I'm starting to bond with my Tiny Terror!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:24 am

I've had my <b>Tiny Terror</b> for just under 3 weeks, and it's really starting to grow on me.

For the first week or two, I was a little ambivalent about whether I made the right choice. No matter how much I research a new purchase, I always end up with some short-term Buyer's Remorse, and the TT was no different.

I've only been playing 18 months, and I'm no tone snob. I just wanted to get a simple, high-quality, low-wattage tube amp for jamming and practicing at home. This little amp is LOUD, but I've found my sweet spot with the volume at 7:30, the tone at 3:00, and the gain between 2:00 and 3:00 that's just AWESOME.

Some people have said the TT is a <b>"One Trick Pony"</b>. That's only partially true: it's a freakin' <b>"One Trick Bronco"</b>! This thing kicks out classic rock 'n' roll tones like there's no tomorrow. I'm playing my new <b>Gibson SG Classic</b> through this rig, and nothing comes close to the snarl of the P90's. ;)

I've paired the TT up with an <b>Avatar 1x12 cab</b> loaded with a Hellatone 30, the broken-in Celestion G12H30. I'm still second-guessing that choice, and am curious what things would sound like with a Hellatone 60 (or Celestion Vintage 30). The Orange 1x12 cabs come stock with Vintage 30's, and the Tiny Terror is voiced for this cab. But if I'm really curious, I can always satisfy that curiousity by dropping $90 for a different speaker and then selling the "runner up" on eBay.

The only downside so far is that the TT needs A LOT more volume to really shine compared to my solid state amps, but that's a tradeoff I can live with.

jdavis
Rocker

Post by jdavis » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:57 am

I set the knobs on my TT the same as you except by the end of the nite the volume is dimed. Just can't help it!
2 tiny terrors,Krank rev jr,pacific woodworks 412, 4 theile ported 112's w/ 25 watt greenbacks, Crate power block, Framptone 3 banger,85 explorer,jackson strat,jay turser semi hollow,custom tele, bad horsie wah, ibanez sound tank delay, member #15 Tiny Terror club

Wild Bill
Tiny Terror

Post by Wild Bill » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:04 am

Me Too, I love the Tiny Terror. I have a V30, Blue alnico, Tone Tubby Alnico, but I'm looking to get a G12H. I tried a pair of G12H speakers in a 2x12 cabinet and really liked it. I like the nice balanced sound without any one area taking over as far as the frequency.
Wild Bill- Tiny Terror Club Member #4
http://www.soundclick.com/wildbillsbluesandrock

^ 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard Custom Shop Reissue,Tobacco Burst Gloss Finish, Flametop.

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:57 am

My original plan was to make a mini stack of two 1x12 Avatars, one with a G12H30 and the other with a Vintage 30.

On paper, that still seems like a good plan, but realistically a couple of stacked 1x12's will be much too loud for a home practice rig!

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:16 am

I've recently added another 1x12 and now have 2 on top of each other. Both are currently equipped with V30s, although one of the cabs is 3/4 backed and the other closed back.

It creates IMO a much fuller sound without getting much louder. I currently have my TT set with slightly less gain, maybe around 1ish, with the voulme about 9.30, tone at 12.

Glad you're liking yours! :D It's a great amp. It's really grown on me recently. I think two avatars stacked would sound great, and give you loads of flexibility.
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:26 pm

The simplicity. That is what maked it so great.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

omnirife

Post by omnirife » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Great stuff. I love my little beast too. I bought it about two months ago and I was also unsure about whether i'd made the right choice. I'd previously owned a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for two years and the change was quite drastic - the TT doesn't have as much high end, but it was suddenly like discovering the existence of distortion and bass. Fender amp drive sounds like cardboard compared to this thing. I love the TT's heavy duty distorted tone and rich lightly distorted tones: the amount of detail in there is excellent, especialling the harmonic content. I am running it into a Marshall 2x12, which seems up to the job.

Mudder1310
Rocker

Post by Mudder1310 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm finding out that "one trick pony" is only what people say when they don't turn knobs. It's easy to find a sweet spot with the TT. Maybe that's the one trick. But I use settings all over the board.

Typically for classic rock: Tone at 1:00 gain at 1:00, adjust to taste with guitar volume.
Blues: Tone at 12:00, gain at 11:30
Modern/80's rock: Tone dimed, gain anywhere from 3:00 to dime with clean boost for solo.
Clean: Tone at 1:00, gain at 10:00 This can be a nice sparkly clean if you work on it a bit.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:53 pm

I have an rv100 that had to be sent back a week after i got it so the dude in the shop let me borrow a TT for a month and i have to say it was among the best guitar playing months of my life it is an excellent amp that does everything. i brought it round to my mates houses and we put it thru a hughes and kettner 4x12 cab (part of a warp 7 rig) which is only desgined for balls to the wall metal. we played a tele thru it and got the chunky metal tones. i used it thru an orange 2x12 and its sooo versatile its crazy blues, jazz, country, rock of all types and an unreal lead tone albeit more saturated than thru a marshall or the hughes and kettner. this amp is meant to be experimented with so if u got mates with cabs bring the little demon round there and plug in and play thats what the little bag is for. enjoy the TT i gotta get one myself A MONTH IS NOT ENOUGH!

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Don't worry, I have yet to find anything that wasn't a One Trick Pony.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:32 pm

Congrats on loving your new TT amp.
I love mine. I don't think you should worry about your H30 selection.
It is great speaker with the TT. I have one ppc1x12 with an H30, and one with a V30.
The V30 is little more modern rock (to my ears) and together the TT really screams.

~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:47 pm

All you guys who are <b>diming </b> the TT must be playing in sound proof rooms or something! There's no way I'll be able to get past 7:30 or 8:30 when jamming "quietly" at home in the evenings!

I do like the idea of trying out other cabs with the TT. Overall, I'm happy with my Avatar 1x12 with the G12H30 -- I'm just curious what a V30 would sound like, that's all. Thankfully, I have access to many other cabs. I work for a very, very, very large software company in Redmond, WA, and there's a lot of interest in my TT on one of the non-work related music e-mail aliases. Lots of folks would like to try out the TT. I'm going to suggest that anyone who is willing to haul in a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet can jam with me down in the <b>parking garage</b> for 60 minutes!

They'll get to experience some Tiny Terror-inspired <b>mayhem</b>, and I'll get to hear some different cabinet voicings. Everyone wins!

buscemi
Orange Expert

Post by buscemi » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:49 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Armchair Bronco</i>
<br />All you guys who are <b>diming </b> the TT must be playing in sound proof rooms or something! There's no way I'll be able to get past 7:30 or 8:30 when jamming "quietly" at home in the evenings!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

What? I can't hear you! Hehehe. Well, yeah, but someday you'll say screw it and dime it f**k all to what the neighbors say!

I have an Avatar 1x12 with a Hellatone 30 and an Avatar 2x12 with V30s. I personally lean toward the V30s, I think they sound better with the amp but I do like the G12H30 as well - it is just a different speaker for different uses.
- Peter
ImageImage
We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:53 pm

I played one dimed in the store, and it didnt seem deafing loud. But, it was sweet.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

socksandnails
Tiny Terror

Post by socksandnails » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:03 pm

My Avatar 2x12 Vintage open back cabinet with Hellatone 60s just showed up yesterday via DHL.

I've been so busy at work that this thread (which I'm reading in my only five minutes between meetings) reminded me that I got it, and should play it through the TT tonight.

How messed up is that? [:(!]