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:13 pm

most definately sounds like a bad solder or wire withing the pedal itself. If you take it apart and have a look inside you may be able to move the wires around a bit and figure out just what is causing the problem. And I know I should mention this, but as always when working with anything electrical be extra cautious. I may just need the connection re soldered which is a fairly easy fix, if you have the proper tools to do it that is.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

Captain Wedge
Rocker

Post by Captain Wedge » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Just wondering, but what is that box of Altoids doing on your pedal board?
Is it for a snack in between songs or is it a new type of homebuilt pedal?
Fender Stratocaster || Les Paul || Garrison Acoustic
Orange Dual Terror

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Captain Wedge wrote:Just wondering, but what is that box of Altoids doing on your pedal board?
I bet he keeps his picks in it ;-) I have a Southern Comfort tin on my board that performs similar duties!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:52 pm

I should strap a Makers handle to my board. Not to hold picks or anything though.
Monty

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:I should strap a Makers handle to my board. Not to hold picks or anything though.
Hahaha I like this.

You could have a pedal board with a couple growlers on it. And like, a tuner. Hahaha.
- Nathan

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:14 pm

nguideau wrote:
Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:I should strap a Makers handle to my board. Not to hold picks or anything though.
Hahaha I like this.

You could have a pedal board with a couple growlers on it. And like, a tuner. Hahaha.
That is a good idea. I basically only use a tuner, so there is plenty of room for alcohol on my pedal board.
Monty

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:49 pm

A feel like a few open growlers with really long straws so you can drink from them while playing is a good idea.
- Nathan

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:45 pm

danbond wrote:Sorry, I can't help you with the problem here, but I have a question -

haha good question! it's running in the volume pedal's tuner out. you can't see it very well in that picture. the signal chain goes like this:

guitar->wah->volume 1 out->comp->trem->eq->delay->amp
(volume out 2->tuner)

i put the tuner on the far edge of the board because nothing's coming out of the output jack. if it was any other way, i would have cable ends sticking out the side of the board from the trem or the eq.
Jondog wrote:Maybe broke a solder joint on the jack. I'd open it up and look for any cracked solder joints anyways, go from there. Nice pedals by the way! Hows the Modtone volume? I've been thinking about getting a new Vol. pedal. I have a cheap Bespeco that is great at sucking tone and good at being a volume pedal. And the Altoids......?
i guess i could try that later today. i don't know a thing in the world about soldering, so if it was a broken joint i'd have to take it out to someone who does. the modtone volume is great! i took a chance on one it and i have to say i'm pretty impressed. at first the taper feels sort of short, but i'm used to it now. nice, even sweep, and i haven't noticed any tone coloration at all. i also love the fact that the jacks are on the side, so i don't have to run a 5-inch cable between there and the pedals before it and after it.
Captain Wedge wrote:Just wondering, but what is that box of Altoids doing on your pedal board?
Le Chat Noir wrote:I bet he keeps his picks in it I have a Southern Comfort tin on my board that performs similar duties!
you got it! i saw someone on youtube with altoids first, and i think it's brilliant. but it is pretty fun to tell my friends "and this pedal makes my tone minty fresh!"
nguideau wrote:A feel like a few open growlers with really long straws so you can drink from them while playing is a good idea.
"is that a talk box?" ;)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals