Fuzz and the Tiny Terror: Suggestions, please!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mauro Samuel

Post by Mauro Samuel » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:44 pm

I still did not use it with my band but I will try soon ( I bought my amp just 3 days ago). I made a test using a 1x12 cabinet and a 4x12. With the 4x12 it looks much more lauder, but you can´t consider the TT as concert amp.

The problem with bigger amps is that you will need much more volume to get the same sweet overdrive tone that you can get with a 15w or 7w amp but with an angry drummer near you will be dificult to keep your TT clean.

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:56 pm

If you do sell it, sell it to me... cheap :wink:

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hgain
Rocker

Post by Hgain » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:09 pm

Twangpunk wrote:Thanks Bro, but have you tried it at "concert level"? (Loud enough to play with others) Without my gain up fairly high my TT isn't particularly loud, and w/the gain up pedals lose their character/bite.

People seem to think the TTs natural overdrive is hard to beat but can't you crank a 50 Watt Orange for a similar effect?

I'm at a crossroads here. Love the TT for what it is but I really need more watts for the new band....
I have both the Tiny Terror and a OR50....and yes you can crank a 50 watt Orange and get GREAT overdrive....(you ask this question above)...but here is my 5 cents....on fuzz pedals or all pedals for that matter....most of us buy Orange amps for the way they sound WITH NO PEDALS.....the amps have character and tone....90% of the time I use NO PEDALS...people can't believe it....how do you get that tone ??? I am sorry but I LOL at players who put a cheap , cheesy sounding pedal in front of a GOOD amp.... Orange certianily included....If you want fuzz , distortion or Overdrive out of a pedal into an Orange....you have to turn the gain WAY down....and then WHY have an Orange anyway ???? You can buy a cheap Peavey or Solid state amp and go pedal crazy.....with the Tiny Terror a good boost works fine ( SHO or Xotic Booster ) and if your short on cash a MXR micro amp. When you start mucking things up with lots of pedals in front of an Orange your altering the beautiful overdrive , gain and tone. Now I know that many with rip me on this cuz some guys have 200 pedals and are great players....but they know how to set them right and use them spairingly....chorus , delay etc are great but cranking an Overdrive , fuzz , or distortion pedal in front of an Orange usually sounds like Sh#t in IMHO.....The Tiny Terror is not a 50 watter...its good for small gigs , can be miked etc...mine has the Jule mod and it wil not give you significantly more head room...Tomorrow I have an outdoor gig and will use my OR50....pedals...?? yes, my tuner , Clyde Wah , Uni-Vibe and Xotic BB Pre amp for solo boost ONLY....With this set up I can cover Trower , Hendrix , Kenny Wayne Shepherd , ZZ Top , ZEP etc....and on most songs NO PEDALS ....just that lovely Orange Overdriven sustained wall of beautiful sound......hope you find the combination that works for you. :D 8)

Mauro Samuel

Post by Mauro Samuel » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:29 pm

Hgain wrote:
Twangpunk wrote:Thanks Bro, but have you tried it at "concert level"? (Loud enough to play with others) Without my gain up fairly high my TT isn't particularly loud, and w/the gain up pedals lose their character/bite.

People seem to think the TTs natural overdrive is hard to beat but can't you crank a 50 Watt Orange for a similar effect?

