Dinosaur Jr.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Dinosaur Jr.

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:13 pm

I love em. I want to be immortal, to listem em forever!
accept darkness.

nguideau
Orange Master

Re: Dinosaur Jr.

Post by nguideau » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:52 pm

One of the few bands that has reunited lately that I actually think is better the second time around than the first.
- Nathan

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:03 am

Yeah, Dinosaur Jr. is awesome. I've seen them live twice since they've reunited and they were GREAT both times.

Also to make this thread a little less OT, a jazzmaster into a fuzzed out orange will easily get you into J. Mascis ballpark tone. Someone should tell him he doesnt need 3 fullstacks and a big muff to get there ;)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:56 am

indianDYsummer wrote:Yeah, Dinosaur Jr. is awesome. I've seen them live twice since they've reunited and they were GREAT both times.

Also to make this thread a little less OT, a jazzmaster into a fuzzed out orange will easily get you into J. Mascis ballpark tone. Someone should tell him he doesnt need 3 fullstacks and a big muff to get there ;)
I was shouting that to him from the back of the Paradiso but nobody could hear me let alone him...

Great band, love the music, but thought the live sound was about the worst I've ever heard, just WAY too loud. Practically redefined 'OTT' for me in fact. Guess that is part of the point though... :?

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Agree, they are really tight live, but there is so much volume considering the size of most places they play.

And I think it's more like a few dozen Big Muffs, not just one. :lol:
- Nathan

thehoj

Post by thehoj » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:50 pm

I saw them in a venue of about 200 people.. 3 full stacks, cranked, as usual. Just crazy loud, loudest concert I've ever been to. It had me wishing I brought ear plugs.
'09 Am Std Tele > Korg PB > Klon Clone > Ibanez PH7 > AD30HTC + 212 THD style cab (w/ WGS vet30 + et65)

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:44 pm

Ive been meaning to get more into them for a while.

What are the essential albums?
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:42 pm

Honestly they don't have any bad records. If you want to go classic first "You're Living All Over Me" is probably the most solid album IMO. Really though, none of them suck. If you want more produced "Without A Sound" is the classic "big" Dinosaur record although it's more of a J Mascis solo record in a way. I think he's playing drums on the album although I could be wrong.

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:49 am

I saw them in Zuerich this year. Man i really enjoyed that gig. It was awesome but... i made the same experience. It was freaking crazy loud. Beyond loud. My ears ringed for 4 days after that gig. The first day after the gig was like the sickest tinnitus ever. I never ever had such ringing ears. I don't get it. Is he deaf or crazy? I mean, it does not sound good at this level. It's sick.

What i really like about this band is their realness. I mean they are pro's but they always sound like a very good local band in some cases. I mean, mistakes here and there, who gives a dollywaggle. It's more emotional if you ask me. I feel like their songs never get old. I even love the songs of the bass player haha!

I also think there aren't any bad records. I showed Dinosaur Jr. to all of my bandmembers and they freaking love it. But let me tell you, our drummer is not a true rock listener, he's more a roots/dub guy and he was killed by that band. That really got him into rock. freaking awesome, it changed his styled of playing, it's really cool to feel the influence of some great bands...
Last edited by TESLA_EL34 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
accept darkness.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:50 am

You're Living All Over Me and Beyond are my two favorites.
- Nathan

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:04 am

Mine are Sludgefeast & Said the People.

I was just walking around the campus and for the first time in my life i listend to "said the people".
I really had a bad time and a crap happened. People died, i was sick as hell and everything seemed fricked up.
I just was at a point where i thought...that's too much for everyone.

Some sort of "dollywaggle that's life" and when the solo jumped in i just wanted to cry.
But that was not a bad moment. That was great. It gave me a lot of hope.

By the way, the band has such a fricked up chemistry. Lou is more of the open & friendly guy,
while J Mascis is kinda very shy and autistic. He is like the shyest guy ever and his presence feels very nervous.
But once he hits the first string, you're fricked. The solo's are like the most emotional soap opera you've ever seen haha!
I love the long and neverending solos.
accept darkness.

thehoj

Post by thehoj » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:34 am

Their new album is actually REALLY good too. Definitely worth listening to.
'09 Am Std Tele > Korg PB > Klon Clone > Ibanez PH7 > AD30HTC + 212 THD style cab (w/ WGS vet30 + et65)

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:48 am

yep. perfect in the car! and on the train... and while drinking with friends :D
accept darkness.

WAWBanks
Orange Hero

Post by WAWBanks » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:19 pm

Farm is outstanding. The guitar tone on the first track alone will blow you away

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 pm

Farm is great. To be honest, I'd rather listen to both Beyond and Farm than anything pre-reunion, save for You're Living All Over Me.
- Nathan