Thinking of trading my R30 combo in for a Gibby 60s....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Re: Thinking of trading my R30 combo in for a Gibby 60s....

Post by Neiloler » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:24 pm

nguideau wrote:I've been GASing for one of these myself. At first, I really wanted the goldtop, but now I'm thinking I like the worn ebony finish the most, just looks really classic and obviously a little less flashy than the goldtop. :)

Hope you're able to get one! But mostly so you can do a video review for us... :) :mrgreen:
Oh you better believe it! :)

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:58 pm

I like these guit-fiddles very muchO!...the SG's too. I say go for it Neil.

They come in lefty too!
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:23 pm

neonrust wrote:I like these guit-fiddles very muchO!...the SG's too. I say go for it Neil.

They come in lefty too!
"I'm Andy, and I approve of this guitar message." ;)

Great to see you around Andy! Hope all is well!

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:17 pm

the new gibson stuff these days is excellent Neil i think you'll dig it

i played the 50s tribute one (same guitar but with a fatter neck i believe) and i liked it. i gassed pretty hard
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Deacon Blues wrote:the new gibson stuff these days is excellent Neil i think you'll dig it

i played the 50s tribute one (same guitar but with a fatter neck i believe) and i liked it. i gassed pretty hard
Yeah, I'm really excited to go try one and see how the neck feels. The thinner necks are what I dig, and I've been playing a strat for a few years now (and before that a tele), so I can't jump to some giant baseball neck over night.

The only thing I'm worried about (and will check for long before I pull the trigger) is about the fretwork. I HATE feeling the fret ends on the edge of the fretboard.

Anyone know of a trusted Gibson dealer who would find me a humdinger of a guitar? I'm going to go to Guitar Center once they get in the Honey Burst finishes and play 'em till I find one that sings, but if someone can save me the trouble, I'd be okay with shipping (I'm going to get a nice hard case for it as well).

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Did you ever get the chance try your Rocker into a 4x12 Neil?

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:46 pm

baytamusic wrote:Did you ever get the chance try your Rocker into a 4x12 Neil?
You know, I never did. I'm sure it would be a bigger sound. It's not that it sounded bad, the R30 is and always will be a great amp. It's just that I'm finding that I want a cleaner tone, with less preamp distortion happening at the amp, and more of a edge of breakup kind of thing that I can tweak and shape with pedals. I don't have the money to do both, and the R30 is sadly sitting around too much these days, so I made the decision to let it go. It went. :)

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:53 pm

Neiloler wrote:
You know, I never did. I'm sure it would be a bigger sound. It's not that it sounded bad, the R30 is and always will be a great amp. It's just that I'm finding that I want a cleaner tone, with less preamp distortion happening at the amp, and more of a edge of breakup kind of thing that I can tweak and shape with pedals. I don't have the money to do both, and the R30 is sadly sitting around too much these days, so I made the decision to let it go. It went. :)
Well, it gets plenty of headroom into my 4x12. I'm hanging with a 50w JMP and staying clean on the clean channel and I've got a lot of "edge of breakup" left on the dirty channel if I wanted it to sound that way. Just wouldn't want you to sell your amp if it might be "the one". :) I would never sell mine.

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Neiloler wrote:
It went. :)
You don't mess around do you? You went from contemplating last night to a sold item within about 12 hours or so.

I had a feeling it would go right away. The price was right. It's about exactly what I paid for mine on the Bay about 6 months ago. Except I got a 10% off for using Bill Me Later. :wink:

I wonder if it was a forumite who purchased. Whoever it was, they got a nice deal from a good honest seller.

Congrats Neil. Good Luck with the hunt.

People always say with Gibsons to "run the rack" and try 'em all. I would say to go about things this way to be safe.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:43 pm

baytamusic wrote:
Neiloler wrote:
Well, it gets plenty of headroom into my 4x12. I'm hanging with a 50w JMP and staying clean on the clean channel and I've got a lot of "edge of breakup" left on the dirty channel if I wanted it to sound that way. Just wouldn't want you to sell your amp if it might be "the one". :) I would never sell mine.
Cool man, you found you're dream amp i guess.
I really dig the overdrive tone of the rocker.
But my girl sounds better as me when she plays it.
It sounds very zep-ish if she plays it :)

I agree that the rocker sounds a lot better through a good 2x12 or 4x12.
Really. A lot! The 1x12 simply can't compete.
accept darkness.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Yeah, I thought about converting the R30 into a head, but in the end, felt it would be more valuable as a combo to sell then part it out. Someday I'll do a R30 head and cab, just don't need it right now.

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Have a Tribute 50s GT and love it - it's my main guitar now. It's chambered and has a really percussive sound like a 50s LP mixed with 20% ES335. Feedback can be produced easily and the neck is just right (I wouldn't want it any thinner ;D). This is from last fridays gig:

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:25 pm

brianr0131 wrote:
Neiloler wrote:
It went. :)
You don't mess around do you? You went from contemplating last night to a sold item within about 12 hours or so.

Congrats Neil. Good Luck with the hunt.

People always say with Gibsons to "run the rack" and try 'em all. I would say to go about things this way to be safe.
That was fast Neil. Still, it was your decision so I'm happy for you that it sold. Good luck with the Gibbo hunt - these do look nice and P.90s (noise apart) are just a joy. Shame that you'll not get to try them through the R.30, but I daresay you will grab a head at some point so that'll just have to be something nice to look forward to.

Andy.

PS Mine is staying!!! :wink:
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Haha, thanks Andy! I know it seems fast, but I've played around with the idea of selling it or trading it for a while, this was just me moving in on it. I will pick up a R30 head sometime, mostlikely after I graduate and get a job, so it won't be too far in the future.

Worry not my friends, Orange still rocks. "I just have to go, my own way."