Orange/Matamp Prototype - possibly - Help required

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

acepdistra

Post by acepdistra » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:20 pm

Hi

Some of you may have been following my post in the serial numbers section of this site and will already know the story, for those that are unaware I shall give you the short version.

I bought my amp 28 years ago - seldom used it - was advised by a friend it may be worth a couple of hundred pounds - tried to find out the model and type of amp I had - brick wall.

Nothing like it on any Orange or Matamp site, so I posted here and the Matamp site as well as the PlexiPalace site asking for help in identifying it.

I have always intended to sell the amp but wanted to find out more about it, especially when I had a hard time finding anything like it.

I had a good response from the Orange forum contributers and eventually contacted Matamp on their advice. The outcome of contacting Matamp and sending pictures was that the amp was either a Matamp Series 2000 that was damaged and repaired with Orange parts or it may have been a very early Orange/Matamp prototype. I had to take the amp to the factory for a full inspection.

Two years later and now in the present - the amp is at the Matamp factory and has been seen by the original builder.
The amp has been dated as 1968 and is almost certainly a prototype, although this can not be confirmed 100% as of yet.
The amp is verified as a Matamp Series 2000.
The case and faceplate are non Series 2000.

The amp has also been tested and is now fully functioning.

I did try contacting Orange as well to see if there was anyone there that would be able to help - I am still waiting for a reply.

I am now asking for help to try to get to the bottom of this mystery and now that I have a bit more info I know what I am asking for.

I am looking for the earliest pictures of Orange/Matamps - preferably dated. Or any information at all that may be usefull.

This amp looks like it is going to be a piece of history - it may well turn out to be the first Orange.

This is my original post
http://www.orangeamps.com/forumtest/top ... IC_ID=1207

This is the Second post with updated info
http://www.orangeamps.com/forumtest/top ... IC_ID=1277

I hope someone can help.

Andy

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:12 am

I've sent you an e-mail.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:15 am

Just spoke to Jeff. It was John Firth who authenticated the amp.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.