I'm at a crossroads here. Love the TT for what it is but I really need more watts for the new band....
I have both the Tiny Terror and a OR50....and yes you can crank a 50 watt Orange and get GREAT overdrive....(you ask this question above)...but here is my 5 cents....on fuzz pedals or all pedals for that matter....most of us buy Orange amps for the way they sound WITH NO PEDALS.....the amps have character and tone....90% of the time I use NO PEDALS...people can't believe it....how do you get that tone ??? I am sorry but I LOL at players who put a cheap , cheesy sounding pedal in front of a GOOD amp.... Orange certianily included....If you want fuzz , distortion or Overdrive out of a pedal into an Orange....you have to turn the gain WAY down....and then WHY have an Orange anyway ???? You can buy a cheap Peavey or Solid state amp and go pedal crazy.....with the Tiny Terror a good boost works fine ( SHO or Xotic Booster ) and if your short on cash a MXR micro amp. When you start mucking things up with lots of pedals in front of an Orange your altering the beautiful overdrive , gain and tone. Now I know that many with rip me on this cuz some guys have 200 pedals and are great players....but they know how to set them right and use them spairingly....chorus , delay etc are great but cranking an Overdrive , fuzz , or distortion pedal in front of an Orange usually sounds like Sh#t in IMHO.....The Tiny Terror is not a 50 watter...its good for small gigs , can be miked etc...mine has the Jule mod and it wil not give you significantly more head room...Tomorrow I have an outdoor gig and will use my OR50....pedals...?? yes, my tuner , Clyde Wah , Uni-Vibe and Xotic BB Pre amp for solo boost ONLY....With this set up I can cover Trower , Hendrix , Kenny Wayne Shepherd , ZZ Top , ZEP etc....and on most songs NO PEDALS ....just that lovely Orange Overdriven sustained wall of beautiful sound......hope you find the combination that works for you. :D 8)
Last edited by Mauro Samuel on Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mauro Samuel

Post by Mauro Samuel » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:08 am

Mauro Samuel wrote:
Hgain wrote:

Hey! I need to change my opinion about using a FUZZ with the TT amp.
Today I made some tests at medium and high volume settings. If you add more fuzz vol and less fuzz drive it will sound good. At least my Fuzz Face JH1 worked fine with the TT using a strat and I could get some really great fuzz tones.
Last edited by Mauro Samuel on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Re: Fuzz and the Tiny Terror: Suggestions, please!

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:00 pm

Twangpunk wrote:I know the Tiny Terror is notorious for not playing nicely with pedals, esp. with the gain up to any degree but I'm trying to figure out what to do to correct my problem in the cheapest way possible:

I finally got a nice fuzz pedal (Ashbass Fuzzbrite) because I need that buzzy, 60s fuzz and it sounded great through the little solid state practice amp at home but when I took it to practice and ran it (and my Telecaster) through the TT, and the Orange 2x12 it sounded pretty cool, but guess what....THE FUZZ went away. Not the buzzy, velcro-ripping sound I was drooling over the night before. Yikes! :cry:

I tried every combo of pick-up setting, tone knob, etc. to no avail. About the only thing I didn't do was lower the gain to under high-noon because if I did the drummer would drown me out (Volume is maxed out). I'm not interested in getting a bigger, louder head right now but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've considered upgrading the tubes and/or getting some kind of mod (Jule perhaps) for more headroom but otherwise I'm at a loss.

Fellas?
Try a pick-up booster pedal and not having the TT gain set so high. The greatest problem for trying to play it straight-out is simply a lack of power as others have stated. Mic it and you're OK.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:24 pm

I use a Fulltone '69 with my TT.
Gain of the TT is set at 13:00 and the Fuzz almost all the way up.
But i can't really say that the '69 is a wild fuzz. It's more of the gentler sort. So basically my answer is useless....
Anyway, i do get good results with TT and Fuzz. So do keep trying different settings before dumping the whole thing.

That's my €0,02.

Grtz, Bert.
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

Mauro Samuel

Post by Mauro Samuel » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:04 pm

Foef wrote:I use a Fulltone '69 with my TT.
Gain of the TT is set at 13:00 and the Fuzz almost all the way up.
But i can't really say that the '69 is a wild fuzz. It's more of the gentler sort. So basically my answer is useless....
Anyway, i do get good results with TT and Fuzz. So do keep trying different settings before dumping the whole thing.

That's my €0,02.

Grtz, Bert.
Today I got some great tones using a fuzz face JH-1 at high volumes with gain at 12:00 to 13:00 but with less fuzz gain and more fuzz vol. Using it that way I could get a great booster effect but with some fuzz colors without that awful over gain cliping sound.

Twangpunk
Tiny Terror

Post by Twangpunk » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:41 pm

Thanks all....I'm still at it. Going through a more powerful PA seems to be helping a bit and I'll try lowering the gain on the pedal substantially asap...

SD Pickup Booster is rocking my world for overdrive at the moment!

MIM Telecaster
Some Cheap Pedals
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC212