Thinking about First Orange

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ufguy73

Thinking about First Orange

Post by ufguy73 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:24 am

Hi All,

I hafve always been a fender amp guy and still love them.

However, I just acquired my first Les Paul and it is demanding something a little more british and in your face. To be truthful, my first inclination was to get a Marshall because many of the tones I would like to achieve (i.e. 60s-70s blues/ classic rock - hendrix, clapton, zeppelin, etc.) are done with those amps. BUT, i will be using the amp mostly at home and from the few marshalls and oranges i have been able to try out the MV and tones at lower volume seem to be better with the orange.

SO, given the tones that i am trying to achieve (and bearing in mind my home use) what orange amp would you recommend. I was able to try the TT but did not care for that amp. It was very hard to dial in just on the edge of breakup sweet tone...the gain was a little too 'griniding' or something. I also tried a rockerverb50 and liked the overdrive on that much more than the TT - but it was a little bit like my fenders...not quite 'british' enough if that makes sense.

Would you suggest something else in the lineup? Two that i wish i could try but can not are the rocker 30 and the ad30tc. would those be good fits for what i am looking for and how would they compare to the TT and the rockerverb50?

thanks in advance!!

feider
Lord of Orange

Re: Thinking about First Orange

Post by feider » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:26 am

I would say the ad30 would be the best choice. That is going to get you in the territory you want.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:22 am

AD30 or Thunderverb 50
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:50 am

Rocker 30. Amazingly effective master volume knob, and great versatility. Don't be afraid of the single-knob clean channel, it's amazingly open and really brings out the various tones in your guitars.

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:49 am

Welcome to the forum :D

Love my AD30, more classic sounding than the rocker(verb)s. It sounds decent at low volumes, but to really appreciate it it has to be cranked

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:02 am

From the sound of it, one of the AD series amps sounds like it might suit you best.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:43 am

Another +1 for AD30, based on your requirements. It has a much sweeter edge of breakup tone than the TT.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:24 am

You should still consider getting an attenuator for home use though..
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:01 pm

Orphin wrote:You should still consider getting an attenuator for home use though..
I'd agree that you will not get great sounds at bedroom levels with any of the above amps, regardless of having an attenuator or not! I'd say you have to decide on your priorities - if you are going to be gigging and can put up with slightly weaker home performance, any of the 30w+ amps will be fine. If you are all about home playing and can't live without power tube saturation at low volume levels, best to buy a much lower wattage amp in the 0.5-5w range.

If you want both and won't compromise, you need to buy an amp with power scaling such as the Matamp 1224.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

ufguy73

Post by ufguy73 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:10 pm

hey guys - thanks for the thoughts so far!

would the OR50 or Retro50 be way too much for home use? I see that they are also geared toward a very 'vintage' sound?

thanks!