Wow- what a weird gig!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Wow- what a weird gig!

Post by bclaire » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:45 pm

We played last night- and our drummer, Skippy, had a bout with food poisoning although the rest of us had no idea how bad he was! 3/4 of the way through the first set he had to literally crawl off stage since everything was spinning and he had to throw up. Poor guy- he's throwing up in the DJ booth as the DJ is playing Lady Gaga, which would make me throw up, too. So he had to leave, and a drummer friend of ours, Pete Dayolas, who plays in a Pink Floyd tribute, sat in for second set. Then third set, our friend Kevin Fig, who plays with Extreme, sat in. What a crazy night of cueing drummers and we probably played better because we had to pay attention so closely to the arrangements! He's better today, but what a riot! He does the money too, so last night we're calling our soundman over- 'Hey Bear- what do we pay you?'

Like Johnny Rotten said: "It would be f'ing monotonous if every gig was good!"

Frank looks like he was having fun though:

Whole band before Skippy fell ill:

Brought out my '66 Strat for the first time in years:

Stook with Kevin Fig from Extreme:

and me having a laugh at the whole turn of events:

Gallery is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Allen ... 972&ref=mf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

defrag
Orange Expert

Re: Wow- what a weird gig!

Post by defrag » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:13 pm

Great pics! sorry about Skippy :(
Mesa Roadster, Egnater Rebel, Orange Terror, Blackheart Giant • Ric 360MG, Schecter C1, Martin OMC15, Moog Phatty/6 Foogers, Korg microXL/Electribe MX • Alesis, Boss, Mackie, Peterson, Radial ( o )==#
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/music.html ♪♫

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Yeah, that's a bummer about being sick, I've played a few gigs really sick, I think it definitely makes for a fun (or at bare min. interesting) gig.

Great pics though, what's that shirt you're wearing Billy?

And that strat looks amazing. How's that rosewood feel when you bend notes on the fretboard?

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:06 pm

Great pics Billy, looks like a fab time! Hope Skippy is feeling better.
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:35 pm

Where’s everybody’s shoes? :?
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:55 pm

Sooner wrote:Where’s everybody’s shoes? :?
I know, huh? Frank's always gone barefoot and now Stook does too at gigs. I wore my black cowboy boots- since there was broken glass on the floor near me, I wasn't about to go barefoot. Plus Frank had to clean his feet off in a snowbank outside afterwards! ha ha ha

Neil- that's a t-shirt from The Rat- a Boston landmark club that sadly went the way of CBGB's. Gone forever, but it was the starting point for many bands from Boston and otheriwse in the 70's and 80's. Think The Cars, Los Lobos, The Police, etc. all played there... plus a ton of punk bands.

And the fingerboard of that Strat is like butter- that guitar is so fast. Shame I don't like the sound of Strats much anymore. It plays great! But it's probably worth too much to really take out of the house any longer...

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:59 pm

I'm impressed he managed to do any drumming at all with food poisoning!!

Nice pics though! 8)
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:32 pm

Wow, even Spinal Tap didn't manage to go through 3 drummers in one gig :mrgreen:

Sounds like a crazy night, glad it all turned out OK in the end, looks like you had fun despite the setbacks!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:41 pm

Yeah, the shots may have helped, too.

Props to Kevin Fig, though, because we got him to do our closer, Won't Get Fooled Again despite the fact that he didn't know it! I kept telling him 'step outside your comfort zone' and it worked out fabulously! Wish we'd recorded it!

I was thinking about The Rat, though and found a couple of things online about it-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rathskellar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bostonphoenix.com/archive/mu ... E_RAT.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The list of bands who played there was amazing. I was there one night watching The Real Kids and there was a guy sitting quietly on the stone alcove to the left of the stage. At one point, the band announced 'we're going to get a friend of our up to play harmonica' and Steve Tyler hopped down and went up to play harp. Awesome. There were literally rats sometimes in there and I remember being in the mens room in February trying to keep the mosquitoes from landing on me!

Saw a youtube video clip of a show where the guy goes into The Rat (also known for a-hole bouncers, too) and finally down the stairs and into the club. It was eerie to watch that- like revisiting a part of my life like a ghost!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymPiVv-ArdE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chimpboyjay1
Orange Expert

Post by chimpboyjay1 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:08 pm

I just looked through some of your photos on facebook; and I think i've said it before, but i'll say it again - I freaking love your gold leaf tele :D
Jamie T

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:43 am

Nice, I'm wondering if there's a way to sand or smooth rosewood to get it to play like it's 40 years old. Hmmm. The new rosewood stuff just feels like I should be wiping my hands on it every chance I get to smooth it out a bit.

CBGB's place looks crazy, is this the place you're talking about Billy?

http://www.bravadousa.com/cbgb/pano/pano.html. That's a cool idea. I do feel like I need a shower though, it looks like a raw place. :D

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:10 am

chimpboyjay1 wrote:I just looked through some of your photos on facebook; and I think i've said it before, but i'll say it again - I freaking love your gold leaf tele :D
Yeah, that came out pretty nice I have to say!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:17 am

Oh, and forgot to mention- my AD30TC sounded so good last night- big HUGE sound!

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:35 am

Food poisoning is bad news.I had it about a week ago.It knocked me down for about twenty hours.It is good that you had other drummers to save the gig.My bass player has been sick for a while,so my wife is working with the bass.Rhythm guitar players are a dime a dozen, but it can be a challenge to find a really good bass player or drummer.
I can find plenty of drummers that suck.
Last edited by Bluz57 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:40 am

Looks like you had a blast. Sorry to hear about your drummer though.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;